Irvine Regional Park/Santiago Oaks/Weir Canyon conditions (Updated 3-10-14)

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by genusmtbkr5, May 3, 2012.

1. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
  2. WC-Rider

WC-Rider New Member

Santiago Oaks.... Bumble Bee trail

I went to Santiago Oaks yesterday.... Cactus trail to be exact. Was going down the trail after the two jumps there is lots of loose dirt or looks like somebody was working on it or it needs TLC. Bring this up because I took a small fall there, looks like my back wheel spun out and as I put one right foot down the left one was still on the bike and going down as I did the splits and that hurts!!!! So be careful out there.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2013
  3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

There are no jumps on Bumble Bee.....you are speaking of Cactus. Yes, some of the turns are really loose. Not much anyone can do about it til the rains come and we get some water to help pack them down.

4. portlypeddler

portlypeddler Active Member

under a bridge
    As bee descends from goat you can use the rocks.

Steve

5. mtnbikej

But there are still no loose turns up there like there is on Cactus.

6. Wrecker

Wrecker Member

Consultant; I teach bad vs. good.
    I totally misinterpreted this. I thought someone found a hive on the trail. Loose dirt isn't as exciting. ;)

7. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

1300 yesterday and Oaks was amazing! Just a few wet spots in places, but nothing you can't avoid. Deer was probably the wettest of all the trails I did. With the SA's today I'm sure it's drying out fast.

8. xtremeMTB

xtremeMTB Member

Has Santiago Oaks gotten harder esp Chutes Trail? Seems like a lot of big bikes out there these days and yesterday seemed like the trails have gotten a lot more bumpier than usual. The waterfall even for the P-line to the right has gotten a lot more chunkier and the switchbacks are turning a lot more like stair steps. Boy has the trail changed a lot even in the past year. Wondering how the trail will hold up in the long run even though I'm sure a lot of people are maintaining the trails as it's pretty popular.

9. surftime

surftime New Member

self employed
    ya i have seen a lot of big DH bikes there, i still love oaks but a lot big DH rigs skidding down trails

10. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

I have noticed how much wider the trails are getting, whether by design or not. Yesterday got to the top of Chutes and a ranger was there, sitting on a MTB. I said hi, he said hi. Then two guys dropped into Chutes and one proceeded to take the illegal line that connects Chutes from Ladders (aka Chutes Trail) before the second big DH. All of this in plain view of the ranger. #-o Lots of poach lines popping up there lately too, and it's obvious it's not Sue and her horse making those DH lines.

11. mtnbikej

Not really the big bikes.....when they re-routed the trails, they dumbed them down, so a lot more people are riding these trails. Maybe a lot more riders that really don't know how to properly ride......add to that the extremely dry winter we have had, both contribute to the piss poor conditions out there.

12. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

I was driving up Serrano the other day and saw two equestrians exploring around off trail on the hillside over there. Lots of weird trails being made perhaps by equestrians, bikers and hikers all going off trail. And as MTBJ said, the dry conditions and crowds are a factor.

13. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

Just want to give a HUGE thank you to those who did the work at Oaks on Saturday. I was able to get out Sunday, and it is MUCH better. THANK YOU!!!!
    :clap:

14. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Looking forward to checking it out.. we were there last Thursday and I have no doubt Sunday was better.. which trails got the most attention?

15. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty

McG: The bottom of Chutes Ridgeline where the last hairpin turn is before you cross Chutes, and all below that. Go get some berm lovin!!!

16. Sir Laplack

Sir Laplack New Member

I just rode part of Oaks for the first time last Thursday on the way home from work. I wandered off Willow on to Egret, which had a ton of fallen branches across the trail. Are their periodic volunteer trail maintenance sessions that I can take part in?

17. mtnbikej

The horses usually tromp through there and that does a pretty good job of clearing the trail.

18. Brandy

Brandy New Member

The kids and I have tromped through there at least three times since Saturday. I'm sure that helped. ;)

19. portlypeddler

portlypeddler Active Member

under a bridge
    Well, ALL the flat single tracks were a mess after the heavy winds, Trust me I know because I was there after the winds and that was the worst I've seen out there; drought for two years enabled winds to mow down trees in the flood basin like a weed eater. However, with tenacious effort one can find great delight how simple a lot of the blowdown debris can be removed. Sure it's a couple of hours of labor, aka passion, but everyone benefits. I could ride everything after clearing it just needs follow up from others who r concerned.

Steve

20. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

Apparently they've been redoing/scraping some the fire roads at Oaks. Rode yesterday and noticed that the third B, and the fireroad down to where Yucca turns into singletrack is very loose and sandy. Use caution!

EDIT: Irv_USC tells me the scraping continues up the 3rd B all the way to the playground, and that after the gate on the 3rd B it gets very deep