Minimum wage newb reporting!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Mudman, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Neccros

Neccros Technically Canadian

Engineer
    Again the Giro Xen is a good choice and the Fox Flux has been really popular as well as of lately... Great alternative to the Xen

2. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    yes I did check out the fox one as well. My concern right now is ventilation as I have a hard time breathing when my brain is getting fried by my helmet.

A lot of people seem to favor the xen. Although the Havoc is still on my list, because I will be needing a full face as well once I get the Yeti.

Oh and of course, I'd definantely Love to find an actual bike trail over anything else! haha not truck routes, such a newb mistake if not worse.#-o

3. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Hey Mudman, just in case you didn't read this, here you go. It's a requirement :)

4. genusmtbkr5

BTW, I just hosted a newbie ride on Black Star this past Sat. Sorry you missed it!

5. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    haha yes I read that post. Made me feel a lot more comfortable jumping on the forums. That post by SAR_boats was actually one of the most amusing ones I've read in a long time. I've been to a few forums where newbs get verbally attacked like no tomorrow for newb mistakes

its funny I missed the ride, because if I would have registered here on friday and surfed the forums a little bit I might have known. A buddy and myself went riding on saturday so its a shame we missed it. I had heat stroke or something just TRYING to pedal uphill, but found myself walking a lot. how about another newbie ride either at the end of this month or next month? I should have the Yeti by then (Big Maybe). just make sure its on a saturday or mid friday.

My buddy TwoLeggedHorse should be around soon. LOL If only I would have joined sooner:( those STR jerseys are sick!

BTW do you ever ride with a watch? I've always wondered what kind of watches mountain bikers wore if they did.

6. genusmtbkr5

There will be other newbie rides for sure, surgal has hosted 2 herself.

PM Lbmtb, he's the "Godfather" to see if he has any extras, if not there will be another 3rd batch soon.

Yes, Casio Pathfinder. comes with compass, altimeter, barometric reading, stop watch to time my rides(actual times, split times), 5 alarms, and of course time/date.

7. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    I wear the Giro Havoc and I am quite happy with it. It saved my noggin this weekend when I crashed. It is comfortable, has good venting, and is light weight. Reliable piece of gear.

8. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

:welcome:

I found that riding with a watch around my wrist was uncomfortable--of course, I don't like a watch on normal days, and you'll rarelly see me wearing one when I'm not at work.

That being said, I do use a Polar. But, I attach it to my handlebars. The Polar does HR, Altitude, speed/distance (if you have the accessories that I don't have), etc.

As long as you don't have a date afterwards and aren't worried about blowing yourself up on the ride (heart wise), that stuff can wait a bit. However, the HR monitor helps to keep you from blowing up on climbs.

If you really had heat stroke, or exhaustion (more likely, stroke ends you up in the hospital), be careful the next time you're out.

You need to make sure that you hydrate well, water and an electrolyte drink for long periods of time in the sun. Slowly acclimate to the heat by gradually increasing your time in it. Get a well vent helmet. If you start to get overheated, take a break, dump water on yourself, get in the shade--cool off. Right now, we're not too bad, but once it starts to get REALLY hot out, you may want to change ride times to an earlier one.

Also, once you have heat stroke, you're more susceptible to it in the future

9. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Hey Mudman...

If you're just a min. wage newb, look for helmets on sale! You can probably find some 06 Giro helmets for decent prices. Check out the following sites: http://www.jensonusa.com http://www.pricepoint.com http://www.blueskycycling.com and if you get a chance, head over to The Path in Tustin and check out their selection (let them know the peeps at STR sent you!!). Just figure out your size (I'd guess a Med in just about anything would probably work, since hubby and I both use Med Giro helmets and have vastly different head sizes) and viola! The bike shops I listed online btw are all located in So Cal, so if you order via Ground you'll get the shipment the day after they send it out.

Also, you don't necessarily need a watch. You can pick up a Cateye cyclocomputer (or any similar brand) that will keep track of your mileage, riding time, speed, and should have a time of day as well.

10. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    I am with Allison on both of these point... Med Giro XEN, but it would not hurt to try them on just to make sure... Regarding the Watch... I always leave it at home, not very comfortable for me and I have the time on my computer on the bars...

11. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    Awsome, I look forward to meeting you all. Maybe I can wait for the 3rd batch then :-k

I actually bring two watches with me on rides, a Casio PAW-13001v (Pathfinder) goes on my handlebar as it has a barometer, altimeter and compass. I'm sure you know of it as well. The second watch is a G-Shock Mudman with two 999 hour stopwatch.
    I actually just ordered the Havoc, so hopefully its as nice as it seems
    Thanks! I checked them out and decided on the Giro Havoc. I like having a watch as I have many, just from the past. It did cost me an extra 6 bucks to order from jenson because I have to pay for both shipping and handling. Frankly I dont have enough time to physically go out and buy one in person.

I actually think I have a cateye computer somewhere in the house. Time for some digging....
    indeed, a lot of peopel recommend the xen helmet. Although it costs more than the havoc so I went with the cheaper one considering I gotta save for the yeti.
    wearing a watch is just a good idea for me because I always like to know how long I've been riding.

12. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:

#-oD'oh! I forgot to say find the Jenson USA link here from STR and share the wealth! That way Jenson knows that they get support from STR, and it helps STR out as well!

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/support-STR.htm#sponsors

13. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    As long as the shwag is bought after the jenson link from here is clicked, it still helps out. Any jenson link (along with the banners and the graphic on the Support page) on the forum should have our tracking info added automatically.

HUGE thanks for remembering to help out. :beer:

14. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    Oh man! I didnt use the link, sorry.#-o

next time...

I got a price quote for the 575 shipped for 2700 brand new with the RP23 rear and talas front fork. what do you guys think of this price wise?

15. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing

Not bad with the Talas up front fo sho

16. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Nah, my bad... I should've included it!

BTW, also maybe call up Adrenaline Bikes in OC and see if they have a similar deal. They're also supporters of STR (let them know you heard about them from STR).

They've got multiple builds of the 575. Adrenaline 575 builds

Not sure which build is comparable. Otherwise, that's probably a good deal. What's the component list?

nm, looked it up. Pick which deal sounds best and go for it!! :)

17. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    full cycles is out of state, so I dont pay taxes. Being on minimum wage an additional 200 bucks for taxes really hits the bank you know what I mean. Adrenaline is willing to give me the same price but its the taxes that adds up. aside from the bike, I'm sure I will be a loyal customer with Adrenaline in the future.

18. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    well guys I got my Giro Havoc one day after order. it feels a little funny, because I'v always worn skateboarding helmets so this is a change. I'm sure ventilation will be ten fold right?:-k

19. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    It should! Should feel like your head is in a wind tunnel now ;)

Congrats on getting the order so quickly. Always nice!

20. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    thanks! I actually cannot wait until Saturday to ride. work is getting a little stressful!