Lance: The Official Lance Armstrong Thread

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by osmarandsara, Jul 30, 2008.

1. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

How is that bike staying upright?

2. OffRoadie

OffRoadie Roadie in Exile

Electrical Engineer
    This is similar to the protocols used by Slipstream, CSC-Saxo Bank, Columbia, and Astana. They are based on several biological markers that could indicate doping. I don't believe VO2 Max is one of the parameters, but several blood parameters are tracked. Does Lemond's bitter not allow him to know this?

3. prerunnerboy27

prerunnerboy27 New Member

Dairy Queen, Chino Hills
    Are they using transponders in racing these days? It could be a transponder.

-Keith

4. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

it could just be something as simple as a spare inner tube in a plastic bag to save weight?

5. kevinator

kevinator Staying hydrated

It's a Big Air Co2 canister for multiple inflations.

6. kev

kev vincit qui patitur

Home Page:
    Looks like it is propped up by a rock on the other side of the rear wheel. I do this too :) Sometimes you see these bike shots and you wonder "Hey, how is that thing not falling over?"

7. 1080P

1080P Banned

Dotting "i's" & crossing "t's" while balancing
    I'd be more interested in actually hearing what Lemonde said and what Armstrong's response was. I prefer debate and discussion over flash and mirrors and others forming opinions for me. If Armstrong has nothing to hide, he should step up to VO2 testing every month.

Kind of a dream of mine, but I'd love to see Lance training up at Mammoth Lakes. I've been lucky and bumped into a few Olympian medalists up there before at The Looney Bean, why not Lance? :bang:

8. sandblast

sandblast One less 29er

Buisness phone systems
    Lemond is a wacko. What a dick.

9. OffRoadie

OffRoadie Roadie in Exile

Electrical Engineer
    That's BS. Who's to say what VO2 Max numbers are "acceptable" are which ones are not? At a more fundamental level, why should people be required to prove innocence?

10. lukewiens

lukewiens New Member

you can watch the press conference at velonews.tv

LINK HERE

Armstrong: "Next question!" .....lmao!! :lol::bang::clap:

found youtube...
    [youtube]ryH650Br8uI[/youtube]

11. lkn2ryd

lkn2ryd Member

Court Advocate, Property Manager
    Welllll, maybe there is something to this "new" revelation in testing? Why has it not been addressed before? I think toe nail density testing will best catch the cheaters! Or is it toe jam testing?:-k Lemond needs to move forward. Maybe start a Greg Lemond Training facility for fatasses and bitter soles. He sat there seething, he is not well in the head.

Go ahead Lance blow in the tube...shut the Farker up! - Once and for all, or is this the secret........

12. deja vu

deja vu done dirt cheap!

Looks like Landis may be in too........
    "Landis confirmed reports that he is in talks with Momentum Sports Group ......His first race back could be the nine-day Tour of California in mid-February. That event is shaping up to be a dramatic one, as seven-time Tour winner Lance Armstrong last week tentatively put it on his calendar when he announced his intention to come out of retirement and compete for another title"

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/news/story?id=3588287

13. Nagaredama

Nagaredama New Member

Lance Armstrong ready for recycling

Cool article on Lance's comeback in the LA Times today.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lance5-2008nov05,0,2460350.story

[​IMG]

CYCLING

Lance Armstrong ready for recycling

Cyclist, 37, is coming back but is not committing to the Tour de France, which he won seven consecutive times.
    By Diane Pucin

November 5, 2008

Reporting From San Diego -- Inside the San Diego Air and Space Technology Center wind tunnel, while a steady rain fell outside, Lance Armstrong was dripping wet and pedaling hard.

"The seat is five inches too high," Armstrong said and bike technicians came running with screwdrivers and furrowed brows. Armstrong squinted to look at numbers that measure his pedal cadence, his oxygen intake, his calorie burning. He was here to re-perfect his bicycle form.

His competitive urge? That is just fine.

Armstrong, 37, is strongly into a cycling comeback that brought him to a Texas time-trial race last weekend (the Tour of Gruene, which Armstrong won), and here Tuesday to become immersed in the serious work of sculpting the body and tweaking the bike.

After more than three years removed from competitive racing, Armstrong announced last summer that he would compete in 2009 at races like the Amgen Tour of California in February and at the quirky Giro d'Italia -- where the leader wears pink instead of yellow -- in May.

But Armstrong has refused to commit himself to riding at the Tour de France, the race he won a record seven consecutive times, a race that gave him international sporting fame and the yellow jersey that turned into his own symbol -- a yellow rubber wristband -- to demonstrate support for cancer survivor Armstrong's foundation, Livestrong.

He hemmed and hawed again Tuesday, saying he wasn't playing games about his indecision but that above all else he wanted to avoid what he called "tension" in this comeback project.

Then, speaking more bluntly, he said his final two rides at the Tour de France were "not fun" and that short of becoming a French citizen, "and maybe not even then," he didn't think there was any way he and France could kiss and make up.

And with that, Armstrong got back on the bike and Chris Carmichael, his longtime physical trainer, was asked whether he would be surprised if Armstrong didn't ride in the 2009 Tour.

"I would be very surprised," Carmichael said.

It was a verbally feisty and physically fit Armstrong who allowed the media to take a peek at his wind tunnel training.

On the Trek bike, the same model he rode at the 2005 Tour, Armstrong fiddled with everything -- the bars, the seat, the pedals. Off the bike, Armstrong was chatty.

The subject of Linus Gerdemann came up. Last week, Gerdemann, a 26-year-old German cyclist, called Armstrong's return a bad thing.

"This is not positive for the credibility of cycling," Gerdemann said. "But there's nothing anyone can do about it."

He was underscoring comments made by German media executives in September when ARD, a large German television network, announced it would not televise major cycling events because of continued doping scandals.

"For us, Armstrong is a piece of the past we don't want to see again," Rolf-Dieter Ganz said in the Die Welt newspaper. "The future belongs to young riders, certainly not to Armstrong's generation."

"I don't even know who that is," Armstrong said. "I am older. I am part of the older generation. I've been around a long time and I don't know who the hell Linus Gerdemann is, but when I rolled up to the line in 1992 I started winning races and when I roll up in 2009 I'm going to be winning races. And so he better hope he doesn't get in a breakaway with me because I've got a good hard drive."

The double meaning was that Armstrong's hard drive is both his memory and his cycling engine and it is that fire Carmichael said was driving this comeback.

"In basic terms," Carmichael said, "he's a killer and he wants to kill."

As for the doping suspicions, Gerdemann is not alone. Although Armstrong never failed a doping test while setting cycling records, Tour de France officials and European media constantly confronted Armstrong with accusations of doping.

And in the three years that Armstrong has been away from professional cycling, many of his rivals have retired (Jan Ullrich, Alexandre Vinokourov) because of failed drug tests or served doping suspensions (Ivan Basso).

But Armstrong said Tuesday that it is not a doping cloud that causes tension between him and the Tour de France.

"I watch sports every weekend," said Armstrong, who is an Austin native and noted Texas football fan. "I watched Texas play at Texas Tech and the Tech fans hated, hated Texas, hated them. And I hated football after that game.

"This relationship between me and France, this is not what the media likes to play up, all this suspicion around doping. That suspicion exists in cycling in general.

"It's very personal, I think, because of the way I race the Tour. Even what's going on today, the methodical approach, the robotic approach to racing, not showing any emotion, not showing pain and suffering or ease, not showing anything, is not a popular style of racing in France.

"To them panache is the guy who suffers, who's swinging all over his bike and is about to fall off. I never found that an effective way to try and win."

The very complicated relationship between Armstrong and the Tour de France is exactly why Carmichael believes Armstrong will be on the starting line July 4 in Monaco.

"I think it would be a shame if Lance didn't ride," Carmichael said. "For the Tour not to have Lance would be a disservice to the fans, to the event, to the history of the sport of cycling and to Lance.

"Lance Armstrong has done a lot for the Tour de France and obviously it's a symbiotic relationship because the Tour de France has done a lot for Lance. To not have him back at the Tour would just be ridiculous."

Pucin is a Times staff writer.

[email protected]

14. Dizle

Dizle Gear Masher

Professional Student
    Good read

15. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Threads merged

I admire the man, but how many threads does he need? All Lance Armstrong threads merged and in the roadie forum. Please use your search function before starting another thread. I made it a "sticky" to help find it. Thanks

Gene
    STR Moderator

16. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    Armstrong fears for his safety at Tour de France

i'm all dirt (unless curb hucking counts), so i feel so XXXX posting in the roadie forum#-o but saw this and thought would pass along.

yep the guy's a stud on two wheels but dunno sounds a bit like he is setting the table for not riding

Armstrong fears for his safety at Tour de France

Tue Nov 18, 6:53 am ET
    LONDON – Lance Armstrong fears he could be attacked by spectators if he returns to the Tour de France next year.
    The seven-time Tour champion, who is making a comeback after three years in retirement, said in an interview in The Guardian on Tuesday that he is concerned about his safety.
    "I don't want to enter an unsafe situation but you see this stuff coming out of France," said the American rider, who has many critics in France. "There're some aggressive, angry emotions. If you believe what you read, my personal safety could be in jeopardy.
    "Cycling is a sport of the open road and spectators are lining the road. I try to believe that people, even if they don't like me, will let the race unfold."
    Armstrong was asked if he specifically fears a physical attack.
    "Yeah. There're directors of French teams that have encouraged people to take to the streets ... elbow to elbow. It's very emotional and tense," he said.
    It's unclear why Armstrong is worried about his safety now, given that attacks on riders are extremely rare. Organizers have in recent years taken additional steps to protect riders from spectators, including increased use of crowd barriers.
    The Tour has its own police force to guard the route and ensure safety, and French police paid particular attention to Armstrong's safety when he was riding.
    Armstrong announced his comeback in September and joined the Astana team. He is reunited with Astana team leader Johanna Bruyneel, who teamed with Armstrong for all seven Tour de France wins from 1999-2005.
    Armstrong plans to meet with Tour officials before deciding whether to compete in the 2009 Tour.
    Previously, he had expressed doubts over trying for win another Tour title because of the problems he might encounter with French organizers, journalists and fans.
    Armstrong is scheduled to race the Giro d'Italia for the first time. The 100th anniversary edition of the Giro is scheduled for May 9-31. The Tour de France starts July 4.
    The 37-year-old Armstrong said in the Guardian interview that he is in better shape at this stage of the season than in past years.
    "I'm much better physically now," he said at his home in Austin, Texas. "And mentally there is no comparison. I'm far stronger and more motivated. The motivation of 2008 feels like the motivation of 1999. I was back from cancer then. I had the motivation of vengeance because nobody wanted me or believed in me."
    Armstrong reiterated his denials of the doping allegations that have dogged him during his career.
    "I understand people in France and in cycling might have that perception, but the reality is that there's nothing there," he said. "The level of scrutiny I've had throughout my career from the press and the anti-doping authorities is unmatched. I'm not afraid of anything. I've got nothing to hide. I won seven Tours through hard work.
    "This next year won't be any different — even if people hate to hear that. I'm going to be focusing on every aspect of the bike, the team, the strategy, the training, the hard work, the sacrifice. There are no secrets. To the critics, I would say, believe it or not, there are exceptional athletes out there. Michael Phelps ... Paula Radcliffe."

Armstrong also restated his rejection of the French anti-doping agency's proposal that he agree to retest his 1999 urine samples to see whether the French newspaper L'Equipe was right when it reported they contained the banned substance EPO. "I'm all for drug controls, but if the athlete cannot defend himself, what kind of kangaroo court is that?" he said.

17. bdegroodt

bdegroodt Juñior Member

Home Page:
    ^^In as much as I want to support this guy, this is turning into a bigger circus than it should be. The security thing strikes me as a bit of a Prima Dona move. Ride it like everyone else, or don't. Line up and take your chance on the day just like everyone else.

Otherwise, do your image and your retirement justice and advocate for your cause in some other way. It's not like he *needs* the bike to get coverage of his philanthropic work.

18. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    In the 2004 Tour during the TT up Alpe de Huez, Lance had threats against his life. In open stages like the Tour offers the spectators, there is nothing to keep some nut case from shooting someone from the side of the hill.
    If you watch that particular stage, you can see the army of vehicles he had behind him and some were police and I heard undercover police were in the crowd. Whatever that would do in a crowd of 1 million. Threats of bodily harm should be taken seriously but it would be a bummer if it kept him from riding.

FYI: In 1975, cyclist Eddy Merckx was viciously punched by a spectator as he climbed the Puy-de-Dome in the Tour de France. Merckx, who had won the Tour de France five times previously and at the time was in the leader's yellow jersey, finished the stage barely able to breathe, and went on to finish the tour in second place overall.

Pictures: Alpe de Huez TT/ peloton heading up the Col du Glandon/ Smiling on the climb Lance? Or grimacing?

Attached Files:

19. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

You know, I don't blame him. I think he's hesitating but not for the reasons he's stating. He knows at his age, it's going to be grueling, painful, tough and he knows it's going to be nearly impossible to suceed. The odds are against him. I know he's been through hell and back with cancer but his body has changed a lot in the past 10 years and does not have the same resiliency it once did.
    Look at Couture. He got the living snot kicked out of him and he's no walk in the park but he is 45.

Something weird happens to elite athletes like Lance, Favre,and MJ. They cling to the past. There's something seductive about the routine, the rhythm of training, concentration on body and mind, striving for goals, the spotlight, the pressure, and the whole world watching. They miss that and attempt to regain it but often times, they walk away disappointed. I have a lot of respect for athletes like Barry Sanders who walked away from football at the height of his career @ the young age of 29. He knew it could never get better and he was tired of the b.s. with the Lions organization and walked away. Walk away, Lance.

20. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    I disagree to a point. i believe the real reason is that Contador has a real shot at winning the Tour and Astana doesn't need any in-fighting between him and Lance right now. That's why I believe lance is going for the Giro and although he may do the Tour, Bruyneel has said they will have 2 leaders and respect will go to the strongest of the day. Lance wants to win on Ventoux anyway! that was his biggest regret he always said.