Magicshine 900 Lumens Light?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jubz, Jul 18, 2009.

1. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    I've actually seen them go above that. If you look at the discharge curve however, the % of time above 3.6-3.7 volts is a VERY small percentage of time at this voltage. That's why ALL battery manufacturers list NOMINAL voltage, not peak.

The emitter is not going to hit 7.4V. Max forward voltage according to the datasheet is 4.2V. The reason they probably use that input voltage of 7.4V is for headroom for their constant current regulator which they list as regulated at 2400mA. It is impossible to have your input voltage the same as the LED Vf.

2. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    Just placed an order from you. Extreme Deal is a few bucks cheaper, but not very much. It's not worth the extra wait.

3. 1080P

1080P Banned

Dotting "i's" & crossing "t's" while balancing
    The Chinese, for the purpose of sales, are quoting peak values by the manufacturer of the LED if each Led is run at 1000mah By your numbers..., at 2400 mA, each emitter is being run at 600 mAh, and with 4 batteries at 2400 mAh each, that would give a 4 hour run time, 3.6 with your 10% efficiency loss thrown in. It also means that each LED if at a Q5 level, is putting out 150 lumens each, about 600 lumen. I think due to heat, it's more like 500, at least in the one I own.

That battery charger looks like a basic Nokia cell phone pulse Li ion ibattery charger at 5v and 500mah. If that's the amps it flows, it's going to take a long time to recharge those batteries if completely discharged to their lower 2.8 volt limit.

4. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    Got it today. Thank you. I am having trouble figuring out how to mount this thing on the handle bar.

5. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    I'm really interested in battery life. Post a review when you get a chance. Thanks for getting this.

6. boludo

boludo Member

Money Manager/Finance
    Please post reviews anyone that has one of these. I need a light for 24hrs of Moab and this would suit me just fine to not spend the price of a frame on a light I'll use sparingly.

7. They do it with MAGIC! Ohhh........

8. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    Here is my preliminary review based on one use.

Purchase
    =======
    Placed an order with Geoman on Monday night, and was promptly notified of shipment the very next day. The package arrived on Thursday. In contrast, my purchase status with ExtremeDeal was stuck in "waiting for supplier" for more than a week before I gave up on them.

Installation
    ========
    Had trouble figuring out how to mount the unit on the bar, emailed Geoman who promptly responded with an image which illustrates the installation. Props to Geoman. He's great to do business with.

Light in action
    ===========
    The light emits in three different modes: high, low, flashing.

Took it to the Fully Loop after sundown for the first full night ride of my life. Initially I had trouble deciding how far down the trail I should try to illuminate. The comfortable range turned out to be about 80 ft and at the high mode, it does an excellent job of lighting up a large swath of land about the size of a basketball court. To give you an idea, the range of illumination covers the whole width of Juanita Cooke Trail, and I could see the contours about 80 feet ahead of me.

As other posters have alluded to, the flash light gets pretty hot. It does not get hot enough to cause skin damage though, so I don't see it as an issue.

Battery Life
    ========
    Well, this is one area I have no answer for. The ride had to be cut short after about an hour because of a mechanical problem. My bike is at the shop, and I don't plan on testing out the length of battery life until my next ride.

Conclusion
    ========
    Overall, I am very happy with the purchase. Not sure if the price can be beat.

With my cool light in possession, I plan on showing up for the Thursday night group ride for the first time. Feel free to look me up if you want to check out my light. I am a 43 year old Asian male who stands at about 5'7".

9. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    Geoman, a few of my buddies will be buying from you soon.

10. Lambda_drive

Lambda_drive Member

I'm really surprised by how good the service is from Geoman.

I once tried ordering some Leds and a driver from Dealextreme.com and it was a really bad experience. I had been waiting for about 3 weeks when I went to check the order status and for some reason they canceled my order. They never gave me an alert or anything. I was kind of mad so I didn't really feel like putting in another order and waiting a month for it to come.

It would be great if Geoman sold individual LEDs and drivers. I'm sure a lot of people would buy them if they could get great service and didn't have to wait a month for them to arrive. :)

11. GeoMan

GeoMan New Member

Thank you very much, we try very hard. And, we ride.

GM
    www.geomangear.com

You just never know.

Thanks!

GM
    www.geomangear.com

12. Takedown

Takedown New Member

Just ordered one from Geoman, will post up a review when I test it out.

13. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    I think GeoMan is like ShiverMeTimbers and FoShizzle. He spends his entire day on forums. But GeoMan unlink Fo and SMT is actually running a business and providing customer support. (No hate on Fo or SMT mind you). GM you are running a good business in the Internet age.

(BTW I suggest you read or listen via Audible What Would Google Do by Jeff Jarvis.)

14. amor587

amor587 New Member

Cube Dweller
    Home Page:
    Ive been running this light for about 3 weeks now (ordered from Geoman) :bang:
    It's bright! Works really well and is an awesome value at the price. IMHO you can't really go wrong with it, especially considering the price point, Ive seen Minewts/Sol's for about the same price and they are now where near as bright as the Magicshine product.

15. GeoMan

GeoMan New Member

Ya, I hang on the forums and I watch where our traffic comes from. But as a fellow passionate cyclist, I'm interested in more than just selling stuff. Heck, I just looked out at my bikes, did some quick math, and realized I've got a new car's worth of bikes out there... I learn a lot from you folks.

Thanks for your support, I really enjoy this business. It is very rewarding when you receive excellent customer feedback. This is what it's all about, IMHO.

Ride on!

GM

16. Amoeba

Amoeba New Member

Amoeba - When size and performance matter

Hey Jubz, thanks for the mention. At 159 grams for both the lighthead and the 3hr battery, you don't even feel it on your helmet. It is also a nice not to be connected to your Camelbak by a cable.

[​IMG]

Check it out if you are looking for a light that has been designed/built by a mtn biker that is ridden with on almost a daily basis. Amoeba's have been run in several 24 hour solo races and team events. Just had a customer complete the Colorado Trail Race (477 miles unsupported on the Colorado Trail) using an Amoeba.

Here is a link to my new classified ad on MTBR - http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=38425&cat=27

[​IMG]

17. ANIMAL

ANIMAL New Member

i slave tables
    I have a Cygolite mitycross 350 lumens/cheap that i love.

Now I need a second light either for my helmet or bars.( the mitycross works great on either)

Im thinking of trying that magicshine ... Any reviews or comparisons b/t the amoeba and magicshine?? specs and prices?

18. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    What kind of battery life do you get?

19. dgaspar

dgaspar I like to burn things

Attorney
    Good information here, thanks! I just ordered one from Geo Man.

20. Takedown

Takedown New Member

I took the light out on two rides last week, it works as advertised. Plenty bright and does the job well. I'm not sure you can find a light for $80 that is this bright. Thanks for the quick delivery GeoMan.