Is this a Poison Oak Reaction?

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by ohyeah89, Sep 1, 2008.

1. chupacabra

chupacabra New Member

Question and comment

How could you get swipped by a branch on the back of the leg? My guess is you have it on a pedal. Make sure to wash you pedal with the technu as well.

The hot shower is the real deal. Then when I can't take it any more I just scratch the hell out of it. I'm not recommending this, but it sure does feel great. It scabs up then heals in a few days. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

By the way there are a couple of spots on the lower section of Marshal where is out on the trail by 2 feet, with no leaves. I guess I could stop and break the stem. Guess I'll do that next time.

2. un-kola

un-kola Just another Homer!

Retired!
    Marshall Cyn.is loaded with p.o.,especially the lower trails up to the fireroad.You may be like me in that you are not that allergic to it.Other people I know seem to break out just by riding by the stuff.- Lloyd

3. onegymrat

onegymrat New Member

Grinder
    God, I hope you're right about my immunity. I think it's my ignorance, since I really don't know what it looks like. The one and only time I rode El Prieto, I was so spooked about not getting PO, I'm surprised I didn't crash from avoiding any foilage.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2008
  4. goldrunner

goldrunner New Member

Construction offsite Superintendant
    I have used Benadryl spray 100+ tomes with out any kind of alergic reaction and has not caused the internal stuff to work less efectively. Hot water just makes it worse. Also Tecnu is for when you think or know you have been in contact w/PO. To be used after the ride. Than start the calamine/Benadrly applications when and if the rash starts to appear..:wave:

5. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Tecnu also helps the itching and over all healing too--not just to squash an outbreak.

It says right on the back: "Relieves itching and soothes burning from poison oak rash."

For me anyway, Calamine has never helped take away the itching and burning anywhere near as well as Tecnu has.:)

6. crashergs

crashergs New Member

Carpenter
    i went to marshall today, started from the oak park area and rode up with a couple buddies, I swiped many bushes especially near the creeks, and I remember reading this thread hoping i didnt touch the poison ivyl.... no markings of ivy yet, 5 hrs laters phew

7. Big Rick

Big Rick more momentum

nothing like Nor Cal

Man it's funny reading about PO down here. Y'all don't know how lucky you are. Up around Berkeley, we just assumed that during any ride we had come in contact with it. Standard post ride procedure was to take a luke warm to cold shower with lots of soap suds - warm water opens your pores and lets the oil in. The theory was that as long as you got it off your skin in 3-4 hours, there would be no reaction. Always seemed to work. Breaking the skin was another deal entirely. A buddy had a PO branch (dead of winter night riding mind you - no leaves in sight) cut him on the upper arm. He had rashes breaking out in all the worst places.

Technu is the stuff though. It pulls remaining oil out of the skin and gets it down the drain... read the ingredients - mineral spirits and lye; it's basically a skin degreaser - not good for long term skin health but it kills the PO.