Road Ride Report Mountain Biking is good training for road riding - Solvang Century

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Abui, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    I did my first "official" century on Saturday with a friend training for the CC. (In the previous millennium I had some long training rides.)

http://app.strava.com/activities/5038098

We started early in the morning with fog and cold air. My fingers froze in the icy wind but "I'm a cyclist".

It was fun to speed on smooth roads and go through intersections with the CHP or Deputy waving you through. We cruised and chatted with a couple. Amazing coincidence that the other male had also done VQ on a SS.

Everything went well. There were strong headwinds but the toughest part of the ride was some decayed asphalt. I have new respect for riders on Paris-Roubaix. I need a new bike!

I heeded the rule of don't change anything on race day so I wore baggies and a Camelbak. I took some kidding about the weight but this is a training ride! Baggies are good for stuffing the pockets with food. The Camelbak was for water, tools and clothing layers for both of us. On an easy climb I held the camera over my shoulder and hoped for the best!

shoulder.jpg

2. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    Congrats on completing 'the' classic California century!

I used to love that century and did it a bunch of times. Headwinds? Yeah, at least on the first half. But that's what all those other riders are for. ;)
    Tuck into a group, recover a bit; then bridge to the next one.

Same deal with the gear. You're right about not changing anything at the last minute, but camelbaks and baggy shorts catch the wind on a road bike. So.. more resistance for training, but slower in the wind.

Now if you're in the mood for another great century, try the High Sierra Fall Century in Mammoth this September (http://www.fallcentury.org/). Then ride your mountain bike the next day. :)

3. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    I almost signed up during my last visit to Mammoth. But the traffic on 395 is high speed. Maybe this year.

4. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    I love road riding that part of the coast. The Santa Ynez Valley, and northward is incredible. Jealous!

5. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    That part of 395 is a divided highway and has a wide shoulder with a rumble strip, so it's actually pretty safe. Plus, you're off it early and then it's low-traffic country roads the rest of the way. Remote and beautiful.

6. lorax

lorax New Member

I've always thought of my "road riding as good training for mountain biking" rather than the other way around. The VQ used to be scheduled the week after Solvang and I used it as my last big training ride before VQ. Haven't done VQ in awhile now but I rarely miss Solvang.

I didn't see many out there with camelbaks, much less in baggy shorts, and I think we may have seen you at some point along the way. I'll second the cold start though - I was freezing even though I was well prepared.

7. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Congrats Doug.... looks like it was a good ride. When I was racing mountain bikes, I spent 75% of my time on the road as part of my training... I figured that Deadly Neddly couldn't be wrong about this. I've gotten away from riding on the road lately but did do 60 miles this last weekend riding from Dana Point down to Oceanside and back and found that I've really misses the road (gasp!).

8. Mdm. Dabalot

Mdm. Dabalot New Member

High Sierra Fall Century rocks!

If you like the photo in this picture, imagine the Eastern Sierra in the background. That is the Fall Century - empty roads, beautiful views, great food and Mammoth!

9. Skid Row

Skid Row Member

I did the Solvang Century year as my first Century. It was a great ride, and i am looking forward to doing this one next year. Yes.. freezing my bum off in the morning, and warming up by noon.

I ride mostly MTB, but quite a few of my neighbors all ride road. I found that the road distance definately helped my MTB endurance. But probably to no ones suprise, I believe that MTB riding sharpens your handling skills for when you are on the road. There were a few crashes that happend on this year's century. A guy next to me during part of the ride hit the tarmac when he hit a small debris with his front tire. I recall hitting a few too.. it suprised me a bit, but nothing close to running into a babyhead rock at 15 miles an hour coming down a dirt trail...

So I guess I am saying that both disciplines will end up helping the other... just as long as you are out there riding and enjoying the ride !