I'm going to jail

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Pain Freak, Sep 9, 2009.

1. spookydave

spookydave A little dab will do me

so are you guys doing anything to your bikes to make up for the weight gain of those extra batters and rocks you're now packin? lol

carry on

2. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    From the Snopes/Sugar in the gas tank link...

"Accordingly, the best way to gain revenge on someone through the "sugar in the gas tank" prank might be to simply play on the belief rather than the reality — just sprinkle a fair amount of sugar on the ground beneath the opening to the fuel tank of your victim's car and leave an empty sugar sack in a conspicuous spot near the vehicle. Then sit back and watch your victim go wild trying to figure out how to deal with all that sugar he assumes is now in his gas tank."

3. hobohardkore

hobohardkore New Member

Ranch Hand, Weldor
    American drivers dont give a crap about cyclists, and there idiot drivers. ive been hit quite a few times with my trek on the road, my first bike got stuck in some guys scion xb bumper!

i got smart and put bumpers on my handlebars so if a car hits me the car will get more damaged. strangely ive never had anything thrown at me though.

4. un-kola

un-kola Just another Homer!

Retired!
    I've been hit by a car twice.Once on a road bike in '77 and again in '07 on my mtb heading to a trailhead.With that I try to stay away from pavement unless I absolutly have to ride on them.Last weekend I had a pleasant surprise.My wife and I were in Bend,Oregon.We got there on Saturday morning and I hit the local trails in the afternoon.The local trails,(Phil's trail,Kent's trail,Voodoo,etc) are about 3mi.from town.Riding from the hotel I was very nervous about cars flying by me.What a difference from here!!! Almost every car waved or gave me plenty of room on the road.Skyliner Drive,the road people take to the trail head,was loaded with mtb'rs who even slowed down enough to tell me the trail conditions.On the way back to the hotel,The traffic was thicker,especially by the river walk and downtown area.Every car still gave me room to spare,and when I signalled a bus to go ahead and pass me,the driver opened her door and said that I had the right-of-way.The street was narrow at that point so the bus stayed back about 20yds.until there was enough room for her to pass.Tuesday morning I hit the same trails again before we left for home.The morning work traffic was out,but again everybody gave me plenty of room.Bend is definately a bike friendly town!:clap:-Lloyd :wave:

5. fiestanuclear

fiestanuclear Regrets username choice

I had something thrown at me for the first time today. It was just chapstick, but it really pissed me off, because I found out from friends (who went a slightly different route) that this guy threw water bottles at them today. What kind of person drives around looking for bikers to harass? On the other hand, there have been multiple times when cars have gone out of their way to give me more space on one lane roads. For every 1000 (or so) decent and courteous drivers there's one jerk. For anyone in my area this guy drives a sort of orange (I think) PT Cruiser.

6. greenbike42

greenbike42 Guest

I feel your pain.

At least once a week I get some nasty driver behavior on the road. This week, I was coming down Baldy mountain road at some absurd speed when I got buzzed and screamed at.

I rode for over three straight weeks in France and never once had a problem.

If you're up for the jail time than I certainly applaud you.

7. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

I believe Oregon is one of the states with the 3 Ft law. http://www.3feetplease.com/

If you guys need bail, call me ;)

8. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    It's kind of funny. But I've rode 4 different centuries and a slew of other rides since I first posted this and have had very few problems since then. I did take Impy's reply to heart and I don't want someone else to suffer the brunt of some dirkhead's revenge on my behalf so I quit carrying the used CO2 cannisters.
    Today was a little different. I was doing some climbing and on one of the descents I dropped my chain off the big ring. This can be dangerous when going downhill at 35 mph+. So I finally was able to stop and my front derailuer had come lose which caused the chain problem. I was looking for my multi-tool with my bike turned upside down and 3 different folks in cars slowed or stopped and asked me if I needed help. Another cyclist came to my aid. I know I had a multi-tool in my seat bag but I must have lost it on my last flat tire.

9. IDY-Craig

IDY-Craig Lake Arrowhead

Animals
    Watch out in 2017 bud.

10. 68skunk

68skunk New Member

When I was 12, I had a close call on the street with a car. I'm in my 40's now and clearly remember that incident. I do ALL my riding on dirt.
    The only incident I've had on dirt was in a trailhead dirt parking lot. Some lady drove right up behind us as we rode to the trail. We had to scatter to avoid getting hit. She drove away and parked somewhere else. We've seen her before and knew she was going for her hike up the same trail so we waited for her. When she saw us, she turned around and ran back to her car. I reported her to the ranger and was told that this isn't the first time this bitch has done this. She's also reported to the ranger that she has been buzzed by mtn bikers. People are crazy and don't think about their actions when they are in their cars.

11. ManInAShed

ManInAShed New Member

Destroyer of worlds.
    I raced with a notorious cyclocross team in Colorado for ten years, comprised primarily of volunteer firefighters and war vets (myself included). These are guys who fight for fun. None took unprovoked vehicular assault well. Over hundreds of training rides, I learned firsthand how quickly one can knock a drivers side window in, yank a driver out to their shoulders, and throttle them unconscious with a U-lock. On two different occasions, impatient drivers race around us, slammed to a stop in front of us to cause a pile-up. The second time, the screaming idiot started to get out of his car. Climbing out of a hinged metal box puts a driver in a very vulnerable position. The riders at the back called the EMT's even before those at the front slammed the drivers head in his car door.

Here in San Diego, I've had half full beer bottles, a sandwich, a shoe (?), thrown at me, and a friend got hit with an egg so hard it caused a welt that lasted for a month. I will say, San Diegans are lucky that cyclists are as laid back and passive as they are here.

I now ride with a sidearm.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2009
  12. live_in_hilo@yahoo.com

[email protected] hilo boi

hvac
    i guess some of the story's in this thread sparked a memory. i got hit by a car riding a friends bike when i was a little tike. i dont remember the initial hit just the lady screaming like hell running in circles. i remember the car being sorta far from me indicating that i flew pretty good and my friends bike being thrashed. all i could think of was my friends dad beating me. when i got home i told my dad what happened and all he could say was "look mo bettah next time" go figure!

13. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

At least you guys are well, guys...imagine being a female and having the same sh!t happen...what are we supposed to do?

Well, I usually do nothing. The one time we did have a near miss (because some idiot in a lifted SUV got impatient waiting for a parking spot along the beach in Solana Beach)...I flipped the guy off and then he nearly ran Dan & I off the road to "teach us a lesson". F'er. I wish I had gotten his plate number but it was too late.

I've had bottles thrown at me, too...those happened in Lakeside. Here in Chula Vista I've been lucky so far.

14. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    While Dirvert and I were doing the M.S ride we had some ahole honk and yell at us to get the F- out of the road. The thing is we were pulling into the mall in Carlsbad and there was about 50 other riders with us. Could have bee a bad day for the guy if all of us decided to teach him a lesson.:lol:

15. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    ^ danny- i didn't think about it at the time (too tired), but that means we caught 50 roadies on our mtn bikes.

totally worth getting honked at!

:beer:

16. Johnnyfattire

Johnnyfattire Member

Electrician
    Ball bearings, just wear full finger gloves so there is no fingerprints

17. el cap

el cap Active Member