KS LEV dropper seatpost is really starting to disappoint

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by tj90, Aug 7, 2014.

1. tj90

tj90 New Member

Ive owned a LEV for 9 months and Ive managed to bend the top seatpost clamps and bolts. Its a 2 bolt design but the top clamp is so thin that Ive managed to bend it to the point that I cannot lock down the seat no matter what the torque. KS recommends 10Nm torque which is very low but as you start to bend the clamps, you gradually have to increase the torque of the bolts. THe bolts bend making the problem worse.

I was resigned to getting all the clamp parts but BTI - the exclusive distributor of KS small parts - has been out of stock for a month. KS up in orange county told me to call them back if the situation remains the same. Ive reached out and havent heard back...

I like the performance of the post except they really underdesigned the sturdiness of the clamps. I looked at my old easton and the clamp is much more durable design. I really wish KS would build a sturdy design sacrificing a few grams for a long lasting product.

Im tempted to unbolt the thing and have my bike shop send it back under warranty. I really dont want to with the hassle of removing the remote but I guess that is what I have to do...

If any of you guys can point me to a source for parts or repair, Im all ears. A $300+ seatpost is worthless if the clamp and bolts are junk. Maybe you guys have found another brand clamp that fits the KS. Ive tried my easton, but the spacing between the bolts is too great.

2. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

From what I was told KS in foothill ranch is a one man show. I need to get my supernatural rebuilt but can't get a hold of them. I just gave up.

3. AKAlan

AKAlan Member

Film Payroll Accountant
    I'll have to check the clamps on mine. I've always had problems with my saddle sliding back and have been tightening up those bolts to get it to stop.

4. bing!

bing! Active Member

For such situations, I actually bought an anvil and a dead blow hammer :) I suggest you pound that part back into shape until the spares become available. A phone call and a standing order with the manufacturer really helps me in these cases.

5. tj90

tj90 New Member

So last night I did some sleuthing and found the contact information for KS in Taiwan. I politely emailed the factory and explained the situation and asked that they send parts directly to me. They forwarded my request to Rick Taylor who is in Foothill Ranch (949) 742-1180 x101. He responded immediately to me to contact BTI, KHS and QBP as well as www.artscyclery.com in San Luis Obisbo. I contacted Arts and to my surprise - THEY HAD THE CLAMPS! They are back ordered on nuts and bolts but expect them in the next few weeks.

To bing! above - I tried straightening with a ball pein hammer but was still having issue. I guess I wasnt patient enough.

With the new clamp, Im going to follow someones recommendation on MTBR. Im using loctite on the nuts, bolts AND seatclamp rails. I was told to not exceed 2x the torque specification as the 10 NM just isnt enough. We will give it a shot.

I hope this helps anyone else that has a KS seatpost.

6. asphaltsucks

asphaltsucks New Member

You need a bigger hammer!

7. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Yeah agree the seat clamp is the weak point of the design. You might think about putting a dab of Loctite on the seat clamp bolts once you get them right where you want. They have a tendency to back off which then results in continual tightening and torquing...

8. giantschwinn

giantschwinn Member

What's a good alternative to KS LEV nowadays? I've had the LEV for the past 2 years, I am still pretty happy with it and no problems at all. But, just wondering who else make a good dropper post that has a fixed cable mount that doesn't go up and down with the seat. That was a major selling point for me. I didn't want to have the cable move with the seat.

9. tj90

tj90 New Member

Yeah, If I had access to a CNC mill, I would fab a top clamp that was longer gripping more of the rails and was thicker so that the thin aluminum wouldnt deform out by the rails. The easton top clamps are 2x as thick and 50% longer. I would think that would fix the problem. Starting from scratch I think the bolt spacing should be increased as well.

I will definitely use the loctite. I was thinking blue for the bolts and red for the rails, but maybe I should go red all the way around. Thoughts?

10. giantschwinn

giantschwinn Member

How are you going to make adjustments in the future if you use red on the screws? I made a mistake using loctite red before on a different application and had to use the torch to dissolve the bond.

11. bvader

Tech Guy
    Yeah I wouldn't use red on the screws / bolts I would stick with blue...just a dab... you just don't want them to back off on their own.

12. tj90

tj90 New Member

Thanks for the advice! Ill stick with blue for the bolts and red for the clamps.... This is new territory for me. Ive never had to loctite a seatpost before. The manufacturers nailed proper seatpost clamp design years ago - to the point its something you dont have to think about... well that was until KS designed the LEV.

THe last time I had an issue was with an old single bolt kalloy with worn out teeth. YOu would bottom out somewhere and the seatpost nose would let go stinging your nuts.... That had to be 20 years ago!

13. bvader

Tech Guy
    Also I have found that keeping the saddle centered on the rails ie not far for or aft helps too... Of course that can affect your fit

14. kdiff

kdiff Member

Looking for something new
    I was constantly having problems with saddle clamp loosening and ended up actually losing one of the bolts on a ride. KS sent me new bolts and I haven't had a problem since. I tightened them to 8Nm. I'm wondering if it's a quality control issue with their bolts because I've had two Lev's and only had that issue with one of them. Also, I would recommend picking up a torque wrench if you don't have one.

15. El Immigrante

El Immigrante STR's resident Coyote.

Coyote...need to get your relative across the bord
    Tijuana- Land of pimps, drug dealers, hot women, m
    2 years + on the newest version and no problems!

16. xflite

xflite New Member

I have the KS Lev 2014 version....it's only been 2 months since I've been using it on my bronson, I hope it doesn't fail me just yet....love this dropper.....l

17. bvader

Tech Guy
    Man cursed myself... Put on the new saddle.... Did all my normal stuff for set up and end of ride saddle all the way back... Realized I lubed the rails out of habit... Will take it off delube and try that... Machinist friend recommended lite scuff or crocus cloth. BTW I have the new cartridge in this one that part works great. I really like riding with the dropper so I am sticken with it.