How to be a Jack Ass at a Bike Shop..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zerogravity, May 13, 2013.

1. zerogravity

zerogravity (R.I.P.) Lets Ride!!!!

Graphic Designer, Track owner
    Home Page:
    I got this from another forum..kinda funny.

So, you wanna be a jackass bike shop customer? Follow these simple suggestions:

- Say to an employee "hey, what kind of deal can you give me on these? i can get them online for (insert low cheap price).
    - Ask for a discount or free stuff, just because you are you and by golly, you deserve it!
    - Start off with "i work in a shop" and then ask for a discount
    - Ask a bunch of questions, take up lots of time, then leave without buying anything, not even a damn GU, and get your stuff elsewhere. Make sure you get part numbers so you can order online!
    - Get upset when you don't get a discount and threaten to never come back.
    - Act like you are gonna buy stuff, put stuff on the counter, ask to use the bathroom, then come out of the bathroom and say "i'll come back for that stuff" and leave. (haha, suckers! you really just wanted to use the bathroom! even though they would have let you, it's more fun to do it this way)
    - Treat the bike shop like your personal pit crew. Why should they charge you to get your bike running? Just ask them to give you some free chain lube and to tighten up your headset and maybe straighten out your derailleur. It's not really work, any monkey (except you) can do it. Besides, you are trying to get your personal best on the trail, don't they know that?

These are just some of the things you can do. Be creative, remember, the bike shop is there for your enjoyment, and the employees are all filthy rich (you know bike shops make tons of money, way more than the oil and gas industry) and they deserve to be screwed and taken advantage of, and they owe you. You are a cyclist! You don't think Mercx or Pantani had to pay for their stuff, you don't think Danny Macaskill or Gee Atherton have to pay for their stuff, why should you?

2. CarbonLegs

CarbonLegs Search for ultimate ride.

Moto Tech
    I do that all the time, but afterwards, I pull out the 25dollar gift card :)

3. Rossage

Rossage Active Member

Heard this one the other day, directed at a co-worker:

"You're gonna charge me to adjust my brake? It's just handy work!"

"I'll just do it myself....Can you show me how?....and I'll need to borrow your tool."

and after several refusals:

"You're an a**hole!!"

After that, my co-worker caved to her demands. Then he went over to her house and cleaned her toilet with a green scratch pad attached to his nose.

4. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

I've lost faith in humanity.

5. thephat

thephat Active Member

I saw the title, and thought please do not let this be about something me or our staff did....

6. nmeofun

nmeofun Member

I thought the same thing! I was in my LBS quite a bit over the last 3 weeks and ended up buying two bikes. I asked a ton of questions and hmmmd and hawwwed about the expensive one before buying it... I thought for sure this was going to be about me! Glad it's not!

I got great deals - SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BIKE SHOP!!!

7. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Where's that guy Stevers and his Stopwatch he used to keep track of how long he's been kept waiting?

8. zerogravity

zerogravity (R.I.P.) Lets Ride!!!!

Graphic Designer, Track owner
    Home Page:
    Not at all..i posted it up because it reminded me of a couple people i tried to introduce to MTBing and they threw the "forget it, i can buy this cheaper online" card after i get them to a shop and have a shop answer their questions, etc. Literally, checked on their phone to see an ebay price somewhere and decided not to purchase their item. Sometimes, it is frustrating when your intentions are good and people are just too clueless to even care or appreciate. I only really deal with Neil because he is the only person i know there and he is AWESOME! Oh..and i also know Paulina and she is super nice too!

9. Steve C

Steve C Team Sausages 2012

Special projects manager
    That's funny right there!

10. Albacore

Albacore 34x18

Fireman
  11. bing!

bing! Active Member

Its what is called retail. Been like that for thousands of years. From bazaars, to malls to flea markets. No surprise. Shoot, I drive such a hard bargain at the car dealer, I guess I'm guilty of this too. The last car I bought, I got the navi and the panoramic sunroof for free. My LBS will give a 10% discount on a complete bike if you ask, just as long as its not something thats just been released. They even have a blurb on their website. Join a bike club and get 10% off.

I send a lot of friends there and they know that I send them business. I'm such a jack ass for sending them business that expect a 10% discount that they give me freebies most of the time I'm there :)

My principle, you don't get what you pay for, you pay what they get you for. But you gotta ask with respect and courtesy. If you want a discount, theres no need to act like a jerk :)

12. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

Isn't there an app now to scan the barcode on items at the store and it will find the best price for you on-line? What will people do when the retail store isn't there to check it out first and scan the barcode?

13. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    Wail, gnash their teeth, and complain about the unfairness of the Law of Unintended Consequences.

14. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

Yup. Some shops welcome price matching, ala JensonUSA. (they will meet any price if cheaper (within reason)).

Other shops have slightly higher prices, but they have what you need, when you need it. The small margin you lose by shopping there is what keeps the Local Bike Shop...your local bike shop. Do what you can to keep em around :)

15. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

I find a nice smile and a case of beer will get you just about anything your little heart desires. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS suck up to your LBS! ;)

16. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

My bet is they'll complain that the government should have done more or complain that it was the evil corporations that were too greedy.

17. Giddy

Giddy Member

Heavy Equipment Mechanic
    Hey i cut coupons whats the big deal in saving a buck we all friends correct?????????? Or is it all business????????? Lol!!!!!!!!!! Ha!!!! Ha!!!!!
    deficits, obama cartoons[1].jpg

18. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

That only works if you're a chick.

19. Ladd Jasper

Ladd Jasper Full speed, half blind

Politics? Already? This has to be some sort of record.

Please don't take the bait.

20. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    Also, be sure to wear another shop's logo shirt when you perform the points in the OP's post.