hydration pack dilemma

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bibiloy, Jul 8, 2009.

1. bibiloy

bibiloy New Member

I just came from Big5 and got me a Hi-Tec Nova 2L hydration backpack, plenty room but not overly big, nice features too -e.g. airflow, expandable, music pocket,organizer etc. all that for a sale price of $25 (reg. $50)
    My question is does anybody have any opinion or experience using this brand vs. a 'brand' name like Camelbak? A similar product costs around $60, should i return my Hi-tec and exchange it for a Camelbak? Is it worth the diff. in price? :-k

2. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Find out the return policy. Use it a few times and see if you like it. If you don't, return it and spend the extra money.
    You saved some good $$ which is always a good thing.

3. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
    I have a Fox hydration pack and the only difference is the tip/mouthpiece. They all leak except for Camelbak. I switched the mouthpiece to Camelbak big mouth (silicone) and never had leak issues again. Also, I think Camelbak's new bladder has some sort of protection against mold build up. If you use anything other than water, then you will most likely get mold build up.

4. UCLAallDay

UCLAallDay New Member

NP
    my cousin got that pack few weeks back for fathers day, his leaked from the get go

5. harosocalrider

harosocalrider New Member

I have not used the one from big 5 but about a month ago performance bike was having a anniversary sale plus i had a 15% off coupon so i got a camelbak for $29 and could not be happier with the way it works (doesn't leak and it's comfortable) compared to my old no name one. good luck with which ever one you choose.

6. 1mtbjunkie

1mtbjunkie 3.2 blocks to beachwood

underwear model
    I bought a no-name brand from Big 5 what a P.O.S.,went out and spent the money on a Camelbak.Could'nt be happier.......

7. UPSed

UPSed SPECIALizED

Camelbak bladders for sure. There are a lot of other cool packs out there though.

8. Au575

Au575 New Member

My first real hydration pack came from Costco (I was a late adopter); worked just fine. My newer, skinnier Camelback is really sexy, though. It depends how much you need/want to carry. On long exploring days I take the High Sierra (Costco) pack, on race/training days, I take the Camelback.

Each has their virtues.

9. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    I have used several hi-tech packs. They work just fine. But I recommend replacing the bladder with a better one. They tend to leak and the cap has cracked on all the ones I have used.

10. metalmtbr

metalmtbr Member

IT propeller-head
    As some already mentioned, the mouth piece is usually the biggest difference. I've had 3 different hydration packs. I had the High Sierra Kahuna which I got at Costco. I really like it. Light weight and lots of pocket space which I like. My son needed a hydration pack so I gave it to him. For my birthday last year I got the Camelbak Blowfish. It's sturdy and expands (hence, named after a blowfish) but not enough compartments (just one front pocket and a huge main pack. It's just too big for my style of riding. Since I've gotten into better shape, I may drink 1.5 L of water at the most so the 3 L bladder is overkill. As of late, I purchased the High Sierra Torrent (http://tinyurl.com/hstorrent) because it's just the right size (2 L) and I like the pockets. It's also on sale at ebags.com. It also has a neat little helmet net. The mouth piece is comparable to the Camelbak and I like the fact the tube is wrapped in neoprene so water in the tube doesn't warm up in the sun. A buddy of mine really likes his CamelBak M.U.L.E. and it seems really nice but to me, it's not that much better than the High Sierra so I'm not comfortable paying the extra $40. If it were lower in price, the M.U.L.E. would be my second pick. Hope that helps.

11. jamisjake

jamisjake Active Member

Industrial Mechanic
    If you like the pack, just go buy a Camelback bladder to swap out and call it quits. Camelbacks are, hands down, the best out there.

12. dashark

dashark Earning my turns...

Firefighter
    I still have my Costco pack as well. Love it!
    You can always replace the bladder with a Camelback if you like the pack. They also sell just the locking mouthpiece, if it fits your existing bladder.

13. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

Dakine packs aren't too expensive but still have most of the luxuries of a Camelbak.

Keeping my eye out for a sale on a Dakine Nomad.

14. YakityYak

YakityYak Is

I don't have much experience with Camelpak with the exception of using a replacement mouth piece. I like my High Sierra. I works great and is just the right size with enough pockets, expanding main pocket and helmet net. I bought it at Costco about 4 yrs ago. I bought my wife the newer model. The pockets are a little different but the bladder has a larger opening that eases cleaning and adding ice.

When my mouth piece starting leaking, I called High Sierra and they sent me a new one at no charge. I accidently pulled on the tube of my wife's water bladder and caused a seeping leak. Called High Sierra and got a new bladder. They have outstanding customer service.

I highly recommend the packs from costco, especially for the price. But they may not be the right size for you. Cosco has a great return policy, too.

15. roller62

roller62 New Member

Enguyneer
    Great value!

I picked up one for about $21 5 years ago and it is still going strong. I can't say if the construction is up to par with Camelback but it has worked great on hundreds of rides and a couple dozen or so hikes. The bladder it came with was OK and I fixed the leak at the tube-bladder junction with some rubber cement and it didn't leak again. I eventually replaced the bladder with a camelback replacement bladder that cost more than the pack did originally. It has a lots of storage and pockets and an air channel down the back. Works great for me!

16. msernst

msernst New Member

i have a target brand "out doors" hydration pack and i never have any problems with leaking out of the actual bladder only out of the mouth piece but if you keep it above the water level it should be fine no reason to spend 30 more dollars on something that serves the same purpose.

Mike

17. pog0

pog0 das n00b

I bought a Camelbak MULE off of eBay for $70 shipped. All stores had it for $100 + tax. Quite worth it in my opinion... My back doesn't get super sweaty like it used to.

18. un-kola

un-kola Just another Homer!

Retired!
    Dakine packs are good,but the water bladders aren't.Put a camelback bladder in instead.You won't find Dakine's on sale that often except on chainlove or steep and cheap.The retail price of Dakine's and Camelbacks are about the same.-Lloyd :wave:

19. DownhillWebKook

DownhillWebKook l'homme plus

IT Architect
    Home Page:
    You get what you pay for...

I have had so many of these things and they're always a grudge purchase because they're not cheap. Nevertheless, I think this is an item where you get what you pay for in terms of quality and the overall thoughtfulness of the design.

Firstly, I always check out the construction--things like stitching, cleanliness of the seams, zippers, fasteners, closures, and overall material. The bladder is not a biggy because you can just buy a better one.

Design, however, is key. I want something that works with the way my ride is going to go down. IF I do run a hydration pack, it's not just for water; it's for tools, tubes, and general storage.

I don't like having to dig for my multitool or goos so I want little externally accessible pockets that I can reach for without taking the pack off. I don't like overly long straps flailing about so I expect there to be some bosses for the slack on those. I generally take my iPod Shuffle so it's nice to have a place on the front staps to clip that and even run the earphone cords through. I don't want junk knocking about in the bag either so I look for little compartments to manage other tools and goodies like my pump, CO2, Glock, and clips.

Kidding about those last two items, but you get the picture. Another plus on any bag, is a place to manage your helmet when you're not wearing it (full face or otherwise). Finally, I like a bag that can "stand up" when you set it down. I can't tolerate bags that slump and fall over.

I am currently running an Oakley Toolbox that my brother gave me. It's small, lightweight, carries just enough water and has nice little compartments for all my little bits and bobs that I need on the trail. It does get a bit hot on my back (it's black) and it doesn't stand up very well, but I deal with that. I also have a Dakine that I could hike up Everest with. It's pretty sick, but way too big.

Anyway, lots of stuff there. Moral of the story: buy a purpose built bag and you'll be set. Buy a crappy one and you'll be cursing it on the trail. Good luck.

Cheers

20. bajaguy

bajaguy Member

I sell cups.
    I have a Fox hydration pack and it is garbage! Ive used it a handful of times and yesterday it would not stop leaking. I was literally getting sprayed in the face with water while riding. I finally had to tie the tube in a knot to stop it. I picked up a Camelbak hydration pack today and it just looks and feels like it's a higher quality. It fits nicely in my Fox pack.

Has anyone had problems with the Camelbak big bite valves leaking? Im thinking of getting the hydrolock valve just in case.