Kenda cup west #1-sagebrush safari 2/27/11

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by denmother, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wraschke

wraschke New Member

Student

Im just going to run a Captain upfront and a cross mark in the rear. i see no real reason to worry about a tire combo for Snow, after a while the lines will get beaten down and you'll pick the hard pack. I guess you could run like a Nevegal combo but why?

2. whybother

whybother New Member

As of right now I have two different setups ready to go. If it rains within 36hrs of the race I will be on Sauserwinds front and rear (2.0 front, 1.8 rear), otherwise Fasttraks (2.0) front and rear.

Best of luck to everyone!

I for one am seriously afraid of the cold... Going to be interesting selecting the right clothes/layers for the race!!!

3. GeoRob

GeoRob Member

where did you see that?

4. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

5. GeoRob

GeoRob Member

6. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Ahhhhh, the Sage Brush... this was the first race I ever did (1987). That was the year of two slow moving storm systems met over the race course area. When I got to the start line, I noticed that a lot of riders had tights on. It was pretty cold... so I went back to the car and put on my jeans and jacket over my riding clothes... lucky I did as many who didn't suffered from hypothermia during the race. Several had to be taken off the course to the hosiptal. That was the year that I found out why riding in mud with rim brakes doesn't work. Coming down one of the last single track downhills was an adventure. With no brakes you just crashed from drop off to drop off into the puddles of water. I was so frozen at the end I couldn't open the car door... my hands wouldn't work.. but somehow I survived. I figured if I could survive that I could do anything... every race after that was a piece of cake.

7. igoyippy4skippy

igoyippy4skippy New Member

electronic tech.
    Just to let you guys know the storm they predict moving in on Saturday could drop the snow level to 1,000 feet. As much as riding around in snow and battling frost bite sounds I am going to have to pass on this race since trek has decided to take over 3 weeks to replace a defective frame they sent me. Have fun out there.

8. deja vu

deja vu done dirt cheap!

hehe, slapped on some Sauserwinds 2.0 front and rear last night and tried them out on San Juan Trail this morning...not the fastest rolling tire but hooks up really well.

I didn't know they came in 1.8's, sounds perfect for the back.

For clothes I will bring multiple options and decide at the last minute. The race starts around 11 so it may be a little warmer by then (hopefully).

weather update>>>
    Special Weather Statement for Lake Morena Co Park, California
    Issued by The National Weather Service
    San Diego, CA

Tue, Feb 22, 2011, 9:00 PM PST

... COLD STORM SYSTEM POSSIBLE FOR THE END OF THE WEEK...
    A COLD LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM... CURRENTLY OVER SOUTHERN BRITISH COLUMBIA... IS EXPECTED TO MOVE SOUTHWARD ALONG THE WEST COAST THE NEXT FEW DAYS. WHILE THERE ARE STILL SOME UNCERTAINTIES WITH THE TIMING... CURRENT TIMING WOULD HAVE IT CENTERED NEAR THE BAY AREA FRIDAY EVENING... THEN MOVING THROUGH SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA SATURDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT.
    IT IS EXPECTED TO BRING MUCH COOLER TEMPERATURES... NUMEROUS SHOWERS... AND A SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS. SNOW LEVELS COULD BE QUITE LOW... POSSIBLY DOWN TO 2000 TO 2500 FEET OR LOCALLY LOWER IN HEAVIER SHOWERS. CURRENT TIMING WOULD HAVE NUMEROUS SHOWERS SPREADING INTO SOUTHWEST CALIFORNIA FRIDAY NIGHT OR EARLY SATURDAY WITH SHOWERS DECREASING SATURDAY AFTERNOON AND GRADUALLY ENDING SATURDAY NIGHT. LOWEST SNOW LEVELS ARE EXPECTED SATURDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT.

9. ranoaclan

ranoaclan New Member

Just got back from a preride on the course! As of now it is really holding nice. There is no snow or major mud trails. There is the occasional big mud puddle but nothing real mountain bikers cant handle. The final decsent was the worst part and it was pretty good. If it rains this weekend that last part is gonna get nasty! The second fireroad downhill has a pretty nasty mud fest on it. But the lines were defined! Rode most of the hike a bike. Had to walk about 20 ft of the middle section. But i know it will be faster to hike in the race! Oh well thats my 2 cents!

10. wraschke

wraschke New Member

Student
    Pete Carroll always says theres a bigger chance it wont rain.

11. newport54

newport54 New Member

Designer
    how is the road getting in? with all this rain / snow will it be a problem...

12. cruiten

cruiten New Member

I was out there on Sunday morning and there was no problem getting to the course once I got off I-8...

However, for a while I was worrying about whether I was going to need snow-chains when I was going through the high-passes on I-8 because it was so snowy/grey/gloomy/wet. Lets hope that Caltrans does a good job keeping I-8 open after the storm hits on Saturday.

13. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    I feel for all you folks doing this race on Sunday, I really do...

It was hard enough on a gorgeous (but rather windy) race day in 2009. Can't imagine what you'll be up against this time, though OMR's recollection of his 1987 race could be close. Good luck out there -- stay warm.

- shud

14. cruiten

cruiten New Member

When I was out there on Sunday I ended up riding with Miguel Valadez who finished in 8th place year in the Pro category; he was telling me that he lives in the general area of Lake Morena (Tecate, Mexico) and that he really hates the strong winds that are apparently very prevalent. He was happy about the cold and wet weather last weekend because there was no wind...

Call me crazy, but I am still excited about this race; we will see how I feel on Sunday afternoon.

15. Dazs

Dazs New Member

Rain Friday, Saturday and Sunday 31*F or lower. This mean snow just like sunday. Been watching vid of mountain biking on snow and what they are wearing. I still don't know what the best thing to wear. I can't afford those expensive gears. I just have rain, wind breaker/water proof jacket and pants, long sleeve base layer top and bottom, winter socks, up to 50*F glove will add liner, head band and knit cap. Did I forget anything? Should I need to add another layer of.... What I wore last time on pre-ride was not good and did't know about the snow. Temp that time I think was just between 40-50*F or even higher.

16. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Trust me, grasshopper... this is not a short race... you want to be as warm as possible. I would suggest several layers with the top being wind/waterproof... you can always shed layers as you go along. If you get chilled, your reactions slow and you have a higher chance of making mistakes and crashing... crashing bad!

17. whybother

whybother New Member

in an attempt to try to help other racers... i figured i would share what i have planned.

at this point here is what i plan to wear (with options)

wicking base layer
    arm warmers
    knee warmers
    wicking socks; swiftwick olefin
    wool socks; swiftwick merino
    skinsuit; the skinsuit is more wind proof than regular cycling jerseys
    (wool base layer)
    (underarmor mock neck long sleeve)
    (optional would be bibs and jersey, but only if i have to go with the underarmor mock neck, i don't think it will fit well under my skinsuit which is tight)
    insulated skull cap
    Specialized Deflect gloves
    Pearl Izumi outer layer gloves (these are goretex i think)
    Wind proof vest
    (Specialized Deflect Jacket)

the idea here is that i want to be able to strip layers if i get hot. warmers can be pulled down or off, skull cap can come off, vest can get unzipped. the optional stuff is if it is raining. it is really tough to stay warm once you are soaked!

i worry most about my hands and feet. a race pace effort will keep my core warm, but that last descent can go really bad if you can't feel your hands.

the two layers of socks is a trick i have been doing this winter and works fairly well for sub 2 hrs in cold and wet. wish i had neoprene booties, but i often have to adjust my shoes mid race and booties are not so good for that!

18. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

Like Justin said, hands and feet are key. Grocery bags over wool socks is a fantastic and cheap way to keep feet warm. Invest in a good set of "windstopper" gloves, even if they get wet your hands stay warm. If it ends up raining/snowing a waterproof wind vest is nice to have also.

19. sxc70

sxc70 2bz4wrk

bike rider
    I don't race but this one would be a deal breaker for me to coooooold and wet will be miserable.

you guys and gals are animals...

20. roach

roach Full Singletrack Tuck

Environmental Planner
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.