Intense 6.6 vs Santa Cruz Nomad vs Turner RFX

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rustybike, Aug 23, 2007.

1. rustybike

rustybike Its gonna be a long night

Graphic Design
    Home Page:
    Sooo I'm stuck on 3 different bikes and thought some of you may add some insight. I've got my eyes on the Intense 6.6, SC Nomad and Turner RFX. I've been able to ride the Nomad and 6.6 in the streets but have not found any RFX's to sit on yet. The fit on the Nomad was just ok and I wasn't 100% sold on the suspension feel. I liked the suspension feel of the 6.6 but the fit was a little off, I felt it was a bit too tall. And the seat tube was really high, not allowing me to drop my seat all the way down. I ride a Heckler now, which I'm pretty happy with but I would like a little more suspension but I don't want to sacrifice a lot of quick handling or climbing efficiency.

Other threads I've read mention the 6.6 being superior in handling with it's shorter chainstays and better VPP set up while the Nomad inchworms on climbs and blows through its travel on descents. And I've heard only great things about the RFX on descents but not sure how it climbs.

I'm trying to demo all these on a trail (not sure if that's even possible in San Diego)... till then any thoughts out there on this?

Cheers!

2. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I've seen and talked to numerous people about the climbing ability of the RFX, and they say it's on par with the Five Spot and this is a good climbing bike. Don't get me wrong they are still 6" bikes, but out of these 3, the RFX is the best.

3. dhmike

dhmike Banned

process server
    my opinon i'd go with the intense 6.6.

4. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    Tough call here, I have not riden any of these but I do know several people that own Nomads and they would not trade them for the world.... That being said, take a quick trip to Homerville and they will say the same about the RFX. I think that from what I have read all three are very similar and you talk a lot about the fit of each bike. That in my opinion is the deal breaker in any situation. If it doesn't fit right you will not ride it as much..

Good luck with your decision

5. Winston

Winston Bad 5%

I have many happy riding buddies on Nomads and RFXs, but we tend to bias our riding towards the downhills.

The one riding buddy that had an Intense 6.6 replaced it with an RFX. The bad thing I hear about the 6.6 is a flexy rearend. "Just because you heard it, doesn't mean you have to repeat it!" :lol:

None of my Nomad friends have complained about blowing through travel on the downs. (They all have coil shocks.)

Best of luck,

Winston

6. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    those bike are ok, but none of them come close to the capabilities of the new Ti Ellsworth Truth that came out. The bike can do anything from XC race to handle 6' drops to flat....no problem. Best part is that it is a complete bargain, at $4900 for the frame only.

7. SSinGA

SSinGA Free-XC-Downhiller

short-bus driver
    I have ridden a 6.6 and owned the RFX. I would go for the RFX over the 6.6 for the rear end stiffness alone. I could make a 2.35 nevegal rub the stays on the 6.6 by just going hard though a corner. That said there is not alot of tire room in the 6.6 either. That Nevegal had it about maxed out. The sizing on the 6.6 was a little off for me as well.

The RFX is very stiff and has a boat load of tire clearance. They both climbed well but I felt that the climbing on the RFX was better on rough trail surfaces where the 6.6 excelled on smoother surfaces.

happy shopping!

8. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Don't forget about the bushings vs bearings. I had over 10k miles and four years on my 5-Spot and never touched the bushings except to grease the zerk fitting. I have watched friends tighten loose Nomad pivots during a ride.

Whatever one you choose it will be a great bike...good short list.

Dean

9. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    If you go with one of the VPP bikes (nomad, 6.6) take a look at this. My personal opinion - toss the 6.6 out of the list and go demo a nomad and RFX then go from there.

10. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
  11. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Too Funny!

This was a great line "PS Just to clarify (mostly because the usual creeps from the Turner forum are showing up completely missing the point)":bang:

12. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Have you called Beyond Bikes for a Turner demo? I don't know off the top of my head which models they have in stock for demoing, but I know they have quite a few turners in store that you can "demo" for the day. Not cheap, but to ride it on the trail may tell if it's for you or not. And, you would probably get that money back toward the purchase of a bike in their store.

I think the Path in Tustin also demo's Turner, but no idea what they have in stock also.

Homers love their bikes, but so does everyone with a Nomad that I know. Many people here in So Cal ride SC also, and the 4 people I can think of off the top of my head all have varying riding abilities as well as body types, and they all love theirs!

Have you considered Specialized at all? I'm a Spec homer, or whatever they are called. I *love* my Enduro. It's one of the old styles, not the SL dual crown fork version. Climbs awesome over technical singletrack, and descends like a champ. DHX air shock and Talas 36 fork.

13. mullarks

mullarks New Member

Investment Research
  14. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Not that that forum is biased or anything :D

15. Winston

Winston Bad 5%

Gotta love the Dusty Bottoms quote...

16. mullarks

mullarks New Member

Investment Research
    True!! But I think everyone that rides a bike is at least a little bias towards their bikes vs. everything else. But I thought the thread comparing the RFX/Nomad/Sunday was pretty good because a few of the SC and Intense guys chime in.

17. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Well, it's hard not to think that what you ride is good, vs. a bike that isn't set up perfectly for you.

I imagine if anyone went out and bought any of those 3 bikes and set them up how they wanted they'd be happy. But, without buying all 3, setting them up perfectly for you and then picking which one you grab the most... it's really difficult to say which is best ;)

I'll most likely keep my Enduro for a really long time, but Justin wants a 29er Lenz Lunchbox (Behemoth, but with a different dropout and a maxle).

If Brian from the Path ever builds up that Lunchbox they have over there.. ya never know... they may sell it :-$

18. Dirty D

Dirty D ISO Gems...

Moosekeeper
    I dunno Winston, but the general concensus of the Gomer's and couch theorists on mtbr make it sound like you have a hole in your game if you aren't sporting an RFX.

Both are cool bikes, the Turner will most likely be easier to maintain in the long run. Much more personable CS from DT and the rest of his crew - they are great peeps! Hell, the last time I was up there he didn't even have the name of his company plastered on his building - I like that!

If I were looking at the 2007/08 models I'd still lean towards the nomad based on the slacker (HA) geometry, 1.5 headtube and the fact that you can use DC if you choose. The DC may not be recommended on the new RFX's.

Climbing on my 37lb. Nomad is just OK for a porker of a bike like that. I didn't buy the nomad focusing on it's uphill climbing prowess, if that were the reason, I'm on the wrong bike. It gets me to the top of all climbs in relative comfort with it's tight cockpit, and that's all. It's set up to be a hoot on the downs.

I've had two years of happy ownership and currently when I look at other rides on the market, nothing out there really interests me - except for the Knolly Dellirium T, which is more bike then I need right now! I still haven't reached the Nomad's limits yet with my lack of skills.

Nomad or RFX, in the hands of any capable bike handler will be a great choice.

BTW, don't buy into the poseur/snobbery and forget to look at the 6Point, Tranny,Special Ed, and the ReignX while you're at it - they're worth a look!

Over and out,

D

19. Von-Diggity

Von-Diggity Moderator

unoccupied
    Home Page:
    And..

Does it feature the non-lifetime lifetime warranty?

20. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Don't be so modest!

Not that you're overworking the bike, but you don't have a lack of skills! ;)