Mountain Biking and Weight Loss?

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by LadiesMan, Apr 30, 2009.

1. LadiesMan

LadiesMan Pro Member

General Contractor
    Home Page:
    Dude your story sounds the same as mine, let's ride together! I'm hitting Aliso Woods and Laguna almost every day right now.

2. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    I quit biking about 10 years ago and took a corporate graphics gig and by '03 I was up to 312lbs from 230lbs..

I needed to lose weight just so I could work out to lose weight.

I went to eating normal portions and moderate exercise and within 10 months lost over 80lbs.

I have since gained 30 of it back with the demands of work - but no more!

Bought a bike last year, and while it has been tougher than I expected, it has also been a lot more fun than I remembered.

Too bad you are in OC. Any similar folks in the 818 that are getting back into the saddle?
    Lost

3. LadiesMan

LadiesMan Pro Member

General Contractor
    Home Page:
    Update:

Since reading everyone's inspiring tales, I've got a new motivation going that I haven't had in years. In the past week since I originally posted this thread I've ridden over 9 hours out in Aliso and Laguna by my house and have climbed almost 6000 feet according to GeoLadders. I also picked up a Garmin 305 at the suggestion of y'all and it's great. (On Amazon it's 186 OTD w/ HR and two day shipping) Just the day after posting this thread I was already starting to feel stronger, and now it's almost like every other ride the same hills seem to get smaller. This is great.

Seems like the biggest enemy now isn't as much the lack of leg strength, but the lack of overall energy after about 3 hours of riding. Probably just a hump I need to get over. One thing helping in that regard are Gu packs, they f'ing work man! I can't believe the lift I feel 15 min after downing one of those!

One more thing I've noticed; the days I ride, I have that much more motivation to eat right, like as if I don't want to sabotage the progress I made that day, but the days I take off to rest, I start to sink back into my old habits.

This is great, almost makes being slow at work a good thing...

4. SKINNY

SKINNY Lube, Ride, Repeat

Home Page:
    keep at it.. be consistent.. eat sensible.. your weight will drop.. I am currently riding at 295lbs and was 335 almost 2 years ago.. I just keep telling myself metal fatigue is a myth when bombing down hills.. :lol:

5. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

Don't underestimate the power of a nap!

6. xflite

xflite New Member

I wonder how the OP is now... From 2009 to 2014 how did the 5 year progress work........

7. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Federal Investigator
    I'm curious as well too. I've never viewed cycling as one of the better methods of weight loss in general. To me, it's more of a fun activity with fitness as a byproduct.

8. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

Doesn't work for me. I ride, it makes me hungry, so I eat a big fat burrito or something afterwards. I think I have actually gained weight. lol

9. launchpad

launchpad Member

Unemployed and Living In My Mom's Basement
    Orange County but want to move to the Inland Empir
    ^Yep and carbo loading before a big ride with beer, pasta and cake isn't helping much either.

10. 9er

9er New Member

Metal Fabricator/Artist
    Home Page:
    Holy resurrection batman!
    I know the OP has, for the most part, stuck with it and made some notable accomplishments.
    I think he's lurking in preparation for the CC so I'll wait for him to chime in on the details.

11. TranceRider

TranceRider No, I don't Ride a GIANT

IT Project Manager
    I hate you...:lol:

Seriously tho I've been sitting around 195 lbs with 13% body fat - I want to get to that 8-10% range which would put me down to 180-185 lbs. It's been rough! #-o

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

It does work.....went from 205-210 lbs down to 180-183 lbs in about a years time....and that takes into account the added muscle, especially from riding the SS.

Really did not change my diet....but increased my mileage and effort by a ton.

13. xflite

xflite New Member

So learning from the posts above ^^^^ its a hit or miss then....sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, well either way I will have a go at it.....hmmmm

14. HBkites

HBkites Member

If you ride 6-10 hrs per week, you will loose wight. No hit or miss about it...

15. surftime

surftime New Member

self employed
    maybe ill start another thread on this. But go gluten free and ride, you wont be sorry.... just give it a month and see how you feel

16. xflite

xflite New Member

HBkits and Surftime - I am looking to start a new thread on this..thanks for the encouragement - I actually ride Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday and Sunday, just started it about a week ago...so we will see how it is, well yesterday was a miss since it rained so gym cycle it is on days I can't ride..that should be comparable to a real ride....

17. LadiesMan

LadiesMan Pro Member

General Contractor
    Home Page:
    It's crazy this post came back. My progress? Went from 242 lbs to 190 at my peak about 4 months ago. Had some health issues and was off the bike for a while but now right around 205 and just jumped back in the saddle, with the target being 185. Owe it all to MTB and road riding. Signed up for the CC, but don't know if I'll finish.

To all those looking to lose some weight, get on the bike, and go climb the biggest hills you can. Keep at it, eat well, and you'll drop lbs left and right.

18. fenderbender

fenderbender New Member

Thats Killer! I signed up for a race series in 2013 which kept me pedaling with consistence and some goals and I have dropped about 20lbs in a year. I eat whatever I want, but the flip side is what I want is different now. I cleaned up my diet slowly over the last 3 years, especially in the carb dept. No longer is every meal wrapping in a bun, roll or tortilla and that has been replaced with carbs that work for me and give me better energy (more sweet potatoes, squash, veggies and rice) without all the grains and gluten. Plus eating more fats that are high in omega 3's and a fish oil supplement, I have cut the soreness way down too! Just my .02 cents!!

19. xflite

xflite New Member

Ladies man...hahaha and your thread lives on....Great job man! I am exactly on the same boat as you (Starting Point that is..) and looking to hit the same weight goal you have....lets see how I can hold up.....I am not a road biker at all..just MTB all day.... so lets see.......thanks for keeping it real...

20. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

Well . . . that depends what you eat. I ride that much, but . . . Two hours on Tuesday, but then go to the Food Trucks (and usually eat off two trucks, trying to cut down to one). Ride 3 hours on Saturday and then eat lunch with the HAB Crew (In n Out or something similar) and then ride 3-4 hours on Sunday and then eat a big lunch. Then all of the eating during the week when I get too lazy as a bachelor to cook and clean for myself. I also try to throw in a mid week El Moro ride at least every other week with the longer daylight.

All of that = no weight loss because I have been stress eating too much. :(