Made in Taiwan vs Made in the U.S.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by avilabrands, Aug 30, 2011.

1. danmtchl

danmtchl danmtchl

Aera Energy LLC- Mailguy
    The Santa Cruz single pivot bikes and hardtails are made by Giant, their VPP bikes bike were made by Kinesis. As for a great American made bike, Ventana has great bikes and there customer service is second to none. Also I have had a Russ Denny which are made in Temecula. There are alot great american made bikes, you just have to go out and research which is best for you.

www.russdennybicycles.com

www.ventanausa.com

www.strongframes.com

2. GBall

GBall New Member

Litigation Consultant
    I'm new here and just getting back into riding after a relatively long hiatus. Going through some old threads I found this one and it got me to thinking...when I first got into mountain biking in the early '90's it was unusual for any quality/high end bike to be made anywhere but the US, and I feel there was a strong bias against foreign made bikes. Times have certainly changed, as I found out when I went shopping for a new bike recently and learned that it is now difficult to find even high-end bikes made in the US. I was crushed to see some of the brands that have begun sourcing their frames from Asia, no doubt putting a fair number of US craftsmen out of work in the pursuit of shareholder returns.

I suppose I retain a little bit of that early '90's bias... because in the end I bought a classic, "vintage" made in USA Cannondale (in all original showroom condition). Personally, I just feel like I know what I am getting and I suppose it is a tie to the roots of the sport for me. If I continue to ride regularly I have no doubt that I will upgrade the bike in short order and I also have no doubt that I will buy a US made bike. I will happily pay a little more for a custom, handbuilt-in-USA bike like a Serotta or Independent Fabrications, rather than take the easy savings of a Taiwanese frame that I perceive to be (correctly or not) a cookie-cutter frame out of a stock catalog with a US company's logo simply pasted on the side.

Not trying to start any kind of debate, especially as I am new here, Just my 2 cents as someone who has been away from the game for a while.

3. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    ^ I own both, being self employed -- hubby too, I'm more apt to spend a bit more for american made when I can.

4. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

I really believe that if we all would like to keep our jobs that we should strive to "Buy American".

Hecho en Flagstaff:
    hechoenflagstagff.jpg

5. 0 mph

0 mph More waves than time~

Account Manager
    Home Page:
    Taiwanese government have always supported U.S economy. They spent billions of dollars purchased U.S arms. Where the money go??

6. bikerider

bikerider New Member

I have a couple of American made Trek Carbon Fiber bikes plus my first high end mtb from 94 (Cannondale). I also just purchased some American made Dinotte lights. I understand most of the parts on the bikes are not made here, but I too like to support the US economy when I can.

7. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

I actually did some work in Taiwan looking for some mfg capacity for a US jet Engine manufacturer...
    actually, the US refused to sell fighter technology to Taiwan, hence their IDF program.