Love the New Bike

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by MTBMaven, Dec 28, 2006.

1. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    I love my new bike. I took it out Tuesday along the beach in the South Bay. I went from Torrance Beach (basically the end of the strand at PV) to Marina Del Rey, about 25 miles. Bike felt super fast. No idea of my average speed because I haven't installed my computer yet.

Today I went from my place in Pasadena (near Old Town) to Chantry Flats and back. The wind was kicking on the climb, some time I was hardly moving it was blowing so hard. Boy granny gear on a road bike, at least on mine, is a far cry from the granny gear on my MTB. All in all it was not too bad climbing the hill. I don't think I'm ready to climb to Wilson or even the Strawberry Peak trailhead yet but hopefully soon. I do feel pretty strong for longer rides along the coast though.

2. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Doood, (that's how us roadies say it)

We got to get together for a ride. Romeo, Khai, Glen, Myself along with some others ride on a regular basis, you should jump in with us. I think maybe Frank (MTB Racer) will join us. Ooops, I guess I wasn't supposed to say that.

3. gurp13

gurp13 SolarFederationMember

High School Teacher
    yeah, Brian, let's ride!

You're right, granny gear on a roadie is NOT the same at all. I found that out, too. If it's steep, you're standing! But, on the other hand, you're right, these bikes are faaaaaast!!!

4. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    For sure guys. I plan on jumping in on ride soon. These last few rides have been plan with a few hours notice.

I ordered my new Look Keo Carbons from eBay the other day, they should be in any day. I still need to switch out forks so I can install my new computer.

I picked up a medium sized saddle bag, Cannondale Fastbag 78. It tightly fits my two Performance Lunar Lite tubes, two patch kits, Crank Bros. multi-tool, two tire levers, electrolyte drops, chap stick, schrader to presta converter thingy, my enormous PDA phone, and necessary ID and cards.

I need to order one of those pump frame holders. When I got my pump I was a mountain biker only and had no need for the thing so I threw it out.

5. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Pump? What is this pump? Real rodies use CO2. I like to fill up my tires the same way I ride.....FAST

6. PHAT TIRE

PHAT TIRE Riders on the solar storm

Vehicle Operations Manager
    I agree...go C02 bro...You'll understand when you are trying to hand pump over 100psi and the group is standing there waiting! congrats on the bike puchase...where's the pictures?

7. gurp13

gurp13 SolarFederationMember

High School Teacher
    You don't really need CO2, just borrow someone elses! :lol:

I just got a bento box for my frame. It's a cool little thing the tri-athletes use. It's a soft-sided box that goes on your top tube and attaches to the stem and top tube. You can stick stuff in there, too. I put some gels and Cliff bars in there, as well as my cell phone. It helps free up some room in your jersey and saddle bag. Good stuff.

You sure the pump you have for your Mtb is high pressure? I didn't realize it, but you have to have a hand pump that can handle the high pressures of the road tires. So, I have one pump for my mtbs and one for my roadie.

8. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    Fellas,

Keep posting the road rides, I would love to tag along!
    Where are those pix of the new ride?

9. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    Link to post with pictures is here: Link