Is it me, or do dry wicking shirts make a stink?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bing!, Oct 19, 2012.

1. bing!

bing! Active Member

My wife keeps buying me dry wicking, dri-fit, blah blah shirts and I don't wear them. I think they make a smell shortly after you put it on.

Anybody else notice this?

2. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

Sounds like she needs to use more detergent or smaller loads.

3. J-Chap

J-Chap New Member

are they anti-bacterial ones? this could help. and you stank!! hahahaha

4. bing!

bing! Active Member

Oh crap, I don't think I wanna start that conversation :(

5. zerogravity

zerogravity (R.I.P.) Lets Ride!!!!

Graphic Designer, Track owner
    Home Page:
    Im noticing it too...hmm..gonna have to do some research

6. psyclerider

psyclerider Member

Photojournalist
    I had that problem with a sour smell in any clothes I sweated in. It started happening after we bought new front loading washing machines. I spent a lot of time trying to figure this out and here's the weird thing, the smell went away when we started washing all our clothes in cold water. I actually think my problem is an issue with our water heater.

7. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

The ones that have polyester tend do that. It depends on the blend. The best bet is SmartWool, but who can afford that?

8. mike001

mike001 Well-Known Member

Back in the "polypro" days, the materials seemed to have a tendency to harbor odors. The stuff now is great IMO as far as odor harboring/generating, but otherwise the fabrics' characteristics vary widely.

The best IMO is still Patagonia Capeline, even at its premium price. I'm completely over anything SmartWool...not cheaply priced and doesn't last. Thorlo socks FTW.

Maybe try a different detergent, fabric softener, etc?

9. XgoodlifeX

XgoodlifeX Hello

Add a cap of Peroxide to each wash when those are washed. It helps.

10. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    I've heard in several outdoor forums that liquid fabric softener actually helps to defeat (clog?) the wicking properties of Dri-Fit style clothes. They said that Bounce sheets are almost as bad. So I stopped using my regular wash techniques and switched to Woolite detergent, delicate cycle, cold water, NO softener and air dry. I haven't had a problem in any of my cycling stuff and my wife's tennis gear is also much improved. The clothes are still nice and soft too.

That came across way too domesticated - time for a Racer 5 and some tools.

11. danmtchl

danmtchl danmtchl

Aera Energy LLC- Mailguy
    Yes they do, My wife has always noticed that if I came in with the shirt/jersey I went riding in that it stank. I ususally wash all my riding gear by itself and use alot of detergent on a medium load to get the stank out.

12. BandMan

BandMan New Member

White Vinegar in the laundry

My wife's a runner and a friend gave her a tip to use a cup of White Vinegar in the laundry with detergent. It's cheaper than the sports detergent and will not leave a vinegar smell on the clothe. There are a lot of articles about using vinegar in the wash to clean your clothes and an alternative to bleach.

13. badgas

badgas I like dirt

Yes they do, I always wondered if they resist moisture then maybe they are not getting soaked with the soapy water and actually getting all the Stank rinsed out.

14. exrcyst

exrcyst Member

15. irv_usc

irv_usc Active Member

Mine were pretty bad. I switched to tide with febreeze and that seemed to help.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

16. gigerrider

gigerrider New Member

Mechanic/full time student
    I stink noticeably more when I wear a jersey, and it dose not seem to take long.

17. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    It's the bacteria STILL left in your shirt that when your body temp rises the bacteria starts to release the odor. (Happened to my straps on my Dakine pan too after wearing a tank top with it). I use baking soda in the load and oxy clean helps, but I still have one jersey that won't stop. Going to try the vinegar before I give up...love that shirt.

Google is your friend - have known this, but here is a better explanation than I'm willing to type...

As it turns out, the very attributes that make technical synthetic fabrics such winner at wicking away moisture from the body is what can makes them such a prime destination for bacteria and odor too. Synthetic fabric is constructed with tiny microscopic notches that collects sweat and moves it from the inner layer of the garment (next to the skin) to the outer surface, where it can evaporate more easily. The problem is that these microscopic nooks and crannies are also a perfect place for bacteria to collect.

So it’s true that synthetic fabrics are great for running because they wick away your sweat but, unfortunately, bacteria (which causes the smell) easily gets trapped in the fibers and can be very hard to get out. Even after washing! Unless the synthetic fabric is treated with some type of odor block technology you will find that your shirt can quickly start to stink. Also, keep in mind that many brands claim that their garments have “odor block technology” since their garment has “wicking properties.” However, “wicking” should not be confused with technologies that actually prevent odors by eliminating bacteria on contact.
    • Using baking soda helps. Pre-soak your clothes in a solution of water and Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda (or just use water and a cup of baking soda). You can use the pre-soak setting on the washing machine or do it in a separate container. Then wash and use Arm and Hammer laundry detergent.
    • Try using a special detergent formulated for technical wear, such as WIN High Performance Sport Detergent. Those types of detergents will remove the odor, but won't degrade sweat-wicking or water-repellent properties.
    • Plain white vinegar is an inexpensive and cheap odor remover. Soak your running clothes in a cup or two of vinegar mixed with plain water. Then wash as usual. Or, pour 1/4 to 1/2 cup of white vinegar into the wash (along with your regular detergent).
    There are also lots of new odor-fighting running clothes on the market. They may sound too good to be true, but these running clothes do actually help keep you dry and odor-free. Although some of them are more expensive than your average running shirts, they're worth the investment because they'll last longer and keep you smelling fresh.

18. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    Cotton, the look, the feel, the fabric for my rides