Road Ride Report Irvine to San Diego.

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by 06CVPI, May 20, 2011.

1. 06CVPI

06CVPI Member

uber secret
    Finished my ride from Irvine Metro Station to downtown San Diego. Took me about 8 hours, 88 miles with the last 12 being all hills since we made a wrong turn and end up in Claremont. Legs are ok but my lower back hurts from doing it on a tri-bike. Fun ride but man the Torrey Pines hill was a killer after completing 70 miles. If anyone haven't done this I suggest you do it to experience the scenery and workout.

2. ebenke

ebenke Member

Project Director, architecture, technical side
    Nice Job, that's a heck of a ride.

3. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    Awesome job... Im sure the portion of O Side was a little nerve wracking with all the vehicular traffic. Did you get a sun or wind burn??

4. 06CVPI

06CVPI Member

uber secret
    Being a roadie for a long time I didn't mind the traffic in Oceanside. Actually it's the traffic in Clairemont that was more nerve racking than anything. Hauling butt at 40mph on skinnies down a rough road alongside the bike lane with vehicle traffic stopped had a few closed calls.

The best part of the ride was when we hit the San Onfre area state beach right before Camp Pendelton. The ride started out chilly with cloudy skies but when the sun broke through it felt good. I didn't get wind or sunburned. But got a nice farmers tanline. We kept pushing through with no breaks other than stopping in Carlsbad for 2 hours to grab lunch and rest our legs.

We staying downtown by the Gas Lamp District and taking the Amtrak back in a few hours. I also found out that there is a century ride every year. Its called the Amtrak century ride and its around the 28 of September for those who is interested.

5. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    From what I've read/been told the Amtrak Century sells out FAST....similar to a CC/VQ sale. Great job on the ride.

6. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

This has been a goal of mine. Maybe by the end of summer I will be in good enough shape.

7. 06CVPI

06CVPI Member

uber secret
    Don't plan on doing this ride alone or with 2 people. I think what help is riding with 4 people. We all rode in formation and took turn drafting off each other, except for the hills by Torrey Pines and Clairemont.

As for the Amtrak Century ride I heard tickets are limited to 1000 riders and they sell out quick. I remember the Rosarito to Ensenada rides days. Mucho fun.

Thanks again for the compliments. If anyone is interested in going again hit me up. My next ride is going to take done beginners from Irvine to Carlsbad and take the train back.

Edit, guess its September 10th this year for the Amtrak Century Ride.

http://www.ocw.org/Amtrak/Abouttheride.aspx

8. Bearrister

Bearrister New Member

Great job with the ride. I did that ride last summer, and tried a second time but only made it to Oceanside. Fun and scenic. Torrey Pines is a bear of a climb after 70 miles, isn't it?

9. 06CVPI

06CVPI Member

uber secret
    The climb wasn't that bad and would sprint it if we were fresh. But it was terrible after 70 miles! I felt my quads and calves burned every pedal stroke. I guess it was more of a mental thing when you think you made it to the top and veer right only to see you have another 1/4 mile to go.

My next ride will be from Santa Barbara up to Monterey. Can't wait for that.

10. hav77

hav77 Member

Environmental Planner
    Good job. Been wanting to do this on my paddy wagon for the past couple of summers now, but work/injury have gotten in the way. Crossing my fingers for late summer/early fall to do this.

11. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I've done the Amtrak ride every year except for one for the last 10 years. This year we are going to do something a little different. After we ride down, we are going to turn around and ride back. We'll be turning it into a double century. If you want to join us PM me and I'll add you to the list.

Amtrak sold out in 20 minutes last year. Members of Orange County Wheelmen get to register ahead of time. I have a few friends who pay for membership just so they can get in this ride.

I like this ride and if I'm not training for climbing rides I'll do this one, it's about as easy a century as there is.

12. Rossage

Rossage Active Member

I'm planning on riding from Del Mar to Alhambra on June 28. Google says its 115 miles. Should be a good one.

13. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I have done it solo. It wasn't to bad, I had planned to catch up to my friends who started in front of me but a delayed train and a group who felt thought it was the TOC I never caught them. I was on a fast pace all the way to San O to but once I found catching them wasn't going to happen I dialed it back but still made good time. I agree it more fun in a group and easier but it's not that bad solo either.

14. davidB

davidB Active Member

^speaking of....

santa ana to sd, it's about that time of the year again :-k

15. hav77

hav77 Member

Environmental Planner
    Are you thinking of planning one again this year? If so, going to have to make this year's since I've missed out on the last two.

16. chevrolegs

chevrolegs Active Member

I'd like to do another STR Santa Ana to SD ride again. Someone plan it! If someone else wants to do it fixed with me, that'd be great!

17. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Yeah, please post this one up if you guys are doing it again.

18. hav77

hav77 Member

Environmental Planner
    If I do the ride, I'd be doing it on my single speed, but freewheel cog though. My fixed cog was the cause of all my knee troubles :( What gearing are you riding these days? I remember you had been thinking of upping your chainring to 50t a while back.

19. 06CVPI

06CVPI Member

uber secret
    Fixie would be doable but Torrey Pines is going to be tough. A newbie ride from the Irvine station to Carlsbad would be great. Haul butt there, grab lunch, and take the train back for those who don't feel like riding back. Believe it or not the train ride was my first time ever riding one.

I being neglecting my MTB lately. This coming Friday I probably ride Glendora Mountain Road to GRR, down Mt. Baldy and back taking Baseline. Its going to be all hills and quite a distance too.

Sent from my Blackberry 9700 via Tapatalk

20. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

You can also stop in Solona Beach. I did the first time. I was hurting and knew the worst was to come. I think it was 70 miles starting at Santa Ana Amtrak station.