KS Lev Wear / Maint Question

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by bvader, Aug 2, 2013.

1. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    First I love this dropper seat post so far, WOW it makes a big difference especially when riding the 29 aggressively.

Just FYI : Choice of Droppers was KS Lev vs Reverb very close: Choose KS Lev for cable management, over possible better service / parts availability for Reverb (it was a close call, and slightly against Professor Brandi's rec)
    In short I thought the Reverb cable would bother me every ride vs the clean KS implmenation, where as if I have a service issues it will only bother me during the service issue. (Hows that for logic)

Anyways, I currently have about 150 Miles on it, once the seat clamp bolts came loose, blame that on initial installation and not over-tightening seat clamp bolts but I don't think all that wear came from that one incident.

So 2 questions

Is this normal wear for 150 Miles / 10 rides? I do climb a lot including steeps so I do press down into the saddle

Should I put some grease (or something else) on this interface? Or is Clean best.

I will apply some light grease on the seat clamp bolt threads and typically a little on the rails.

Please feel free to provide any insight, and/or expose my lack of wrenching knowledge.

KS Lev Clamp1.JPG
    KS Lev Clamp2 .JPG

2. solislbc

solislbc Member

Senior Finance Analyst
    i wonder if that wear is coming from the clamp not tighting enough and allowing some give. I just bought this post and also experienced a loosening of the seat clamp on my second ride. i was thinking about trying to use my old thompson top clamp and screws with the cylinder barrel nuts. i wonder if it will work????

3. bvader

Tech Guy
    I come from the Thomson world too...so I am used to 0 issues...

I do think there is a fine line on these with keeping the clamps tight enough vs over-tightening. I am going to reassemble as is... funny other thought was to go opposite and put some light thread lock on the clamp bolts as opposed to grease.

Yes the KS round clamp bolts seem like a good idea / design but also may allow some play...under pressure.

Let me know if you try something different.

Took a quick look don't think you can mix the Thomson... bolts are different sizes... and bottom KS clam expects the larger rounded bolt.

I will also add when everything is installed correctly and torqued correctly there is still a very small / fraction of a degree of rotational play.. I think this is a results of the ball and detent design of the mated surfaces between the lower clamp body and seatpost. I of course wish that were not the case but I do not notice while riding just while comparing to a traditional thomson post.

Will report back on finding over time.

Still open for suggestions.

4. solislbc

solislbc Member

Senior Finance Analyst
    What if we used washers on the thompson bolts? I've read of people having this same issue over on MTBR. They all called KS and either received new bolts or told them they were working on a fix. we shoul dcall and press them.

5. trailninja

trailninja Going Slideways!!!!

Quality Engineer
    The wear and tear on the seatpost clamp looks unusual. I would contact KS for resolution on it. They should take care of it for you I would think that they would stand by their product. On the other hand my Reverb pissing hydraulic fluid is a sad sight.

6. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    That wear is from movement. You do not need to "over-tighten" the bolts to eliminate slippage; you need to torque them according to the specification found in the user's manual. Make sure everything is clean before assembly and use anti-seize on the bolts.

The wear you see is aesthetic and will not negatively affect functioning or reliability.

7. El Immigrante

El Immigrante STR's resident Coyote.

Coyote...need to get your relative across the bord
    Tijuana- Land of pimps, drug dealers, hot women, m
    Over 700 miles one bike and over 500 on the other and they still work flawlessly.

8. bvader

Tech Guy
    Thanks

Poor original sentence structure. Not implying over-tighten, implying fear of over tightening.

Re-installed clean, with anti-sieze on bolts. Will borrow torque wrench to make sure proper torque, although have removed and re-installed non-dropper seat post and clamps many many times no issues with torque by feel. These are 4 mm bolt heads with to 10 n-m pretty basic torque = firm but not cranked. I will say that there appears to be others with issues of the bolts backing out with torqued to spec or not multiple threads elsewhere should have read first. Currently no vertical slippage will ride and see.

Thanks on the wear.

9. bvader

Tech Guy
    Crow being served by me to me.

Checked Torque was well below 6 NM, bought a 6 NM Giant Torque Key Torque wrench. Now can set to 6 NM of max of 10 NM. See how that works and work up from there.

Path also suggested blue lock-tite also confirmed other having some issue of bolts backing off / coming loose.

I will keep on top of it, check regularly.

Also Path confirmed that the very minor rotation play Fraction of 1 deg is normal "play" for KS Lev. I do not notice while riding, just in over analytical mode.

All seems minor compared to benefit, but would still prefer perfection.

10. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    For what it's worth, I've noticed the same sort of play (able to just wiggle/rotate the seat enough to feel it while off the bike), but like you I've never noticed it while riding.