Road Ride Report Malibu Canyon Rd/Mulholland/PCH

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by genusmtbkr5, Jul 9, 2010.

1. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Well I haven't ridden my road bike in a while and but because the TDF is on right now, it sort of got me motivated to get back on and ride it. I had to work Wed night so I brought my bike into work with me that way, when I got off work, I'd have it and I can do a ride instead of fighting the morning traffic on the 405 southbound back to the OC.

There were 2 routes I was thinking of doing: Santa Monica Beach to Oxnard which would be an out and back for 100 miler, :-s or a loop from Malibu Canyon Rd to Las Virgenes to Muholland to PCH and back for just about 40 or so miles but with some climbs :-k.

The route I chose really depended on how tired I'd be after only a 3 hour nap before going in to do my 11 hour grave yard shift #-o. Well my shift didn't go as planned and it was a pretty busy night(translation: I didn't get to nap while at work ; P). So
    after working all night, I decided that a century would be a bit more than I can chew, so I decided on the Malibu/Mulholland loop.

Started out at Malibu Bluffs Park where I saw some other cyclist park. It doesn't cost anything to park there. After my morning cup of coffee and a quick charge of my I-Pod, I suited up.

The initial climb up Malibu Canyon Rd is pretty mellow. Shortly after it links up with Las Virgenes. According to some signs, both roads have some road work going on till Sept so be prepared to run into 1 lanes and some rough going.

As usual, this area offers some nice scenery along the way.

IMG_7513.jpg

IMG_7522.jpg

IMG_7523.jpg

IMG_7524.jpg

This looks like a good place to stop. Nice little wine tasting venue. :drunk:
    IMG_7525.jpg

IMG_7527.jpg

IMG_7526.jpg

Here's where most of the elevation is gained.

IMG_7530.jpg

IMG_7531.jpg

You get to this point, but there's still some work to be done as you can tell from the elevation profile.

IMG_7534.jpg

IMG_7533.jpg

Picture 3.jpg

Doesn't everyone own a Zebra and camel?

IMG_7539.jpg

IMG_7541.jpg

This section of Mulholland this the part you cross when doing the Backbone trail from Encinal trailhead.

IMG_7543.jpg

Then you come to the long stretches of descents before reaching PCH.
    IMG_7545.jpg

IMG_7548.jpg

At this point, you still have about 14 miles on PCH before returning to your start point. I was pretty tired so I took it easy on the way back. Next time, I'd like to start off Topanga or Los Flores, even climb up Mulholland from PCH and over to Decker/Encinal to Kanan Dume. We'll see....,

IMG_7549.jpg

Yesterdays stats:

43 miles
    3,713 ft of climbing

Picture 4.jpg

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=37609

2. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    You had to have been riding between commuter rush hours on Las Virgenes (Malibu Canyon). It's the commuter route (405 alternate) for the Agoura-T.O. etc. At least commuters have learned all the curves and dips on the road. Do not try it on the week-end when the beach-goers are racing through.

3. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    Little Sycamore/Piuma, Decker and Stunt will make you robust. Save Stunt till afternoon heat for full effect.

4. genusmtbkr5

Not really, by the time I got rolling, it was around 10:30 or so. These days, there seems to be traffic at all hours of the day.

5. RS VR6

RS VR6 Member

Looks like you did the Rock Store climb. That is one grinder of a hill.

If you made a right instead of going left to get back to PCH...you would have went down Decker...one hairy and fun descent...but that would have taken you into Westlake...kinda out of your way. :lol:

6. genusmtbkr5

Yup, I rode right by it. Not knowing the route at all and just going by Google maps, I knew I had to climb at some point. Seems like going the opposite way would equally be as tough since Mulholland from PCH would a longer more sustained climb.

7. RS VR6

RS VR6 Member

I kind of did a reverse version of yours. I started in Calabasas went down Malibu Canyon to PCH, then up Encinal to Mulholland. That was somewhere around 50 miles. The climb up Encinal (IIRC 7 to 8 miles) to Mulholland was no fun! :lol:

Got passed by a mountain biker on a 29'er where Encinal turns right...lol...seems like he just popped out from the side of the road...had a Fast Friday kit on. His legs were spinning fast!!

If your ever back out here...give Stunt to Piuma a shot...thats also a fun ride. Theres "7 minute hill" too...supposedly it takes a pro less than 7 minutes to ride up it. Thats next to Stunt Rd.