Intense 6.6 vs. Santa Cruz Nomad

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stuffshredman, Oct 27, 2008.

1. TrojanInsomniac

TrojanInsomniac Active Member

DPT student
    need a little extra cash to pay off some bills.

Plus, I'm looking to add a road bike to the stable.

2. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    I've ridden both bikes and they are great all around bikes. It depends on which you like better. Climbing or decending. If you're gonna climb, the 6.6 is much better than the Nomad. But if you don't mind being a little slower on the climb, the Nomad, hands down for me beat the 6.6.

I always felt like I was being pitched over on the 6.6. The bike felt XC to me, though it was plenty capable. The Nomad on the otherhand puts you right in the center of the bike. It just inspires you to go faster on the DH. The only downside is climbing steep hills, you're gonna have to move your butt way forward on the seat.

I'm not sure about the new Nomads, SC shortened the chainstays and dropped the rear travel to 6" If I was getting a new bike, I'd take a good look at the Tracer or if you want the most bang for your buck, a Giant Reign.

3. sauce

sauce New Member

Dissertation writing
    Home Page:
    I "traded" my Nomad for an Intense 6.6 slopestyle. I am very happy with my choice. The slopestyle pedals decently, and it descends so much better than the Nomad. Of course, my Nomad had air shocks. The slopestyle has coils. If you want something more aggressive, I'd do the 6.6 Slopestyle. The frame is beefier.

4. stuffshredman

stuffshredman Member

engineer - AI, some robotics
    oh man, I spent all night reading about these bikes. I should've gone to bed, cause right after I did, our little baby woke up.

Anyway, I think I'm sold on the Intense Tracer VP in Intense Red or Black. Will probably put the Cane Creek Double Barrel coil shock on it...

Thanks for all that replied!

Any thoughts on a good long travel fork? $$ and weight aren't such big factors... I mean they are, but I want a darn good fork, so if it costs me.. it costs me.

Thoughts?

5. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

The Tracer VP comes with the 2009 Fox RP23. I highly suggest you ride the bike with the stock shock before you consider replacing it. I talked with Intense about this and asked if they were going to offer a coil option and they said no. Their feeling is that the bike doesn't need it. The shock performs very well (much better than previous year's models).

[​IMG]

6. Diamondback

Diamondback Banned

7. denmother

I recommend the 2009 Fox Talas 36 RC2!!!! I have been running one for 3+ years and love it!!! For 2009 they have added a 1.5" version!!!!!!!!!

WEIGHT w/
    NEW 1.5” STEERER

(OPTIONAL) 5.05 lbs / 2.29 kg

TRAVEL
    6.3 inches / 160 mm

TALAS 160+130+100 mm​

NEW TALAS III Lever

LOWER LEG
    20QR Thru axle system
    Post style disc brake mounting

8. scottay

scottay New Member

A&P
    +1 on the Talas, I have an '09 also.

But if you go CCDB, would you want a coil fork?

I think the the CCDB and Marz 66 are overkill for a Tracer, just my .02 $ ! LOL

9. zark

zark New Member

Cartographer
    Yes and no. Its 68.5 with a zero stack headset and a 145mm fork. With a regular headset and a 150mm fork, mine is at 68 or so. Yes, its steeper than a DH or freeride bike, but I believe its meant to climb ;)

That said, a lower bb and slacker HA and it'd be awesome. The new Tracer VP looks hot and the upcoming uzzi will be really sick.

10. Diamondback

Diamondback Banned

i agree w/ the rear shoc keep it air.... i saw the site had a fox dhx air
    on their "teaser" tracer pic...but overkill the fork i say no regrets when youre tackling a steep shoot... that tracer looks mean with that headtube area too....damn wish i had money to buy that...boohoo

11. stuffshredman

stuffshredman Member

engineer - AI, some robotics
    I had seen a review by Nigel Page running the CCDB...http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=459260 being from a moto background, I've always been partial to coil with piggybacks (for fade resistance)... but I shouldn't get one just 'cause :)

Any thoughts on a Vanilla versus the Talas? Sounds like the main two differences are coil (van) and adjustable travel (talas)

I do like the Zokes, too. I've got the 888RC on my VP Free and a Bomber Z1 FR on my Azonic... wondering if I should do a 55 versus a 66 if I go Zoke?

DenMother... that red looks sweet!!

12. scottay

scottay New Member

A&P
    That reads more like a paid advertisement! LOL.

The review a coupla posts lower than that one is interesting......He bought a Knolly!

The coil forks weigh a pound or two more, and Marz doesnt have a 55 ETA anymore ( i think) But I have a 55 ATA TST Micro for sale!

I would like travel adjustability, hard to keep the front end down on a 160 fork.

13. denmother

I think the Fox Van on the Tracer would be overkill. You definitely want the adjustability for steep climbs (well at least I do). And you want a lever versus a dial knob that you have to crank up/down. Talk to 2wheel_lee about the Van. He is running it on his Intense SS and loves it.

14. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Although with Marzocchi's current reputation, you'd have to be pretty brave to buy one of their current products.

The difference between a Fox TALAS 36 and the VAN 36 RC2 is .18 pounds, according to Fox's site.

I have an 08 Fox VAN 36 on my SS, and as Nancy said, I really like it.

However, I had an '08 TALAS 36 on my 6.6, and I have to say that fork changed my opinion on how nice air forks can be. After it was broken in and set up right, it performed very well. For a slightly lighter application, such as for a new Tracer, I wouldn't hesitate in getting the TALAS. The adjustability would be very useful on the Tracer.

A comparison of the two forks would more than likely come down to desired features, which the TALAS obviously has more of. There is a performance difference, but if set up correctly - that's the key! - I'd bet that most people couldn't tell the difference. And the '09 TALAS is said to be better than the '08 that I had.

15. scottay

scottay New Member

A&P
    I was thinking 55ATA vs Marz 66 coil......

Marz has a 3 year warranty........anyone else?

16. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I'm sure some people with current Marz forks who've had to deal with warranty situations may comment on the effectiveness or usefulness of the company's warranty. ;)

17. vandyketom

vandyketom New Member

Reign X1 or XO!
    Covers all you want for less, I love my X1.

18. madridg

madridg Ride Therapy Patient

Medical Device Engineer
    Home Page:
    I had the exact same questions a year ago, I went with the Nomad and LOVE it.

That said, I am also a "Made in the USA" fan, and bought a Socom for DH- love that too.

19. Diamondback

Diamondback Banned

I was thinking 55ATA vs Marz 66 coil......

Marz has a 3 year warranty........anyone else?

yes the 55 is good i have one....yes I first hated the Marz QR axle, but now I only dislike it. But I like the 55's they are the new Z's I think, but i like 'em

20. lkn2ryd

lkn2ryd Member

Court Advocate, Property Manager
    The Tracer is one heck of an all round bike! The new one 2009 VP is seriously sweet. Surf City Cyclery has one on the floor and I have my eye on it, unfortunately, my wife has my wallet, and my car keys, and my bus pass, and she locked up my other bikes when I mentioned another Stallion for the stable. I ride a 2002 Tracer and love it. It hasn't killed me yet and I am still exploring its capabilities. Yes, it is six years old.