JAX(All locations) - merged threads

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by PHAT TIRE, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Slopoke

Slopoke New Member

11.00 $ for an innertube?? WTF!! At least you could use some lube first! Ouch!! I will never go back to that place.

2. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:

It's the age old dilemma. Would you rather have great material wealth and have the respect of the naive but be a total hypocrite, or would you rather be poor, have the respect of the experienced and stick to your principles.

3. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    C'mon Winger don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.
    :)

4. jfromlv

jfromlv trail sanitizer

Student
    Wed. night around Bonelli is still called the Bud's ride, or the World Championships, depending on which group you ride with.

5. chongoblanco

chongoblanco Banned

none i get my check on the 1st!
    thats why u should go to ADRENALINE! they have all of your biking needs\\:D/

here's the #714 288 2012

i admit I strayed once and have felt guilty ever since :(

6. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

before a fully tea party ride.... i lost a tube in the parking lot. off to jax down the street....

all they had was the slime presta tubes.... 13 bucks or so... and i totally ate shit on their waxed linoleum floors in my spd shoes......

hurt my knee so bad....

7. guero

guero iFroth

werd on the street was that they were gonna cut or taze you...or have Caviar sit on you... :lol:

8. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Jensons always for tubes. 10 tubes for 20 bucks, can't beat that. I go to my local bike shop for parts on occasion. They give me really good deals because I go in there a lot. Well I haven't been in a long time so I have to start going a lot again to get the you come in here too much discount. The prices there tend to be on the high side, but since i get cheaper prices its not so bad. They typically give me like 10% off, or don't charge me for little parts and if I don't have money they just let me take the stuff I need and pay them back later. I got an XTR front derailler there before a race for like 45 bucks.

9. guero

guero iFroth

JAX - Long Beach

I actually got a free chainring bolt from them today. The bubb was gonna charge me a dollar, but when I said I had to go get change out of my car he said....."hurry, put it in your pocket." :clap:

A while back I had them replace something on one of my brakes because i'm a tard and stripped it. They were waiting on the part from Hayes, so it wasnt their fault that it took almost two weeks. A couple of the bubbs there are avid mt. bikers and one of the wrenches is a die hard s/s'er...he was cool and answered all my s/s questions when i had purple haze.

So far my experience there hasn't been too bad, but then again, I haven't had anything major I needed to buy or get repaired there. Prices kinda suck though.

10. brownlandshark

brownlandshark New Member

11. brownlandshark

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2007
  12. guero

guero iFroth

thanks for the follow up brownlandshark. just something to keep in mind, all of these opinions are based off of our experiences at different shops. not saying you got bent out of shape by anymeans, and i feel like your original response was well written. sometimes people at the shops, or friends of the shops have gotten kinda bitter about peoples posts regarding their individual experiences at particular shops.

thanks again and welcome to str.

13. CeeDubb

CeeDubb 9.8m/sec² - It's the law

Replay Timing
    Home Page:
    [sarcasm]Note to self...

Do not buy a fully suspended Trek Fuel...

They require more adjustments do to their level of sophistication...[/sarcasm]

Glad I bought an Epic. It gets thrashed and there haven't been any issues. I guess it's less sophisticated.

14. brownlandshark

15. spookydave

spookydave A little dab will do me

I could never own a bike shop. If you walked in my shop and wanted me to do any type of labor for 10 bucks I'd send ya packin. lol

16. CeeDubb

CeeDubb 9.8m/sec² - It's the law

Replay Timing
    Home Page:
    Just poking fun, but if my Epic had to go in for constant adjustments, especially with how much money I've spent on it, and the tech told me that it was because of it's complexity, I'd probably be incredibly upset.

It doesn't make sense to drop a few grand on a bike only to have it in the shop 2-3 times a month. Granted...I'm sure you've got your share of customers that don't know how to take care of their stuff and expect you guys to take care of their negligence.

One thing that I'm not a fan of is the nickel and diming that some shops do. $10 dollars to change out a tube? That's honestly a 10 minute job which would equate to a $60/hour labor charge. $5 is fair and I believe that's what my LBS charges.

Every shop has their good and bad points. Some customers have a great experience and others do not. If you do not have a good experience, talk to management and give them the chance to rectify the situation. If that doesn't work, don't give the shop any more of your business. Find another one to take care of you. Taking your business somewhere else speaks much louder than anything else. If poor maintenance and customer service is the norm for the shop, it will eventually catch up to them in the form of decrease sales and lack of repeat business.

Though I'm moving to South OC, Don's will continue to get my some of my business.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2007
  17. spookydave

spookydave A little dab will do me

10 minutes for the guy to drop it off and get his info. 10 more to swap the tube, 10 more to ring up his bill ..... Then he'll want to stand around and b.s. for a bit like we all do.
    You think 30 bucks and hour shop rate is fair?? Buddy, if you want fair go to Costa Mesa because that's where the fair is.

I bet the people that are bitching about the labor rates are the ones making the big bank.
    I like it when my attorney friend asks me how much the labor will be on his project. I just smile and say “$50.00 every 15 minutes just like you charge”.

18. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Brownlandshark.

Thanks for a mature and I feel appropriate response. ( I love those Land Sharks). I know for a fact that 10 bucks for a tube change is not a bad deal. If you don't do it yourself, then don't complain. For a company/owner to operate a LBS is a very tough job. The return on investment sux big time. I looked into it with a bud of mine and why anybody would start a LBS is beyond me. Very few turn a descent profit. Having had my own company a few times I know what it takes to run a company. People don't realize what it takes, employees, workmans comp, insurance, theft, sponsorships, advertizing and the list goes on and on. All this costs big bucks and to tell you the truth if all you did was fix flats for 10 dollars a throw, you may not be making a whole lot more then breaking even.

19. brownlandshark

Thank you pain freak. I love my landshark. You gotta come in sometime and check it out. It is a tough business but we love it. I can tell you none of us are driving mercedes that's for sure. But I did just wash my sentra LOL! There's so much competition out there that it gets real hard sometimes. You could drive 10 miles from our shop in any direction and hit at least 10 other shops. Everybody starts dropping prices to lure in the buyer but the profits go sour. Anyway, thanks for the educational posts. I'll use them to better myself, my crew and my store.:wave:

20. brownlandshark

The ride that started from Bud's had nothing to do with shop whatsoever. And if all of the riders who showed up for that ride actually bought stuff there Bill would have never had to sell it imho.