Is the 26er dead?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rojomas, Jul 20, 2013.

1. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

I keep hearing from people in the know that most bicycle manufacturers are going to do away with the 26" Mountainbike all together and only offer 27.5" and 29" bikes. Depending on who you talk to, many say that within the next 2 years up to 80% of the bikes sold are going to be 27.5 and 29ers like it or not.

I'm all for change if it makes sense like the 2x10 or 1x11 drive train but if it's change just for the sake of change I say leave well enough alone.
    An excerpt from http://www.bikemag.com/gear/news-ready-or-not-here-comes-650/ "The engineers I spoke to at Kona, Specialized and Trek (three brands that are not showing off 27.5-inch models at this show) all gave me the same general answer: that (and I’m paraphrasing here) they’d built and tested 27.5-inch bikes and their testers came back lukewarm on the concept. The wheels did roll over rocks more easily than 26ers and, yeah, they do give a bike a more playful and nimble feel than a larger, 29er wheel, but they also aren’t as outright fun as either wheel size. In short, testers preferred the very nimble 26er wheel or the very stable 29er wheel. 650B/27.5 was just sort of…blah."

2. strobe

strobe resident noob

Thats funny. Kona and Trek are both releasing 650b's. I guess in their eyes, blah means $$$ and its time to jump on the train.

3. TrailBlaza

TrailBlaza New Member

Saving money now for when they come out with the 28.25's in 5 years. Sources tell me that the 0.75" will save you that precious 1 second on the 10 mile decent so your E-dick can grow on strava

4. strobe

strobe resident noob

36! Runnin' a full yard y'all!

[video=youtube_share;fYt6IqaHk_Q]http://youtu.be/fYt6IqaHk_Q[/video]

5. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    Schurter and his 27.5 and now Absalon is on a 29'er....it's all in place now.

The market reality I see developing is that a lot of people think they need custom frames designed for their specific size. No more tinkering with one or two wheel sizes, crank arms, stems, seat posts and the like. There may already be something in the pipeline from a Cervelo or Scott - computer designed frames and accessories specific to the rider. How they make these and make money I haven't a clue. Can 3d printers build a frame and components of carbon? Watch out if that comes to market - there's going to be a lot of old equipment showing up on wholesale auction lots in Taiwan.

Looking at the prices roadies, and DH/XC racers pay for their bikes - who's to say they wont pay more for an even "better" idea?

Means nothing to me personally. I haven't ridden my 26'ers in 3+ years - the 29'er is a better platform for how I ride. Riding that bike till one of us finally breaks down.:)

6. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    I don't know.. I like to work toward getting myself closer to the ground with the terrain we ride, not higher.. I know the 27.5 and 29 options are popular, but I am fine with 26. I roll over rocks fine and don't need another 1.5 to 3 inches more on the wheels.. I'd rather be that much closer to the ground.. This is my 2 cents and I'm sure there are plenty who agree and disagree, but it all depends on what u ride. If you spend more time descending, I don't see the value in it.. if u are a XC/climbing machine, then sure why not..

7. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

The year . . . 2018. "Tired of the slow drag of big wheels? Introducing the all new 26" wheel bikes."

8. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    That looks like sooooo much fun #-o

9. ezworks

ezworks Member

Saw on pinkbike and VitalMtb of 2014 Specy Stumpy FSR's and Camber's line up all goes to 29er and nothing 26" or 27.5 wheels.

10. boxedlp

boxedlp New Member

health care
    No money to change to a new ride, maybe later on change to a 27.5 fork and wheel?

11. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Don't know don't care. Go to a endurance XC MTB race and you will see very few 26ers. At the Whiskey 50 the pro were all on 29ers mostly Scott for some reason.

12. AKAlan

AKAlan Member

Film Payroll Accountant
    I feel like this is a pendulum that will swing back the other way at some point. In a few years new riders who have ridden nothing but the larger wheels will "discover" the 26er and it's benefits. I just built up a 26" bike (ASR-5C) and have no regrets, but I also own a 29" SS that I also like. The manufacturers (aka marketers) may be facing out 26" but decades worth of bikes with those wheels ensures getting tires, rims, etc should be no problem for many years to come.

13. Bruce in SoCal

Bruce in SoCal Member

Lawyer (semi-retired)
    FWIW, my kid is a graphic artist and he has been tasked with advertising graphics for a new 25.25 wheel. Lighter, stiffer, more nimble and easier to accelerate. Also much less expensive in CF.

14. Bruce in SoCal

Bruce in SoCal Member

Lawyer (semi-retired)
    Unless manufacturers make changes in wheel size, there will be less urgency in replacing frames and forks.

15. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Bigger wheels doesn't equal higher off the ground. There are quite a few 29ers that are as lows as any 26 bike in that same travel range.

16. Pickettt

Pickettt New Member

That right there is THE answer.

17. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    I guess that can be true. I was only basing it off a couple I've ridden and they weren't designed as you note above, and felt way high for my tastes

18. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Mountain Bike Forum Owner
    Home Page:
    I tried a 29'er and I didn't like it. That does not mean they should not make 29'ers. There may be amazing advantages to 29'ers but I like my 26" AS r5c. It has that flickability that I don't see in a 29 inch bike. I know there are those that disagree, no problem.

AKAlan is right in stating that the years of 26" are too defined to stop making parts.

I personally think that exhausted frame designs and novelty has led to the tire diameter to infuse a new market. The bike manufacturers need a new market to get back in the "bling". My opinion is it's more about selling bikes.

Don't think the 26'er is going away anytime soon. I'm just sayin'....

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Eventually, 26" bikes are only going to be available in the entry level bikes.....under $800. Bikes above that price range will run either 650b or 29.

20. granny ring

granny ring Not Really Here

kept man
    For sale
    Spesh Stumpjumper Expert. 26" wheels
    Make offer, desperate to unload before it is only worth hanging on the wall. #-o