Lift Accessed Riding @ Waterman?

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by stinkyrider, Jul 12, 2009.

1. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Roberto has basically said they do not have the funds to hire a outside contractor. CORBA is a nonprofit and grassroots that has been working with local land managers for the past 22 years. Early this year Corba had 30 plus people show up for trail work on El Prieto.

If you think Waterman is going to become a Whistler, or even a Northstar or Mammoth then I think you need to go up there and check it out. It is a small operation on one mountain.

Dean

2. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Check there site, they have worked with more places in US then in Canada. :wave:

3. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

USA

WINTER PARK RESORT, COLORADO: Master Palnning / Trail Design / Project Management BITTERROOT RESORT, MONTANA: Feasibility Study NORTHSTAR AT TAHOE, CALIFORNIA: Operational Assessment MOUNT BACHELOR, OREGON: Feasibility Study / Trail Design / Consultation and assistance with proposed 5 Year Development Plan. JACKSON HOLE, WYOMING: Feasibility Study / Operational Assessment / Conceptual Plan / Conceptual Mapping GRAND TARGHEE, WYOMING: Feasibility Study / Trail Design ASPEN/SNOWMASS, COLORADO: Feasibility Study / Operational Assessment / Conceptual Plan / Conceptual Mapping CITY OF SANTA CLARITA, CALIFORNIA: Site Inspection LIBERTY UNIVERSITY, VIRGINIA: Feasibility Study ANGEL FIRE, NEW MEXICO: Feasibility Study

4. mtbski

mtbski New Member

Sanitation worker
    I don't know all the facts, but I believe that the guys at Mt Waterman have a lease to use the area as a ski operation.

They dont have carte blanche to create random trails that we'd like to ride.

This land is in the Angeles National Forest.

5. El Presidente

El Presidente New Member

Owner and President of Bellfree Contractors, Inc.
    I have the Mt Hillyer proposal and will e mail it to you.

I agree with IMBA that you should bring in a professional contractor at least for the design and supervision of volunteer crews. As I mentioned to you I am the CORBA Volunteer Trail Crew leader and also on the Board of Directors. We (CORBA) have been working for the last couple of years to make something like this happen. The problem here is this is a for profit ski area so it gets a bit murky.

6. mtbski

mtbski New Member

Sanitation worker

7. roach

roach Full Singletrack Tuck

Environmental Planner
    PV and Hillyer are two very different locations. I didn't complain to the FS about the Hillyer theme park, I merely inquired about what was truly "approved" (found out nothing is approved, yippy!)

I'm not advocating a free-for-all on Waterman, merely stating the fact that out-of-bounds trails will certainly pop up once the lifts are open, just like at Baldy. But that's ok at Waterman, it's a ski resort similar to Big Bear and Baldy. Stunts, jumps, ladders, all that junk belongs in a resort. It would be great if the CORBA guys could take all their skills development plans over to Waterman, it's a way better location.

8. El Presidente

El Presidente New Member

Owner and President of Bellfree Contractors, Inc.
    During the Mt Hillyer NEPA process it will be open to public input. At that time we will all have a chance to write letters and express our support or in your case opposition. In the mean time if you or anyone else wants more information on the plan for Mt Hillyer feel free to pm me. Since you are calling it a theme park you must be very confused on what is proposed.

A free for all is part of the reason why Big Bear lifts closed to bikes.

9. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Build it right in the first place and you are very unlikely to have a free for all issue.

10. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

So, who is that in teh Video dragging the back tire on the white Blindside???

11. Dynamatt

Dynamatt Ride or Die

Prop Maker
    Home Page:
    It's raw, and it's me my man... And i hope that isn't some kind of attack on my riding:lol:

12. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Attack??? No, Im just being an ass.

Anyone feel like playing tour guide in a few weekends?

13. Dynamatt

Dynamatt Ride or Die

Prop Maker
    Home Page:

I'd be down! Hopefully by the time your all healed up and able to kill it i'll have my bottle rocket ready to go :beer:.. The big bike is fun, big time! but i want to ride it on a short travel now

14. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Im pretty good for riding, just cant get up and mash the pedals yet. Been riding a few times now. Getting better and better each ride, but my cornering is Hagger currently, not enough twist back in the knee yet.

15. Dynamatt

Dynamatt Ride or Die

Prop Maker
    Home Page:
    Well then your set for Waterman, no real cornering.. Just sliding!!!! That place is so steep, down the face, which we shouldn't ride ;)

But i will say it's a blast!

16. wheel slayer

wheel slayer Damn Seagulls

Steep sounds great to me any good sized hucks? Have shovel will travel.

17. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

I drove past Waterman yesterday on my way to Wrightwood. I stopped to check out the operation and observe a little. Parking lot seemed full so that's good for business. I started noticing guys riding/walking there bikes up ACH from the north, which only means one thing. They're coming down the Mt. Waterman Trail. I'm not sure I like that too much. That's such a beautiful tame back country trail and is frequented by hikers on weekends. Now, it's going to get trashed and encounters are inevitable. Too bad lift access can't be kept to the face of Waterman vs. people exploring the back country. As someone mentioned above, it's nothing exciting but it sure is pretty and I for one, wouldn't mind keeping it that way. Time will tell, I suppose.

18. Mt Waterman

Mt Waterman New Member

I hear you loud and clear Joe. We need to keep people on the mountain and will work to the trails on the hill fun and interesting.We got a late start this year. We need the revenue so we got to keep going, but next year will be different. Also we are going to give back to the forest service a % for trail maintenance. Mt Waterman trail will be priority #1.

19. GravityGear

GravityGear New Member

Bike Tech
    this sounds like a very responsible plan. i would also think that some free, short classes on trail use would be beneficial. i think this would help some of the families and new riders and instill some proper trail etiquette in them. some co workers and i might be making it up there next week. you will have a private message.

20. Stray_Bullit

Stray_Bullit The sustain..listen to it

Commercial Truck Driver, yes I do look into your c
    I will donate (time and money) what ever it takes to get this up and running. I would LOVE to have a place to ride my bike and not have to worry about running into anyone from the Sierra Club!

I think I have heard this before... "Build it and they will come."

I appreciate all of your efforts, keep it up!