JAX(All locations) - merged threads

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by PHAT TIRE, Feb 12, 2007.

1. brownlandshark

brownlandshark New Member

Have you actually been into a Jax store lately? Very little of what enthusiasts want? Yes Jax is a trek dominated store but the 2008 Trek line up is excellent. Jax sells colnago, lemond and fisher as well. Some of the Jax stores stock more high end product than others.
    Most customers should care if the shop makes a profit cause if they don't their shop won't be around nor have enough money to hire and pay good mechanics. Feel free to not like Jax but put some actual fact in your reviews. Jax has pleanty of product that any road cyclocross or mountain rider would be happy to use. Even if you don't like trek.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2007
  2. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Yes. I was in Jax Fullerton about three weeks ago. Stocking a couple Dura-Ace or XTR parts does not mean they stock lots of enthusiast parts.

Avid, Hayes, Magura, or Shimano disc brake components? Nope
    Spokes? Just a few non-butted sizes of spokes at Fullerton. Nothing good.
    Handlebars? Bontrager, but that's about it.
    MTB tires? Bontrager, no Kenda, Maxxis, or any of the other common brands (Bontrager tires are not enthusiast tires).
    Wheels? Only the commone Bontrager, Mavic, or Shimano. Nothing unique.
    Frames? None.
    Forks? None.
    Grips? Bontrager and Serfas (I think)
    Pedals? Mostly roadie stuff (and a couple of the same Crank Bros stuff that REI sells).
    Seat posts? Bontrager and a token Thomson posts. No selection of types, styles, colors, or sizes.
    Seats? Bontrager.
    Stems? No mtb stems, let alone selection.
    Bicycle related clothing? Only a few off-brands. Limited brands, sizes, helmets, shoes, and no protection gear.

Small service parts for common parts for cranks, brakes, drivetrain? Are you kidding? But they'll offer to order it for you! Yeah, right. If I wanted to order it, I'd do so online (for a better price and quicker delivery).

I'm currently in the process of building a new BMX bike. There was absolutely nothing anybody would want on a BMX race bike. Sure, there were the token pegs and other cheapo street thrashing parts for the local groms, but nothing I could find useful. Coincidentally, I was near Jax Irvine about a month and a half ago, and it was the same.

Trek has some nice road bikes, but that's about it. By the way, I generally don't buy complete bikes. I usually build them up piece by piece - as many enthusiasts do. The Jax stores don't recognize these enthusiasts.

Enthusiasts like selection, and having basically one brand to choose from is not a selection. It may work for In N Out, but it doesn't address my wants. Sure, Jax may be profitable - trying to be another Performance - but don't confuse that goal with being a shop that enthusiasts want.

If you believe the Jax Fullerton, Irvine, or Yorba Linda (visited 2 months ago) stores stock a good selection of stuff for enthusiasts, you're a prime example of the ignorance those shops have. As I mentioned, I do all kinds of riding (although I could explain my MTB riding includes XC [sometimes geared, sometimes SS], DH, 4X, and AM), and Jax never has anything I need or want (but I still keep checking there).

Again, if I wanted a $359 Trek mtb or a beach cruiser, Jax may be a good store. After all, these customers typically don't know any better or have aspirations for any more. With these customers being the focus of the business, Jax will do well in this arena. Oh, and selling a few high-end Trek road bikes, does not make Jax a higher-end shop, either.

3. guero

guero iFroth

lee brings up some really good points. could you imagine my disappointment when i went into a different JAX location seeking washers for my brake caliper bolts and i was told they didnt have any...yes, they are only washers, and could be bought anywhere (got some at ACE hardware), but i would think that a bike shop as large as JAX would carry something so simple...

4. soul rider

soul rider EMPTY V

veal in a cubicle
    Amen 2wheel lee. Amen

5. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

If I recall correclty, isn't Gary Fisher essentially a Trek offshoot, only offering lower performance (not low priced) bikes? Lemond is also a Trek offshoot.

Oh, so you carry Colnago! :clap: WOOHOO!!! I have not see one at the Fullerton, Irvine, or Yorba Linda stores. Even if you did have one frame, that does not mean Jax carries enthusiast stuff. Besides, if you did have some Colnagos in stock, I doubt you'd have the model or size that would fit me. I would't consider any of the stores described above as stocking Colnago dealers.

So, which of the Jax stores sets the example of stocking high-end stuff? I will visit it.

6. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    [FONT=&quot]Jax is not without a soul, the man behind it started out building bikes and has since built a business that feeds the mouths of hundreds . It 's not easy to stick around when the market shifts, I have heard rumors of Rock and Road handing out pink slips with their last payroll. No employee is ever perfect 100 percent of the time but I can agree some people may be performing below their potential. If you want to be a retailer lesson #1 is that the guest in your store is not just the source of your income, but ultimately should be the boss. Given the average Jax demographic not having the cleats you needed in stock should come as no surprise. But to have to ride all the way over to another store to only have been mislead is unforgivable in my book and I could not agree with you more. This example illustrates one extreme of the spectrum but I don't feel it is indicative of the whole organization. [/FONT]

7. DirtRider

DirtRider Dirt is good

CPA
    Home Page:
    This "Jax manager" seems all to close to the person who was posting on here pretending to be a Chino Hills/Carbon Canyon Park Ranger before the B-Day ride on the 20th... same writing style, grammer and mis-spelling of words along with a lack of posts. All of your points are spot on about Jax... you shouldn't be wasting your time defending your experiences.

8. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Building bikes is a very loose term. I actually worked with Dave Hansen (the owner of Jax) more than 20 years ago at Buena Park Bike Shop. He was a salesman and mechanic just like myself (although he was older and fatter - he didn't really ride much).

Yes, we used to build bikes, or I should say, assemble them. Dave and I, as well as the other shop techs often had competitions building similar bikes. I always beat Dave, and on top of that, his build quality was always poor. Mine were ready to deliver (bikes were always inspected prior to delivery, anyway). Ah there were many stories and good times.

Feeding hundreds? Perhaps. However, since it is a profit-driven store, and considering the majority of employees are young and inexperienced, the pay is not very good. Heck, I've known a couple managers of the Jax Irvine store, and I can assure you that the pay or benefits is not that good. So with that in mind, Dave is certainly not a philanthropist regarding the statement of feeding hundreds.

I want to clarify that I'm not knocking Jax as a whole. There is a place in the market for shops like Jax and Performance. However, Jax is neither owned by an enthusiast, opperated by enthusiasts (with some exceptions), or tailored to enthusiasts. That's ok.

9. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Buena Park Bike Shop

OT

That is where I purchased my first M-bike in 1989:bang:

Resume topic;)

10. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    While the extended families and Dependants may not be that many, all I am saying is that they have yet to go hungry. Thank You for agreeing it's not broken overall, but I think we both concur some areas could be improved. I too have the privilege of riding and knowing some very enthusiastic Jax employees. Most businesses are for profit, which is why I don't hold a grudge with them for catering to the mainstream. From my experience the typical Campy/Conlago guy is seldom pleased. And it's just not fair from the shops point of view to have a 28mm seatpost or proprietary headset or bottom bracket in stock that may never sell when that customer does come in. However if a guest does need that one particular item; I know that if it is available Jax can and will go to the ends of the earth to get it for them. But as stated it will take up to ten business days and cost full retail plus shipping.

11. brownlandshark

I manage the Irvine Jax. I am new to the board, I type fast....sorry not perfect. I have no idea what the the carbon canyon ranger thing is about. My name is Brent call Irvine and ask for me. I ride a brown land shark. A business has a right to examine reviews, respond to them and learn from them....are you faulting me for that?

12. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Since I may have missed your formal introduction, welcome Brent! :welcome:

Thank you for coming here and speaking on behalf of Jax. That does add credibility for the store - or at least the one you're managing. Staff and owners of some of the local OC high-end shops are here, as I'm sure you've seen, so you're in good company. By the way, I mean no disrespect to you personally, so please don't take it that way. By coming here, it truly implies that you're an enthusiast. I wish you the best in using the information you've gained here at improving the service and selection at your store. I'm sure your hands are tied in many ways - as the case for your predecessors - but I hope you can do what you can.

13. brownlandshark

Thanks buddy. I'll see if the Fullerton staff can post on here. I love bicycles and have proudly been a bicycle mechanic since 1986 at various shops. I love riding road and mountain, a bit more mountain I'd say. Just got a Curtlo with a "new" action tec fork. I'm stoked. Come on in sometime, I think our selection is good, could be better for mountain and we'll fix it. Excellent for road, and even cyclocross.
    No offense taken on any posts, Thanks for sharing your thoughts :beer:

14. Innes

Innes Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
    I've only been to the Jax in Claremont, so I can't really comment on any of the other stores, and this may already have been mentioned, but I was just reading in my IMBA Trail News that Jax will be matching Trek's donations to IMBA for their "One World, Two Wheels" (or what ever it's called) campaign. That makes them pretty cool in my book! :clap:

15. stinkyrider

stinkyrider ....BANSHEE RIDER

burden of the state
    Allow me to start off by quoting Dante's Divine Comedy.
    "Abandon all hope ye who enter here" (All said purely in jest)

Seriously though....
    I hope this doesn't ban me or anything, but here's my official diatribe regarding Jax Cycle center. Lemme start from the top. I'll try to remain as objective and reasonable as possible.....if possible. It's hard for an A-hole like myself to remain objective but I'll try. Maybe I'm a victim of unsatisfactory service or maybe I'm a victim of circumstance. I'll let the readers of this thread determine that.

Of course, as a typical noob I bought my first REAL mountain bike in January 2007 at Jax Cycle Center in Fullerton. I bought myself a 2006 Gary Fisher Fat Possum XT on sale. I'll give Jax credit for the fairly good deal I got
    on the bike. The bike remained in my garage collecting dust in my garage until about May 2007 (ski season was still in swing).
    The bike works great until about June 2007 where the Bontrager crank becomes dethreaded and falls off in mid ride with less than 150 miles on the bike. The threads on the spindle are completely gone and the non-drive side arm becomes physically impossible to reattach. Fine, no big deal. Bontrager components are not exactly known for being the best anyway. I took my bike into Jax Yorba Linda with my broken crank and original receipt in hand to warranty the busted crank set.
    Maybe it was just the time it takes for jumping through all the right [FONT=&quot]beaurocratic[/FONT] hoops at Trek, Fisher, and Bontrager but my crank sat in the store for a little more than a week before it was even sent in for warranty. The staff at the store seemed to have little sense of urgency when dealing with me or other customers. After a couple weeks of a no-show crank set, I say "F-it", throw my arms in the air and buy a new Shimano XT hollowtech II. After many many weeks later the new Bontrager crank finally shows. I'm willing to give Jax the benefit of the doubt. Bontrager is probably the one to blame for the slow service in this instance.

WARRANTY ITEM #2

Around mid July 2007 I was riding the Possum in the street and I notice the platform dial on the rear shock (manitou RPA) is bleeding substantial a bit of oil. Every time the shock was compressed, it would sqeeze out large droplets of oil.
    "Uh-oh" warranty time.
    I roll into Jax Yorba Linda once again to warranty the rear shock. This time I leave the whole bike there. I didn't miss it too much because I was just riding the new Stinky around (bought at the Path).

Anyways, the bike sits in the shop until about late September without a rear shock attached to it. I get a call at work saying my warrantied manitou shock had arrived and that I can pick it up tonight. As I am driving home from work that same day I check my voicemail and I get a message from Jax saying that THEY LOST MY MOUNTING HARDWARE and that my bike is not ready for pickup. I was less than pleased so I say fine, just order the new mounting hardware.

Once again, I say "F-it" and walk into Jax with a brand new Zoke Roco Air R I got at the Path a week before (Many thanks to the path).
    I had come to Jax to reclaim my Fat Possum and have the new shock installed. I had the exact size shock I needed and all the necessary mounting hardware with me. The "service manager" could not figure out how to mount the rear shock (I was right there with him watching). He was saying the eyes don't line up perfectly. The fixed side was true and the stroke side was off parallel with the fixed side. He gave up and I took my bike and both shocks (old and new) out of the store. I gave the service manager specific instructions to notify me as soon as the mounting hardware for the manitou shock arrives.

That same night I took the shock to Rock N' Road Cyclery and they fixed my problem in about 1 minute. The trick? Let the air out of the shock and twist the travel end so the eyes are parallel with the fixed end. The new Roco mounted without a problem. The Roco is super plush but it bounces like a pogo stick while climbing on a single pivot frame like the Fat Possum (too cheap for Fox DHX or RP23). "Dammit, I want the Manitou RPA back."

Right now I am looking at a factory rebuilt manitou RPA shock sitting on my desk with no mounting hardware. To this day I call Jax Yorba Linda twice a week asking for my new mounting hardware. I always get the typical reply, "It's being shipped. It will be here next week."
    "Can I have a tracking number so I can look it up on the UPS or FedEx website?"
    "We don't have a tracking number."
    "Call me when it gets here"
    "Okay"

I've been waiting since July to get my original factory shock back. F__K, this sucks. The mounting hardware was first noticed missing in September. It has been approximately 4-5 weeks now with no mounting hardware to show. Am I wrong for bitching, here? Does it normally take this long get 40mmX8mm mounting hardware from Manitou?? Am I being unreasonable here?

Another thing that chapped my ass was that in the time the fat possum was left in the store, somebody had been f-ing with the front wheel even though it was completely fine. I found my bike there with the vavle cap completely gone with the front tire left completely flat with the presta valve open. Plus I found out on my next ride after I got that bike back that the bolts for the front rotor were dangerously loose. So much so that I could almost wiggle the rotor off with my bare hand. WTF? It wasn't like that when I left it. Was it just coincidence?? Maybe so?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Brownlandshark, I appologize for any comments perceived as disrespectful I made earlier in this thread, but I hope you can understand my frustration with my experiences at Jax. There seems to be a severe lack of urgency and much of a "slacker" vibe at the Yorba Linda store. You being a manager, I humbly ask you to rattle the cages at Jax Yorba Linda and provide your employees the proper motivation to get my mounting hardware back. If done so, I will be forever thankful and forever sing the praises of Jax and once again spend my money there.

16. brownlandshark

I have mounting hardware here for a fat possum running a manitou swinger shock. I'm fairly certain this will work for you. Can you bring the bike to my store in Irvine for me to dial it in, or would you rather me send it to them at yorba linda? Call me if you can 949 733 1212 at the Irvine store.
    Thank you,
    Brent....Jax Irvine

17. stinkyrider

burden of the state
    Issue Resolved!!! Mounting hardware received.
    The Fat Possum is alive once again. Thanks Brent!! Thanks Jax. I can't believe this issue was resolved so quickly and efficiently.

18. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Yeah, it only took 3 months to get it sorted out. Here's to Jax!! :beer:

Too bad Brent can't be cloned and work in all their locations. In my experience, there has only been one person in the Fullerton or Yorba Linda stores who has shown as much interest in delivering good customer service, and that dude left years ago.

19. stinkyrider

burden of the state
    I got my mounting hardware in maybe less than 24 hours after that thread was posted.

20. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

My point was that you first took the bike in in July, and your issue only just now got resolved ... and it took someone from ANOTHER location to get the job done. That's horrible CS from the YL store, and mirrors a warranty experience i had there a number of years ago. Brent deserves kudos, however, for stepping in and working it out for you.:clap: Anyway, glad you got your bike rolling again.