JAX(All locations) - merged threads

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by PHAT TIRE, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Matt in Temecula

Matt in Temecula Member

I've had nothing but great experiences at JAX in Murrietta, great people and great service. When my bike leaves their shop, it's always perfect.

2. SeanC

SeanC Active Member

I wanted to buy a chain whip today.
    Went into the Jax in Claremont and brought it to the counter.
    They asked for my name and address and whatnot for their computer and I said I don't want to do all that I just want to buy the chain whip.
    They said they need all of that info in case of a return.
    I asked if the the receipt wasn't sufficient? They said they needed the info in case of a return.
    I said "no thanks, I'll buy it somewhere else" and walked out.

Weird policy, if you ask me. Is this normal?

3. rschroeder714

rschroeder714 HAB Crew sweep (slowest)

District Manager - Alsco AKA hell
    alot of places do do that now. performance bike does it as well.

4. BROWNIE

BROWNIE I'm good at recess!

work
    You don't have too give them YOUR name, just a name. And go "Blues Brothers" on them ang give them the address of of the Staples Center. LOL

5. badgas

badgas I like dirt

Long Beach store as always treated me very well.

Not that uncommon for stores to try and get your info. I know Jax and Performance both mail out catalogs.

6. un-kola

un-kola Just another Homer!

Retired!
    No personal info should ever be "required" for a purchase. For a return, a receipt is all that's needed. They want your info for advertising. If they insist on it and you don't want give it, tell them no and that their policy sucks. Then go someplace else. Once enough people walk out, they'll change their policy or go out of business. As for Performance, they were terrible in the 90's, and last I heard.... they still blow. -Lloyd :wave:

7. jimw2112

jimw2112 Member

soils tech
    I really don't care for that particular business practice. It turns a simple purchase in to a long drawn-out sometimes excruciating question/answer session. Worse if you have to SPELL things for them!!! Nobody will get rich (or even get approved for a CC) with my info, but that doesn't mean I want to give it out to some place I may only visit once. Once they have it you have no control over how they use it. Just remember that the cashier probably hates asking just as much as you hate being asked. The company has already decided that's what they want to do and it's going to take a LOT of negative feedback to dissuade them. Giving bad info is a proper f-off to "the man"!!!

8. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

The reason they want your name and address is not for returns or to open credit cards. It's for the same reason supermarkets have the club cards. It's to track your purchases, to send you junk mail and to sell your info to data bases.
    You do not have to give out personal information for simple over the counter purchases.

9. Racer X

Racer X Member

10. ManInAShed

ManInAShed New Member

Destroyer of worlds.
    I always just make one up. Quick & painless. Zip codes, phone numbers, census data, billing info... you pry into my private details, you lose.

I fully expect someday, a guy from the FBI to just walk up and say "so look, we've got a file on you, but it's like a mile thick and it's all contradictory. ...none of it makes any sense. ...but you don't seem to be up to anything particularly nefarious. What's up?"

Fight da power, I guess.

11. Matt58

Matt58 New Member

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to say hi and introduce myself. My name is Matt Gfell I am the General Manager with Jax Bicycle Center in Long Beach. I am new to STR but am excited to develop some new relationships. If anyone has an questions or concerns with anything we do, please don't hesitate to ask me or send me a personal email. [email protected] I am glad to listen so that we as a company can change and better serve everyone.

Thanks,

Matt Gfell

12. zerogravity

zerogravity (R.I.P.) Lets Ride!!!!

Graphic Designer, Track owner
    Home Page:
    Hey Matt! Good to see you on here man! Matt is one of the coolest guys I have met from Jax. Very knowledgeable and very helpful! One of these days I will get him to ride with us!

13. LuvMammoth

LuvMammoth Member

Teacher
    I have had nothing but great service from Jax in Long Beach. Although they are not a "hardcore" mountain shop they more than get the job done. I bought my Pivot from them and love that bike. I had also purchased a Gary Fisher Hi fi from there with the Red Shield warranty which they honered every problem, 99% or which were caused by my own crashes, in a timely fashion at zero cost. I try to support all local shops from bikes, to skis, to surfboards. I realize Jax is a chain but it is my local shop and I am a happy customer.

14. Matt58

Matt58 New Member

I have been totally missing out! I saw you guys rode yesterday on FB. I'll make sure to hit you up really soon. I am bum'd I am going to miss your Saturday Ride in Chino Hills.

15. Matt58

Matt58 New Member

I have been totally missing out! I saw you guys rode yesterday on FB. I'll make sure to hit you up really soon. I am bum'd I am going to miss your Saturday Ride in Chino Hills.

16. SeanC

SeanC Active Member

I have given all my info to InCycle because they are my go-to shop.
    In return, they mail and e-mail me about sales, specials, and include 20% off coupons all the time and even sent me a bday card with a coupon in it last weekend.
    Plus they are a great shop.

Just so happens, they didn't have a chain whip in stock, so I rushed over to Jax and wanted to make a quick purchase- y'know,
    exchange some cash for a product- but their policy discourages this quick in-and-out transaction. Thus, no business from me.

Last night chain love had the cutter chain whip for $11, so I now have one on the way.
    win-win.

17. Matt58

Matt58 New Member

Thank you for the kind words! With your help and everyone else's, I look forward to growing our product selection. We take great pride in completing our clients repairs in a timely manor. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity. We look forward to working with you more.

Matt

18. Matt58

Matt58 New Member

Thank you for the heads up. We will work on making this better. I am sorry we missed out on this opportunity.

19. zioncoming79

zioncoming79 Old Man Dead

a business bank SVP
    Thanks for putting yourself out to the wolves!

I have never had a poor experience at a Jax. The shop employees have always been friendly and welcoming. However I have left disappointed. Recently I dropped by your Yorba Linda store to pick up a non-QR seat post collar. After about 10 minutes of the employee looking in the back for one, he came out to let me know they don't sell ANY seat post collars!

I think we all know Jax doesn't cater to avid cyclists, but it would be nice to have a few basic everyday MTB items in stock for a quick get-n-go.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2012
  20. Matt58

Matt58 New Member

Yeah, I know Jax has disappointed A LOT avid riders, and weekend warriors. We/I feel horrible about this. This is the main reason I wanted to throw myself out here. If there items that we could carry to make every body's life better please let me know. We have a core re-order list that we order on a weekly basis. A lot of things are out there and I (unfortunately, but wish'd I did) do not know everything on the market. Our goal is to make these items available for everyone.

Just an FYI too, Our webpage has gone online to be able to purchase products. We can get a lot of these items for you in 3-4 business days. But I know it sucks to wait too. I get impatient as well!

FYI (squared) We give all STR members 15% off. Just show that you are a member when you come into the store and tell us too!

Thanks Again