Intense Socom Slacker Dropouts Question

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by stinkyrider, Mar 31, 2010.

1. stinkyrider

stinkyrider ....BANSHEE RIDER

burden of the state
    Ok a few questions for all you intense aficionados because I know jack about intense and bikes in general.

1. Are Intense G3 dropouts the same as the "slacker" dropouts?
    2. Where can I buy "slacker" dropouts for an Intense Socom with 135mm hub spacing?
    3. How much will it cost, roughly?
    4. For all you that own Socoms with the slacker dropouts... Is there any noticeable difference in standover height as opposed to the original style dropouts?

2. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    1. No they are not G3
    2. http://www.powellprecision.com/ (Vince Powell works for Intense as his day job and does this on the side - with Steber's blessing of course)
    3. $87.50 each drive/non-drive
    4. I noticed a difference in how much more *slack* my Socom was but never paid attention to the standover height.Personally I liked the way it rode far better once I had "slackers". Here's some reviews http://www.powellprecision.com/reviews.php

3. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Better than getting the dropouts, get the Offset reducers for the fork..... Works out alot better for the bike.

4. stinkyrider

burden of the state
    Link please?

5. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Give me a few to find it......... Also, PM HAB, he put a set on his Bottle rocket, he can fill you in more than I can on them, and he is great about answering PM's

6. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

7. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I have a K9 headset on order. However, they say that they're out of a couple parts, so it'll probably be a few days to a week before it ships. The guy has been very good to deal with via e-mail.

8. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

If the rear dropouts allow the frame to sit lower ON the axle of the rear wheel, then your standover should be reduced some also.

Sounds like a winner... but is the bike not slack enough already? just curious. 90 dollar dropouts? ouch

9. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

If I recall correctly, one of the downsides to the slacker dropouts is that they extend the chainstay length by about a 1/4 inch.

Oh, and Chewy, you think that's expensive, check out the cost of the Intense dropouts. #-o And considering that the derailleur hanger is built into the dropout, you surely don't want to damage a hanger.

10. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

yeah... 90+ bucks seems cost prohibitive for a wear item....

11. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
    It's not so much about making the bike slacker (although that's pretty cool too) but giving more standover room. BARELY having clearance to stand over and a little more room might increase comfort/confidence on the bike and getting (and jumping) on/off...

12. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

I'd say that the slackers would be the way to go then. it will lower the BB slightly, which should in turn lower the standover (I think BB drop is .25-.3"?)

the slacker HA, lower ride height, and slightly longer stays will also make the bike much more stable. this could also be helpful for building confidence, as the bike will be less twitchy and more predictable.

13. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

since we're spending tara's money here... get an offset headset and the dropouts...

OTB proof bike with lower standover LOL

14. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me
    At the same time, that'll make the front end feel heavier by extending the wheelbase to the rear. In effect, you'll be sitting further forward in reference to the centerline of the bike.

Lower CG is a good thing though.

15. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Thats cheaper then the regular Intense ones

16. mullarks

mullarks New Member

Investment Research
    I have had them on my Socom for about a year now and I didn't notice an increase in standover height but that was never an issue for me. But it should reduce standover by about 1/2" or so.

What I have noticed with the slackers on there (beyond the lower BB and slacker HA) is an increase in the length of the chainstay (about 3/4") which also increases the wheelbase for the bike. The additional length in the chainstays will also effect the shock so you might have to tweak with it a bit to get it feeling right. Hope this helps.

17. stinkyrider

burden of the state
    Danny,
    So overall handling changes? For the better? worse? or just different?

18. mullarks

mullarks New Member

Investment Research
    It does and I would say that it is just different. You'll notice the longer stays the first time you do a drop on the bike. You have to pull up a bit harder to get the front end to lift and shock will feel a bit softer on the landing. I am used to it now but it took a couple of days and a little shock turning to get it feeling good.

And this may be in my head but I feel like I ride off the back of the bike a bit more now. Might be just my riding style changing, but it might be the longer stays. It just seems like the center of the bike shifted a little bit towards the rear and once again that might just be me and not the bike.

19. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

well, moving your weight further forward of the bike's center means more weighted front wheel. not necessarily a bad thing for DH.

you're right about the front feeling heavier though

20. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

The longer chainstays wont really give you a benefit of more weight on the front wheel, in fact, it would do the opposite. Reason is youll be lowering the back end of the bike and in comparission it will be like raising the front of the bike leaving for a need to push your weight forward in the turns more. One of the nice things about the socom is how easily it gets on the back wheel as it is. Either way you go, different dropouts, or a different headset, your still going to be lowering the bike. Reduce the HTA, you drop the front end a bit, you also drop the bb and standover as well. By lowering the front of the bike via a ARH, youll in fact be moving your body weight further into the front of the bike naturally and be mroe comfortable while turning.

Reason I suggested the angle reducing headset... it will have the least amount of negative effect on the bikes handling and feel. Remember this bike was meant for pedalling power, with DH capability, its not truly a DH bike... Its a Fontana DH bike.

Food for thought though.... if you wanted really slack and low, you could go with both... 2 degree headset, and the slacker longer dropouts as well......... What do we think, can we get a socom down in the 63 range???

I think the idea of using an angle reducing headset on a 1.5 head tube is one of the best ideas we have seen in bicycles in a very long time. simple, effective easy to setup. You wont change how the bike rides, your not mucking around with the rear Geo, your not changing the axle path, your not riding a shorter shock, your not riding a smaller wheel.......... IMO it just works out better to use the headset should it be available for your bike