Road Ride Report How I got screwed by Mother Nature

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Abui, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    My friend and I entered the Furnace Creek 508 as a two-man team. Four stages for each of us. In August I did a RR about stage 2 and part of 3. We had more practice rides including an evening-night-day ride of stages 3 & 4, timed to be just like race conditions. We continued on in a car to see the road conditions for 2 more stages. I was feeling confident.

For the race we had 3 crew members. (Riders Ruben and me on the right). Race starts at Santa Clarita.

[​IMG]

We left Ruben at the start and proceeded up the road to the end of the neutral zone (24.2 miles) where our support could start.

Solo riders have 48 hours starting at 7AM.
    Team riders have 46 hours starting at 9AM.

Handing off water. Go girl!

[​IMG]

Heading North toward Mojave.

[​IMG]

To fight boredom the race throws in a climb over the windmill hills.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At California City I started my stage. Starting out there was a strong wind at 90 degrees which turned into a tailwind as the route went East.

On the road.

[​IMG]

My teammate finished his stage at 24th of 28. I was glad to see a lot of rabbits to chase down.

[​IMG]

I caught up with a tandem on a climb and stood up to pass quickly so I wouldn't be accused of drafting. Just then I heard a yell and it was the race director taking pictures of all the contestants!

[​IMG]

The Randsburg climb.

[​IMG]

I had a good time on the stage passing 11 riders (5 teams, 5 solos, and 1? according to the time splits) taking 1 hour off the pre-ride.

Trona time station.

[​IMG]

At 6PM night rules go into effect. The rider must always be follwed by his team car.

Descending into Panamint Valley.

[​IMG]

Starting the climb to Townes Pass. You could see a thread of team cars climbing up. Every vehicle has yellow strobes plus tail lights. Hard to capture on film.

[​IMG]

We had a planned stop just before the summit for Ruben to change clothes. You don't want to do it at the summit and descend cold.

[​IMG]

I was supposed to sleep but that didn't happen. Ruben was being affected by wind on the climb but it didn't hurt his time much.

After Stovepipe Wells the route turns South and you're really in Death Valley. Ruben started having trouble with the wind. He started asking how far is Furnace Creek? Over and over. (The end of the stage).

Finally it was my turn. Stage 4 has 47 miles South through Death Valley at or below (-282') sea level before climbing out (73 miles total)

I was immediately fighting a headwind. It was incredible. My pace was a crawl. When I passed someone it was like a super-slow motion film

For eye protection I had snow goggles. That was a good thing. At times the wind was so strong all I could do was walk. I was blown over and cut my knee.

While I was walking the bike was blown into the air while I held onto the handlebar. Progress was slow, sometime riding sometimes walking. No one thought of taking pictures - just surviving.

I realized the wind was deafening so I took some ear plugs the crew had for sleep-time. I then taped my ears over to hold the plugs in.

I noticed a number of vehicles pulled over, the riders were waiting out the wind or resting. Furnace Creek would be the DNF point for a lot of racers.

Here I am still on the road in the morning, still in Death Valley but nearly out!

[​IMG]

A welcome relief.

[​IMG]

Finally the route turns East and climbs.. Another valley has a sandstorm.

[​IMG]

Next ~15 miles of climbing. Relief! The wind diminishes as you climb. I LOVE climbing.

[​IMG]

False summits - no problem. I LOVE climbing. Good-bye wind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I finally rolled in Shoshone with over 11 hours in the stage. I had ridden it before in 5 hours and had planned to do it faster. Best laid-plans of man ....

My teammate had checked with the race director and said that he would do his stages 5 and 7 AND would do my relatively short 36 mile stage 6 while I rested for the stage 8 finale. I was surprised but said OK.

Well, he started out for Baker but seemed slow. His speed on #5 was too slow. At Baker I was told that #6 was my stage again or we DNF. Bummer! There was limited visibilty because the air was filled with dust and I didn't relish filling my lungs with it, my lights weren't charged (it was 6PM again), and my calculations said no - sooo rationally but reluctantly DNF.

2. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    Very nice RR and pictures. This race sounds brutal. Though I don't understand why riders can't ride in a pace line with each other during the day.

3. coldbrews

coldbrews Former Fat Guy

Electrician
    You should have stopped in Randsburg and had a beer.

4. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    I hate road riding! I hate wind.
    Congrats on toughing it out.
    I hate that stuff.

5. KonaDawgDeluxe

KonaDawgDeluxe REKE/DMC

construction estimator/Project MGR
    Nice RR. :clap: I love the desert and those pics are sweet. :bang: The race looks challenging. Good going! :clap: Is Bun Boy still around in Baker? :lol:

6. zedaristo

zedaristo New Member

nice read, and looks like a pain the ass to ride, 35k of elevation? no thanks haha

7. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Is it me, or is there an awful lot of screwing going on in the Roadie Forums lately? ;)

Great RR, my legs are burning just reading that. Good job out there!!

8. BigMike

BigMike New Member

Motor Sports Sales
    Fantastic RR and wonderful pics! great job out there!

And Georgia... I suppose what happens on the "road" stays on the "road" ;)

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

Environmental Planner
    Good RR. I passed your van on the I-5 near Valencia on my way up to Pinos on Saturday morning. :wave:

10. oneredbike

oneredbike New Member

Awesome pics Douglas. Keep some fuel for VQ :lol:

11. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    I love the desert too, when the wind's not blowing. On a night-time pre-ride the Milky Way was incredible.

I don't know about Bun Boy. The landmarks for me were the Greek restaurant and the roads all in a fog of dust.

Didn't you get the memo? Road riding is supposed to be great VQ training. ;)

12. 1080P

1080P Banned

Dotting "i's" & crossing "t's" while balancing
    I hear dirt calling your name again, though, Doug. Great ride review of some brutal conditions during competition. How do your lungs feel after sucking in all that dust for hours on end?

13. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    In Death Valley proper the main component was sand. At one point I smelled the ocean(!) and then realized it was from the salt flats. :lol:

A few times I thought I was wheezing but attribute that to the velocity of the wind. I feel no after affects so no worries here.

14. 27tat27

27tat27 Two Wheels One Pilot

Offroad fabricator
    Great RR.....Sound like fun....for a roadie....

15. SDstumpy

SDstumpy New Member

Engineer
    Wow...crazy ride. Nice work

16. bMANNY

bMANNY New Member

great job. If you didn't spend time posing in pics you woulda added extra 56 seconds or something, but who's counting ;)

17. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I had a few friends who did the 508 this year and two of my buds won the twoman team. Both are over 50 in fact one is 64 years old.I was told about that wind. Some of the strongest riders I know were down to 5 mph until morning and then they were finally able to get moving again. It's a dream of mine to be able to do this race someday.

I'm still very happy you guys got a shot at it.