Road Ride Report Liz + Mulholland Challenge = EPIC FAIL!

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by dirtmistress, Apr 11, 2009.

1. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    God I'm glad to be home and cannot wait to crawl into bed. I started with my group about 7.
    I saw 36 degrees going through the canyon heading to PCH. Once we got to PCH it was a bit warmer.

I had put newspaper under my jersey and as far as I'm concerned, that was the most brilliant idea I've ever had. I was pretty comfortable in my core region.

Anyway, the bottom line for me was that I could tell something wasn't quite right. I knew I had a virus. Not really a cold,not really a flu. Not enough to make you call in sick but for sure enough to make you feel really bad when you hit a hill. I really didn't think it would affect me like this but yeah! The first hill and my normal speed on this hill (Topanga) is 8 to 9 mph and I could barely get up to 6 and 7.

Beth AKA Madame Dabalot was a real trooper staying with me for as long as we went.

I went through periods where I could 'dig deep' and 'claw my way' back to my group but for the most part, it really sucked! I hate quitting! It killed me to turn around and I was so angry but the prospect of climbimg Corinth and Decker the way I was feeling was out of the question.
    I thought there are two reasons to go on..if you're having fun or if you're feeling competative and I had neither! Crap!
    Still,it was 70 miles and 6600 ft. of climbing. I never saw Kelly or Brian or other STR folks. Hope you did well!
    Due to road contruction, the course was shortened to 101 miles instead of 112.
    Hey Pain Freak! Maybe in a month or so we can go do our own Challenge out there! Get a group together!:-k
    Shower and bed for me now! Win some ,lose some!

2. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Kudos for trying.

3. eruizela

eruizela mountain bike addict

Realtor
    I just got over a cold and rode today. I had no energy, terrible balance, and very little power.

It sucked period

4. Impy

Impy Active Member

70 miles and 6600 feet when your feeling crappy is amazing. Go rest and get better quickly.

5. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    ^what collette said. good try, lady. you'll kick the mulholland challenge's ass next time, tiger!

6. sheclimbs

sheclimbs Active Member

Liz, every dog has it's day, I'm sorry today wasn't yours! Extra credit for actually showing up and attempting to go the course. Hope you're feeling better.

7. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Liz, I hope you're in bed now, resting, and that you feel better soon! That is quite a feat, especially when you're not 100%--MAJOR kudos to you!

8. guero

guero iFroth

hey liz, i was on the Subaru cruise today (about 75 subaru impreza wrx and wrx sti's) and we passed a whole bunch of Mulholland Challengers on our drive through the canyon. Hope you feel better soon.

9. Burner

Burner WAWE

Only 70 mi and 6600' ??? #-o

Loser

10. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Feel better, eat ice cream. Way to gut it out.

11. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Liz,

Sorry to hear you didn't finish but more sorry you are not feeling well. Hope you get better soon. I saw constantly on the look out for you. Our pace was not that fast so I figured you would catch us.

12. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Any other MC ride reports anyone want to post?
    Did it get windy?
    I turned around where Little Sycamore becomes Yerba Buena!
    Guero! The only car club we saw was the million dollar club. Thats what they should be called anyway. Porshces, Lamborghini's, Ferraris and some other tricked out super expensive stuff I didn't recognize.
    I'm pretty sure Tyler Hamilton zipped past me on Mulholland heading up to Kanan.
    I was in a blue Mt. Ventoux jersey.
    I napped and I have a sore throat.

13. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    I about ran over one of those fools. They were all parked at the over look on Mulholland at the top of the Rock Store Grade. The dude started walking across the road all casual. At first I said kind of loudly "ok what are we doing here?" Then when he stopped in the middle of my lane as I'm doing close to 20 I yell at him "MOVE IT!" Duche.

I didn't notice but my buddy, Berstieger (AKA Krisztian), mentioned the rear end of the Ferrari got all jacked. He said it looked like the dude side swiped a guard rail. Some pretty pimp cars in that group for sure.

14. Red Hawk

Red Hawk New Member

goverment contractor, screenwriter (well hobbie un
    I saw that poor Ferrari, I was going by quick, but noticed it. Brian you must have been behind me at that point I say that dude walking into the street. He paused for a moment like he wasn't sure if he had the right away or something.

I didn't have too much more to report on the ride that hasn't been mentioned other than the awesome views of the ocean up in the mountains and the wicked cold, especially in the decent to PCH, that sucked. Thankfully I had brought full finger gloves with me as well as half finger ones. It really didn't matter, it was still F-in' cold. Also the first downhill in the begining was cold as all hell, i was trying to stay under 20 mph it was starting to feel like pins and needles.

15. mauric6943

mauric6943 Member

Unemployed
    Liz - Hope you're feeling better today. as for a RR:

The morning started at 6.35a and as others have mentioned it was cold. Bitterly cold. It reminded me of how I felt during the pre-dawn VQ start last month. The weather finally started to warm up when I hit PCH and joined up with Adobo Velo - the ADOBO BOYS, what up fellas!!!! - and cruised to Topanga. Outer layer came off right before we started climbing Topanga and I caugt up with Stacy at or near the top. Like always, she dropped me early :))

The ride was exactly what I expected other than descending along what must be one of the worst paved roads inthe area. i don't remember the name of the street, but it was $HIT!!! Gravel, cracked tar, potholes, etc. By the time I finished the descent, my hands felt like just like they do after I ride the luge on my 60mm headshok.

Stacy, DZ and I stayed together for the rest of the day except on the climbs. Just easier to climb at our own pace and then regroup down the road.

Stacy and I took a long rest at the firestation before heading down to PCH. the COLD wind hit us smack in the face on the descent but was a non-issue for me on the climb up decker. We took another long rest at the firestation again and then finished things out. total ride time was somewhere around 9.5hrs

As mentioned, the route was shortened. if most roadies also mountain biked, a re-route wouldn't even have been necessary - what is it, 200yds of dirt! I still don't know what the total climbing was but I didn't miss Stunt Rd and Piuma at all. topanga, mulholland, and decker provided more than enough of the a challenge.

Somewhere along the route I too started to feel a little tickle in the back of my throat. it didn't bother me on the ride but I had a low grade fever yesterday and I'm no where near 100% today. not sure if its a bug I picked up from someone ;) or due to travel vaccinations from last week.

mauice

16. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator