Mountain Biking and Weight Loss?

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by LadiesMan, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

Definitely not always the case. It depends primarily on diet, exercise is secondary. Calories consumed < calories burned and you will lose weight, if you justify eating crap by riding then you aren't really getting anywhere with weight loss.

2. socal_eric

socal_eric New Member

Computer stuff
    Since last summer I've been able to ride with greater consistency and have lost around 30 pounds from my max but have been at a plateau with body fat percentage slowly dropping and stuck around the same weight range. This is riding on average a hundred miles a week for 7-10 hours, give or take, with some diet changes for the better.

I ride primarily for enjoyment but also to push myself and the general fitness as a bonus. By body fat I could comfortably stand to drop another twenty pounds and that's my goal by fall. Studying up a little more on using my biking tools such as GPS and heart rate monitor more effectively, I seem to be stuck in one zone always semi-pushing myself on every ride and burning carbs but not as much fat. The plan is to try mixing up ride intensity and do more formal interval-type training mixed in with regular rides along with further diet changes.

Just riding more has increased strength and endurance but I'm still well into the clydesdale range and know there's room for improvement.

3. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

I could ride non stop for 6 months and not drop a pound. For a matter of fact, I'd probably gain weight.
    Not everybody's body reacts the same.

4. wheeler

wheeler Member

I have ridden 1-3 times a week for the last 20 years. Two years ago I dropped 40 lbs.....how?

Changed my diet

You are better off watching your diet than riding more

5. stevemacko

stevemacko Member

I rode a ton as a kid... First century and mini-triathlon at 12... Kept that up through my late teens. Fast forward 20+ years, and I was pushing 300 pounds. I bought a cheap Diamondback 29er and rode Live Oak in O'Neill a few times per week. I had to stop 10 times in the beginning just to reach the bench... Which was all of 3 miles from the house.

Two years later and I routinely go out for 30-50 miles on the road or trails, and I'm maintaining around 195-200. The bike certainly helps, but for me it's all about counting. Use more energy than you take in...

Next goal... The Julian Death March! :)

If I can drop the weight and get in shape, anybody can!

6. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors Climbing > desending

2015 Giant XTC
    I have way too many variables to blame it all on MTB. Two years ago I quit smoking, took up walking and riding, and now running also. I went from 186 to 166 (at 5'7") in about 5 months. Today I weigh 169. I changed my diet to more veggies and fruits, smaller portions, and less red meat. I still enjoy a steak, just not as often. The unavoidable facts for weight loss and lipids is portion control Everything in moderation, period. I have way more energy now than I did then. I'm much more active and I don't overeat to compensate. Sure, I felt hungry for a few months, but now I don't. My blood pressure is now good; my cholesterol is perfect; my resting pulse went from 80 to 54. But I think that's more due to running recently than the MTB or road biking.

Burning 1,200 - 6,000 calories on a ride helps. 500 calories per run 3 - 4 times a week helps more. I usually can't ride much during the week unless I want to commute to work, which I do a couple times a week during the daylight savings time hours. 35 miles round trip.

I don't obsess over what I eat. I still have the occasional hamburger & fries; the very occasional polish sausage from Portillo's...

I've never been a big soda drinker, so maybe that helped. I've always liked broccoli, asparagus, squash, and beer. Carbs and vitamins are not an issue.

Eat what you like, but as with anything keep the portions proportionate.