looking for feedback

Discussion in 'Website discussion' started by LBmtb, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Shannon

Shannon ........

Jose, I don't get your complaining. Don't go on the roadie forum if you don't like it. Besides, anyone that doesn't know who Greg Lemond is shouldn't be on there anyways...

Thanks for doing all the work on the forum George. The site seems more reliable and does run faster. The thanks option is great.

2. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Good Job

Yes the site is more reliable.
    Ads are no problem.
    Chatbox - haven't used.

Needs improvement
    (1) A search feature to find posts.
    (2) A keep-logged-on feature, seems as soon as I turn away from the keyboard - zap! I'm not logged on.

3. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    Apparently this thread is shifting its focus over to "The Thanks Counter" as that is what most people are taliking about or mentioned. I vote keep it. Because I can. :p

As for the roadie forum, I say keep it. What does it hurt?

As Bret and Rodel and others mentioned there are a few cliques and sides/favorites taken when some issues have arisen. It is interesting to note that the OG's form such a group and typically vote in the same manner. Not necessicarily a bad thing but interesting.

4. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    I think you should have a 29er only forum...oh but wait.....that would include all those pesky roadies ..since those are the original 29ers....maybe a single speed only forum.....oh wait.....that means those darn fixie roadies are included......darn it all!
    Got to give Jose some crap since he was the one who introduced me to this site:clap:
    I think you have done a great job with the site. I have only lived here a little over a year and have met some great peeps and hit some great trails thru the site, keep up the good work!!:bang:

5. gurp13

gurp13 SolarFederationMember

High School Teacher
    As far as I know this is already in there because I am always logged in.

When you log in, isn't there a little box that you click to keep logged in? I think there is. I log in so infrequently that I can't remember.

6. Collette

Collette New Member

My computer logs me out when I clear my cookies with that clear history feature in the tools tab. Other than that, if I don't log out, I stay logged on, even after I turn my comp off, then come back.

7. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    We have a chat box?

George I can't thank you enough for such a great job you've done with the site. Please don't try to change it to much ( although if it didn't change at all it'd become stagnant, so do what you must). I've been around enough to watch a few other sites go by the wayside, and I've seen a lot of those people who were there, move over to here. One of the biggest problems on those other sites was the lack of consistant moderating. Some moderators had pets, and others had a beef with others and went out of their way to make things difficult. George and his staff are about the best here,very fair handed in my opinion (regardless off what Royta says). I know most everyone who posts here and really enjoy the lightheartedness and feel of this site. Keep up the good work, George.

You know I use to look at this as a ribbing, but some of you guys going this far has me a bit concerned. Are you really disliking another aspect of our sport that much? You can slice it anyway you want. Biking is still biking and 90% of the people who see us biking know no difference between a mountain biker and a roadie. This is kind of scary in the sense that it smacks of prejudice. It makes a difference only if skin color is involved? No not really, prejudice is just what it is...wrong! But showing a lack of tolerance and to go out of your way to express this, something that is so related to what we do (riding a bike) is really not right. Do you hate a person because of there beliefs? Do you hate a person because of their sexual preference? So why would you hate a group for their biking preference? Please guys show some tolerance, not your prejudice.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2007
  8. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    I stepped away from the computer (answered the phone) leaving this page on the screen, came back, refreshed the screen, and poof! I wasn't logged on. This is a timeout feature. Cookies shouldn't have mattered (?!). I checked that I could close the window and find myself still logged in if I brought the STR page up (after a relatively short interval).

9. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

First off, thank you for all your hard work George.

As far as the questions-
    -The site seems a little faster, but it never has been much of a problem before.
    -I mostly ignore ads, so they are no big deal.
    -My general thoughts about web forum moderators are about the same as I feel towards homeowners associations, but I think everyone does a great job here.
    -Counter/thanks, no big deal either way. The Thanks feature is a nice way to show appreciation.
    -I think the chat box is fun.

As far as the roadie forum. If you don't like it, don't look at it. Me, I like all bikes.

I've met some great people and gone on some nice rides through the site. I'm glad its available.
    In the words of Mr. [SIZE=-1]Sagdiyev - NICE!!!! [/SIZE]\\:D/

10. bananaseat

bananaseat Member

i'm oblivious to the techie stuff. i still hold a high opinion of the site. imo, the steady growth in users is a huge compliment to the site. great resource to coordinate rides and solicit any type of feedback.

thank you george.

11. Burner

Burner WAWE

I have met quite a few people on here, haven't met one I didn't think was cool (well except Jose ;), and I knew FoShizzle before :(, and I haven't met that limey Keith yet but I don't hold much hope 8-[)

And for those that don't know, I'm kind of a sarcastic sumbich.

If I ever make a roadie comment, it's strictly for the ribbing... One day I will experience drop bars, I'm sure.

on to the ?s
    - site seems faster, no complaints, pages load well.
    - I notice the ads, they don't bother me at all, and I click them when i can or get interested.
    - Moderating - the only time I noticed was when that Skidding thread got deleted, I think people who didn't know better could have learned from that thread... pics got changed so no ammo could be used against us mtb'ers. But overall, very happy with the site vibe and some moderation is always needed.
    - I like giving thanks, don't see the problem with it.
    - Never used the chatbox - but watch out now, I'm about to start!

now if we could just grow the Wesssside contingent! \/\/

STR rocks!

12. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    I didn't delete that thread. PM'd ya.

13. CalEpic

CalEpic member

George - This site is the best So Cal forum period. It's not even close.

Site is faster, I can't say I really care one way or the other on the post count/thanks issue. Chat Box is cool for quick random thoughts. The bigger ads are bit annoying but if it helps pay the bills it doesn't really bother me. I would resist the urge to turn STR into the ad-fest that MTBR is though.

While I have not been here since the very beginning, I've experienced the dramatic growth and I think it's a good thing. Sure it's different than it used to be but that's ok with me. I consider many of the people I've met here friends.

While censorship will always be a hot topic, moderation is needed. It works here because it's consistent.

My point is that the site is good. It's great that you want to constantly improve but in my opinion, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over fixing something that's not broken.

C

14. singletrakk

singletrakk New Member

Awesome job with the board George!!!! Love how the board is always being improved. Especially like the New Topics section on the front page.Makes it easy not having to shuffle through each forum to look at the recent posts.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the direction in which the board is going.It seems everyone is having a good time.Its really hard to please everybody and you should kind of in a sense let nature take its course.There is always going to be cliches with a group this large. Its really nice having the homey feel,but at the same time wouldn't find it cool limiting registration on the board.I have no issue with the roadie forum and really see no need for it to be eliminated.I just don't see what the issue is.
    I know there is a lot of legwork involved with running this site and don't know where you find the time with your schedule.Good job!!! I'm sure its rewarding at the end of the day when you take a step back and look at all the bonds,friendships and comradory you've created.Definitely the #1 mtb site in CA.:clap:

15. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I am very thankful to George and all the work he puts into this site. Before this site I rode alone nearly 100% of the time. The only people I knew to ride with were Hammerheads; riding all out the entire ride was not what I was looking for. Because I know many of the riders and the type of riding they do, I know which group of riders I enjoy riding with. That only came as the site got more mature and the types of rides and areas to ride in expanded. I also love MTBing road trips and have found road dogs thru this site.

With this site as with live in general, I have to moderate my reaction to change …like most, I like things to remain the same and fight change. Wether I am a post whore or a thank whore is of no concern to me. My ego and self worth is not tied to this site. My goal is to help people enjoy their mountain biking experience and share my trail knowledge with others to help them branch out and explore different rides.

I only have compliments, no complaints concerning George’s hard work. I find the moderators go a good job in staying transparent. I have always found it entertaining when people get into Internet fights…it is so useless.

Dean

16. gurp13

High School Teacher
    I might be wrong and maybe someone with more technical knowledge can say so, but I think the timeout is with your browser and/or computer, not the site. I just logged in on my wife's laptop to check in and I actually had to unclick the Remember Me box. So, it's there when you log in. And, on my other computers I never have to log in unless I, Wildcat said, clear my cache or history. So, you need to check your settings, dude. It's not the website. It's local to your machine. Hope that helps!

****EDIT****
    I just walked away from my wife's laptop and then checked back in and I was logged out!!! Doh! So, if you don't click "Remember Me" then it apparently *does* have a timeout feature. I am wrong!!! I have shamed my family and STR. I will now commit sepukku.

<unsheathes dagger, slams blade into abdomen> Hurngh! Aaaagghghghggghgggh!
    <dies>

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2007
  17. jfromlv

jfromlv trail sanitizer

Student
    Ditto what Dean said, it's hard to hold a good thing down. This site is excellent, it is what you make of it. If you just want to share trailriding experiences, that's what it is. Others choose to rag on roadies and lycra, shuttle monkeys, Shinkens, whatever, it's all good and entertaining. The people that I have met through this board have all been quality people who love to ride, what could be better than that. Thanks George.

18. Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw Member

Str

The site is very user friendly and faster than before. I don't post very much on here but enjoy the reading and updating on rides/maint/sales. The ads are part of running a site so, I'm used to it.

I ride my mtb a long ways away from you "LA and OC" types. I like to hear the stories of how things are going in your neck of the woods. I'm amused by some of the topics and find other's really helpful.

The counter thing is something I didn't realize was gone. It does bring a different response/feel about the people who are posting. I kind of liked it, the counter thing. The "thanks" thing is something I'm not really used to.

The roadie thing is tough. I don't ride a road bike and don't think I ever will. Besides, whenever I'm riding to the trailhead the roadies always seem to be so stuck on themselves and concerned about how they look for whatever reason that they can't even wave back. If roadies are enjoying their ride, like mtb'ers, then why can't they be a little more cordial to us? The lbs even has a little 'tude about riding a fs mtb. Enough.....

This site is far better than the other socal site. This site is easier to surf around on.

19. gurp13

High School Teacher
    My experience is that when I'm riding, depending on how fast I'm going, what the road is like, etc. I might be pretty concentrated on what I'm doing, to the exclusion of cordiality. How many mtbers give a wave as they are downhilling singletrack? The only people that think there's nothing technical about riding a road bike are the ones who don't ride road bikes. Listen, when a small pothole can take you down, that's technical. And, when you're moving at 15mph or more, you don't really feel like hitting the asphalt at that speed. In my experience, limited as it is, road biking is about finesse, speed, and cadence. It's about consistency and concentration. Mtbing is about similar things, but it's slower and the speed comes in bursts. You redline your output for much shorter periods of time. But, on a roadbike, you aren't redlining, but maintaining a high cadence and speed.

So, what I'm getting at is that it may not be that roadies are unfriendly. It might just be that they're not paying attention to you right now. I know when I'm riding a trail, I don't wave at everyone. In fact, I know there are plenty of mtbers that I pass on trails that might not even nod at me and say hi even. But, I don't decide that means that all mtbers are stuck on themselves. On the contrary, I know lots of mtbers and they're actually pretty friendly. Maybe mtbers should get to know more "roadies" and they might not make such bigoted and broad statements. I'm a roadie, I wave at people I pass. Pain Freak waves at people on the road, I've seen him. So does dirttorpedo. There, now, so much for your false and biased generalizations. Did it ever occur to any of you that some people are friendly and some are not and it has nothing to do with the kind of bike they ride?

As to the care about how they look, people need to just get off themselves. Like mtbers don't care about looks! Right, that's why they make the bikes in colors with anodized parts and stuff. Where was that thread again with the purple chain on the 29er? Please. Don't f*cking talk to me about mtbers not being concerned about looks. You think 'cause you wear baggies that you're not conforming or not concerned with looks? Fine then, let's see a picture of you riding a trail in pink shorts with a day-glo yellow jersey. Mtbers are every bit as concerned with how they look or they wouldn't be so obsessed with NOT wearing spandex.

The level of hypocracy around here is nuts sometimes. You guys get matching ghey seatposts and hubs and headsets and then make fun of guys wearing matching jerseys and shorts? Pot, meet kettle.

20. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    Do you wave at dogs? :)