Lance: The Official Lance Armstrong Thread

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by osmarandsara, Jul 30, 2008.

1. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Awesome video! By the way, Bjarne Riis is still listed as the official 1996 winner on the Tour De France history website.
    Guess they don't care enough to change it.

2. roach

roach Full Singletrack Tuck

Environmental Planner
    For the Tour de France, the statute of limitations is 8years. Any doping/cheating that comes up after 8yrs isn't considered. I'm sure Bjarne knew that, so he waited 8years then came clean.

3. dirtmistress

retired
    So then Lance will still be considered the official tour winner if he's brought down?

4. roach

roach Full Singletrack Tuck

Environmental Planner
    I guess it depends if/when he is found guilty. I'd say his TdF titles prior to 2004 are safe and sound.

5. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Aw shit, it's over for Lance now. Listen to this in depth researchers opinion.

[video=youtube;cmu1CZEN6Yk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmu1CZEN6Yk&feature=player_embedded[/video]

6. Rossage

Rossage Active Member

7. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Lance Armstrong Retires From Cycling
    The announcement comes almost a month after finishing 65th in his last competitive race in Australia.​

Reporter: Associated Press​

Email Address: [email protected]

[​IMG]

February 16, 2011

This time it's for real. Lance Armstrong is calling it "Retirement 2.0" and the 39-year-old cyclist is making it clear there is no reset button this time.

The announcement comes almost a month after finishing 65th in his last competitive race in Australia, and nearly six years removed from the last of an unprecedented seven straight Tour de France titles.

At the start of an exclusive interview Tuesday with The Associated Press he said "Never say never," but quickly added, "Just kidding."

Armstrong says he has no regrets and that "It's been an excellent ride." He adds that he really believed he had a chance to win one more Tour de France.

Armstrong spoke to the AP in a telephone interview and in a videotaped interview from his office in Austin, Texas.

8. dirtmistress

retired
  9. Silver

Silver New Member

Nothing to worry about. It's sad that all the dopers and the enablers in the cycling community have finally forced the retirement of the last great clean cyclist.

10. Albacore

Albacore 34x18

Fireman
    The hammer begins to fall on Liestrong tonight on 60 minutes.

[video]http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7366948n&tag=contentMain;cbsCarousel" />[/video]

11. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    All of the TDF contenders were cheating in the same way. With a level, if not "illegal" playing field, does it change the results? Big money brings big incentives to find ways to win. It's like the all-drug Olympics skit from SNL 30 years ago.

I think it sucks that they had to do it to be competitive. In ski racing, we had DH suits and $100 ski wax. They weren't illegal, but if you didn't use them, you were toast - and that was at the "recreational" Masters level.

What now? Will the substance abuse continue to outsmart the detection measures?

12. 1FG rider

1FG rider The G is for Gear

Its a secret...
    Ouch, not looking to good for Lance with Hamilton speaking out.

13. korunner

korunner Member

Tyler Hamilton is just looking for publicity for his book. I remember that he professed his "innocence" for a looooong time.

14. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Considering he had to testify in front of the grand jury, and coming clean honestly would give him immunity...don't you think he may have been trying to save his own butt, first? Afterall, if it was determined that he wasn't telling the truth, his immunity deal would be lost. Tyler isn't otherwise free of this situation - if this whole thing blows up, without the immunity deal, he may have charges pressed against him as well.

Sure, most of the peloton is guilty, but they don't talk about it. And people may lie and plead innocence, but when things aren't looking good for you, do you really want to lie in front of the grand jury?

I think Lance doped like all the others. So what? He passed all (or most ;) ) of the tests. Why try him again?

15. hav77

hav77 Member

Environmental Planner
    I tend to agree with all the points made here. Waiting for the real story regarding Hincapie. If George comes out and says that Lance doped, while not the silver bullet, would be pretty damning and would be the silver bullet in my book considering their relationship.

16. korunner

korunner Member

2wheel, I agee with some of what you said. However, it's the old story of are you lying now, or were you lying then? I absolutely agree with what you say about the peleton but why does he wait until now to come clean?

17. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

18. bikerider

bikerider New Member

If GH testified to the grand jury that they doped, then I think LA is done. Notice he didn't deny the testimony only that he never talked to CBS. I'm not sure why we as tax payers are paying millions of dollars to go after him for fraud though. He road a bike faster than his competition, who also doped and now they are going after his millions and want to put him jail. We have lobbyists and oil companies give "donations" to politicians campaigns so they vote in their favor and screw the rest of us, but that's not illegal. Plus if what Hamilton says is true doping on USPS was going on before Lance so he was just another rider trying to get back to racing and not the ring leader (later yes he did run the team). Who would they give his Yellow jerseys too? Ullrich, Basso, Mayo?

19. hav77

hav77 Member

Environmental Planner
    60 Minutes did report Hincapie saying Lance doped, however, they supposedly got their info from an unidentified source. Also Hincapie's camp said that the assertion he told the federal grand jury that Lance doped is inaccurate. The story continues...

20. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

I agree. In my opinion, Lance is becoming the Nixon of cycling in that the worst thing he did isn't the offense itself, but lying about it.

If the general consensus is right, that he did take banned substances and/or perform blood transfusions like perhaps most of the rest of the peloton during his era, then his vehemently denying doping and arguably profiting from lying about it and his resultant golden-boy / messiah on two wheels image is clearly wrong.

And he missed his most important legacy--admitting it, providing the leadership to clean up the sport. But, that's easy to post on a message board...

Floyd has ZERO credibility or honor; he's just a spiteful tragic soul. Hamilton, only 1/2 a notch above but deserves a little more credibility than Floyd if for no other reason than offering up his 2004 medal (finally).

Hincapie making such an admission discretely to a grand jury would be quite damning indeed. The difference between Hincapie and the other two is that Hincapie has class and a lot to lose as he's currently employed in cycling on a Pro Tour team and with his cycling clothing biz, whereas the other two need book deals and interview fees, etc.