How to fire a customer in 10 minutes or less

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by mtnbikerfred, May 14, 2008.

1. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    I'm not the Sisters of Mercy

This morning I was bored, so I stopped by the bike store... not just any bike store, mind you, but one of the A-List stores. My goal was to stock up on some parts so they would be on my shelf when I feel like working on the bike. With the assistance of an employee, we found an XT cassette on the shelf. The price tag was $119. I commented that the price was substantially more than what I remember paying the last time I bought an XT cassette.

Oh well, times change, and we moved on.

Then we found the XTR chains. $70.

Huh? The last time I bought one, it was less than half that! I became suspicious and lost the mood to shop. I thanked the employee for the assistance, put the items back on the shelf, and left the store. After getting home, I shopped online. I got the cassette for $79 and the chain for $29, no tax, free shipping.

I'm not averse to paying tax and paying a premium to buy from a brick and mortar store, as long as they don't try to bend me over the counter. The greater your price over your competitors, the more my customer loyalty wanes.

I could have purchased from A-List store. With my discount and tax, the total would have been $186 for just those two items. Instead, I'll have those parts on Wednesday and will pay $109.90. To support my friendly bike store, I would have to pay 69% extra. Seriously. That ain't gonna happen. You're not a charity, and I'm not the Sisters of Mercy.

Incidentally, my total purchases today totaled just under $500. I was in a shopping mood, but your pricing was the knife that sliced open your golden goose.

2. zman

zman WTF ?

I know alot of store price match now a days if not come real close
    Maybe you should have asked if they did that?

3. Mongo

Mongo Chewyeti "MongOHNO!"

measurement tech.
    If the prices are that high, I woulldn't even bother. If it's close, I hit them up on price matching. But when the price is 50% higher, they are real proud of their stuff and I just walk.

4. badgas

badgas I like dirt

when a LBS treats a customer as if they are a pro and assumes you already know all the answers.

In other words if a customer is asking questions then a shop should have the heart of a teacher and answer their questions.

5. danmtchl

danmtchl danmtchl

Aera Energy LLC- Mailguy
    The shop I used to work at charges me full price 97%of the time, sometimes I get a deal and I am on good terms with him. I know he has to make a buck but he has lost of alot of customers due to lack of deals. I have bought alot of things at another bike shop up the road because they will give me a deal and I don't have to ask. I don't expect to get a deal every time but it is nice when I do. As RustyIrons states 70% more is outrageous for the same stuff is just way to much, I wouldn't care how "A-list" the shop is.

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Just curious if the XTR chain the LBS was the same as the XTR chain you found on line? 7700 vs. 7900 ? I know the 10 speed Shimano Dura Ace & XTR are way pricier than the 9 speed equivilants.

7. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

I think $119 isn't bad for an XT cassette since my LBS gave me a $100 credit for an SLX cassette (that came stock on my bike) when I swapped it out for a XX.

You can troll the internet for anything and always find it cheaper. However, you are right, pick your battles. At least you gave the LBS the first chance at filling your needs.

8. mike001

mike001 Well-Known Member

Shop owner walks past a customer who is clearly hanging around wanting to talk with a pro. Owner looks into eyes of customer, owner says nothing, no hint of cordial or welcoming facial expression, just the look of "christ, what do you want?" This after a couple of very obvious mistakes and resultant backpedaling.

I'm glad it happened. Moved on to a shop I'm very fond of. My thanks, ______ ______ !

9. donkey

donkey New Member

The Path Bike Shop
    Bingo....

10. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    Good point, J. Perhaps it was a 7900 series chain.
    One would think the bike store employee would have been all over that. As a customer, I rely on store personnel being smarter than me and capable of steering me in the right direction. Oh, well. It all worked out ok in the end.

11. ManInAShed

ManInAShed New Member

Destroyer of worlds.
    I have a brand new headset on a brand new custom fork. They need to be separated. There's a big Trek dealer down the road.

Me: Hey, I don't have my crown race puller with me out here. Can I give you guys a few bucks to pull it?
    Head Mech: Sure, $10.

25min later, still waiting, I walk past the shop door and see my fork, steerer clamped in the knurled jaws of a vise, and the mech lining up a screwdriver and a hammer.

Me: Oh hey, do you have a puller?
    Mech: (rolls his eyes) You want me to use a puller on this? (well I could have beat it off with a hammer myself)
    Me: Yea, it's a tapered roller bearing headset, (see the big wide flat conical races?) so if the races distort...
    Mech: Well, it's pretty chewed up. (they're both brand new, unridden & spotless)

20 more minutes go by. He comes out with fork & race.

Me: Excellent, thank you so much, I apprecia...
    Mech: Make sure you throw that out.
    Me: What?
    Mech: That.
    Me: What... the fork?
    Mech: Yea, that.

Mech turns around and walks away.

It's a brand new, handmade, fillet brazed, $400 steel fork with a precision machined steerer & lower race seat & hand-formed legs & campagnolo dropouts. I'll be sure and throw it straight in the garbage.

Should've just bought another puller.

12. SeanC

SeanC Active Member

I needed a wheel trued so i went to the LBS to give them some business.

went on a monday, talked to one of the mechanics and he quoted me $25 for one wheel.
    I act surprised and he copped attitude and said "you know anyone doing it cheaper?" I said probably. . . but didn't have time to take it anywhere else.
    I said I would pay the $25 if they could have it done by friday at 1:30 since that's when we were leaving for Hurkey Creek.

I show up on friday at 2:00 and they had never even touched it. So they get a mechanic to true it- it took 15 min.- and then still charge me $25. I know the owner but he wasn't there, so I just paid and walked out.

I don't know why it takes 4 days to true a wheel, nor why it would cost $25 for one wheel at 15 minutes of labor.

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Your wheel was probably not the only thing the mechanics had on the labor board.

I would be pisses if my bike that was there before your wheel got put on the back burner so they could help you out. I am a paying customer, just like you.

Shop rates are just that. Based on the average time it takes to do said repair. Sometimes they get it done quicker, sometimes they take way longer. Just like your car mechanic.......job usually takes 20 mins. to do an oil change. If he gets it done in 10 mins. he is still gonna charge you the same. If it takes him 30 mins. again the charge is the same.

14. SeanC

SeanC Active Member

you're right, they are first come first served, so my wheel truing was put at the end of the 4 day line.

my gripes are:

1.) I haven't found another shop that charges $25 to true one wheel
    2.) It wasn't ready when promised, and they agreed to that time since I had told them I needed to leave town.

15. danmtchl

danmtchl danmtchl

Aera Energy LLC- Mailguy
    That is high for a wheel truing. We used to charge $30 set and I think it is still that around here. I do my own work so I don't know shop rates anymore. I know some shops take forever to get things done. When I worked at finishline we would have two mechanics wrenching, and one doing wheels if we had any, if not he would be doing repairs or sales. We had a fast turnaround usually the same day depending on repair or the next day. That is how you keep customers.

As for the promised time, he should of not charged you at all.

16. Patrick

Patrick Member

Real Estate Expert
    Man shops have it tough. I've worked in one, now shop at several, and sympathize with duplicity they have to deal with. I think there are a few types customers: The newbie or the richie who doesn't care about cost, just get it done and sell me what I need. Either they don't know any different or they're not going to shop around for a better deal. These folks don't work on their bikes, happily buy parts MSRP and pay retail service rates. Without these folks the other guys, home mechanics, gear heads, and most that are on this site would have no place to go. I'm guilty, I will rarely pay MSRP for a part or accessory but with the littlest discount I enjoy supporting the local shop.

The guessing game that shop employees have to play is hard. They don't know if you're a need it now buyer or a shopper so unfortunately they don't get to where they need to close the sale. They don't know if you could teach their service crew a thing or two or need help changing a tube.

But there are a few universal bail points, don't over promise and under deliver. Don't promise a date that can't be met, they are not usually going to go someplace else. If you get backed up, don't be afraid to make the call, "hey, we're slammed it's going to be a few more days.." it's the mystery that kills em.

Don't one up. Some guys are so eager to prove they know it all that you end up in unwinnable arguments like SRAM vs Shimano, 26 vs 29...yea many gear head customers are guilty of this as well, but they are there, in the shop, just spewing BS until they buy something.

And to keep it post relevant, do your homework on pricing, nothing is more frustrating than knowing the MSRP for a part or accessory, taken directly from the manufactures site, being prepared to pay it, and find it is juiced up a little. I know prices fluctuate but if you're in retail, manage it.

Wew...Can't wait to head down at lunch, spew my BS, pick through the take off wall...and order my new Blur TRC, with 650b's. (And end the 26/29 debate) I wish.

17. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    I ride/drive by Fletcher Jones Mercedes in Newport Beach a fair bit. Customers get treated like kings/queens. Airport shuttle, parking, free maint. on and on. They set the bar from what I can see. Apples/oranges maybe? I keep a tab on how much I've spent in last two years at my local LBS (two complete bikes, lots of small stuff) and it adds up. Not Mercedes level but I'm not rolling with clunkers either.

I can't ever remember getting a Xmas card from my local LBS. But, I do get free tuneups (easy stuff not a full-blown take down and cleaning) brakes tweaking, odds n' ends, and plenty of small talk when they're not too busy.

I get that Xmas card and I out these guys by name and probably buy my F/S two-niner from them. :)

Ask for what you want. Don't walk in and wait for the red carpet and crown. My own customers tell me what kind of service they like and how fast they want it. I appreciate their taking the time with me to set the playing field so no one's disappointed.

18. Lovin

Lovin Calmer 'n you are

Ask Fletcher Jones how much they make off of each Sale/Lease and what kind of breaks they get from selling Mercedes-Benz in VOLUME.

19. danmtchl

danmtchl danmtchl

Aera Energy LLC- Mailguy
    How can you compare a Mercedes Benz dealership to a bikeshop? That is like comparing Long John Silvers to Joes Crab shack. The cheapest Benz is $35-40,000. I would be willing to bet most come in there and write a check, no haggling or negotiations. A bike shop is not going to have shuttle service, fluffer service in the back or a red carpet. They are two tottally different industries and cannot be compared. Bottom line just go to a shop that treats you like you want to be treated, like a customer.

20. skirt_count455

skirt_count455 New Member

My first bike I bought used on CL to see if I actually liked riding. It was beat up but did the job and showed me that riding is something I want to pursue. One day while riding, the bike was giving me issues and stopped being fun so I decided right there that I would flip it back on CL and spend the money to get myself a good ride.

Fast forward a few weeks later with beater bike sold I start to shop around and look for a new bike. I walked into a few shops without much knowledge but just wanted to find what was right for me. As a former vehicle sales guy, I can't stand people who make you feel stupid for some of the questions you ask. If I knew everything there was to know at the time, I wouldn't be asking you questions. I would come in and pick the bike I wanted off the rack and be on my way. I immediately stop dealing with shops that make you feel stupid for the questions you ask. I finally walked into a certain shop where I was taught about bikes and walked out of there a smarter rider/customer. The sales guys knew their stuff and actually listened to what I wanted to do and what my particular situation was. That is the shop I purchased my bike from and is the only shop I frequent to this day and trust to work on my bike.