ISOTUNED Suspension aka drakethomas (threads merged)

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by 92se-r, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

I was having some lingering issues with my Monarch 3.3. I had rebuilt/serviced it myself, but was still getting oil in the aircan, causing a very rough ride.

Decided to send it into Drake, because he was local and turn around time would have been shorter than sending it into Rock Shox. He quoted me a very affordable price.

Sent it in......3 or 4 buisness days turned into 6 or 7 days due to an incident in the shop.

Finally got around to rebuilding my shock.....found a problem with the piston shaft.

Turns out the piston shop had a very minor groove that was allowing oil to slip my.

A call to Rock Shox......and a warranty replacement was overnighted to Drake. Drove out there yesterday and picked it up....(wanted to get a ride in before the rain).

So I sent in my '09 Monarch 3.3 and got back a brand new Monarch RT3........best of all.....only cost me the shipping to send the orginal shock in.

Drake was great at explaining everything to me. He went above and beyond and charged me nothing for it.

Will definately keep him in mind for any service I can't do myself.

2. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    Since I live so close to his shop and commute back and forth to LA, if any in between need me to drop off or pick your items from Drake, I'm willing to meet with you as a favor.

Drake has some new toys, useful to actuating your suspension performance in real time..

3. Ginsu1

Ginsu1 New Member

4. QiKss

QiKss Marcy Ranch Crip

RAD Bicycle. :clap:

5. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

Damn sweet rig! That must of been the carbon Blur he was telling me about yesterday that I just missed. He said it was some serious eye candy.

I had Drake order me some new stickers for my Rockshox Revelation after the local bike shop (sounds like Insycle) flat out lied to me and told me that they we're unavailable and they couldn't get em even though I had just talked to Rockshox and they told me they had them in stock and to just order it from "Insycle" which is one of their authorized dealers. Drake had them within a week with no charge!!!

"F" Insycle!! That is why I Hate many LBS's. They flat out lie if they forget or if they don't feel like ordering it or if there just isn't enough profit margin. Just F-N be honest!!!!

6. Ginsu1

Ginsu1 New Member

Thanks my ride is a carbon Nomad so maybe a gucci carbon Blur showed up after me:bang:...I was there about 1230-2. The white Tracer2 up front was pretty sweet too!

7. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

Sorry, my bad. He probably did say it was a Nomad.

8. emcil

emcil my wife no like me

Spring Maker
    A couple of the guys I ride with had some service done by Drake and were very happy with the outcome. However one wanted to have other service done but was unable to contact Drake. He said when he called the number had been disconnected. Anyone have different information? If so send me a pm and I will update my buddy. Thanks

9. Magna_Graecia

Magna_Graecia Tapia Bunny Slayer

Translator, Monkey Boy
    If you're calling the shop line, this seems to happen periodically. I had the same issue when I had stuff done by Drake awhile back. I guess it has something to so with a neighboring unit and issues with their phone service and it sometimes effects his line as well. You might want to try his cell phone instead. Someone might have it on them...I lost it, unfortunately.

And I might as well add my recommendations regarding his work; he really knows his stuff and everything he does is top-notch.

10. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

His shop line is no longer valid. The direct line to Drake is 619 760-6261 if he doesn't answer leave a message he will call you back. His email is [email protected]

11. AAARGH!

AAARGH! A Pirate's Life For Me

I concur...

I had Drake get me some upgrades for my wife's Kona Kahuna. He got me a Manitou rear shock and had a used Fox Talas that he sold me for the price of re-valving it only. I was very happy with the pricing and the turn around time was very reasonable. I would certainly recommend him to anyone looking for local service.:clap:

12. Ride2live32

Ride2live32 New Member

Custom Fabricator, soon to be cooking chef
    Drakes the MAN period! I need have him do my rear shock ASAP!!!

13. drksun

drksun New Member

I had some work done by drake on my Fox RL rear shock, the shock feels 100 times better now but the lock out doesn't work, I talked to drake and he said he would take a look at it / recharge the nitrogen fill. I've just been too busy to take the shock off and ship it or drive down there, I just wish it worked right when I got it. My only minor complaint was the lack of clarity on the price, drake assured me he would take a look at my shock and call me with the prognosis and how much he would charge to fix it. He called me after he finished all the work and gave me the price, it was around $150, not a big deal but I wish he would have quoted me before he did the work, because at that price range I could of also worked with PUSH. Drake is a smart guy and knows is stuff, I would still recommend him, I think he needs to work on his business side a little more, he's got the engineering covered.

14. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    Drake....I have front forks from a 67 Honda CB450 that needs some cleaning up and attention....is this something you can or would be interested in doing?

15. UPSed

UPSed SPECIALizED

Was looking for a conversion axle kit for my Charger Pros and someone referred Drake to my post. He PMed me and said he had one laying around that he had ordered but never used. I couldn't find it anywhere and my LBS wasn't willing to order it. He shipped it to me for $16! Retail is $20. I shall use him in the future for my suspension needs.

16. jeepr84

jeepr84 Member

Recently had some work done by Drake. I was impressed with his knowledge and his turn around time. I have used Push in the past with no complaints, but nothing beats having someone talk you, in person, through detailed set-up and tech stuff after they worked on your fork/shock. I will be going back to him for sure.

17. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

Does drake work/tune on DHX 5.0 air?

18. jamisjake

jamisjake Active Member

Industrial Mechanic
    He sure does. Give him a call.

19. proraptor

Awesome thanks

20. proraptor

Talked to Drake this morning and what a cool guy. He sounds like he really knows his stuff. Im going to ride sycamore saturday and then drive over to drake and drop off my dhx 5.0. Cant wait to try it out after he tunes it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.