Hill Billy Bike Bash timing/results

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by EC1, Nov 9, 2008.

1. EC1

EC1 New Member

We want to apologize to everyone for the mess that we had with the results /awards, as racers we understand your frustration and the fact that we couldn't do results.....but we wanted to do the right thing and get them correct,

We realize that it is our first event an that there is a learning curve but as we continue to grow we will get more dialed in and organized for every one to have a good time...thanks

just so everyone is aware we had a 5 thousand dollar timing system flown in with a person recommended by the company to come out and demo the system for us to buy at a future date....timing was our biggest fear so we brought in the best we could find...but unfortunately somewhere along the line it had some issues....

as explained earlier we will have results in a day or two and will mail the trophies to the respective riders that are top 5.

i hope all that attended the event can look past our timing issue and focus on the fun that was had.

We don't profess to be perfect and as we grow we will make mistakes and have to learn from them.

thanks again for everyone's attendance and patients

2. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    I think you and Dale did a GREAT job despite this little issue- considering how short on hands you were I'm amazed everything still went so smoothly.

I am more than willing to help with any future events on my free time. Seeing these events happen and being involved is a great feeling.

Everyone should understand- nothing is perfect first time all around. It will be great to see more events out there, including the continuation of trail building for the bike park.

BTW what kind of timing system was used?

3. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    Eric, you Dale, and the rest guys did a great job on your first event.
    Seem's to me that everybody had a GREAT time, and that's what counts the most!

PS, my boy Jake still can't get over that he won a trophy with a woman bowler on top!

FREAK'N BEAUTIFUL!! :bang:
    [​IMG]

Keep it up, and we'll keep comming back! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

4. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

EC...

You all did a great job on the race, despite a snafu with the timing. I think people are very understanding of the matter. Issues with timing happen all the time, even to folks who have been doing races for a long time.

We appreciate your honesty about it, and your willingness to get the times posted up asap.

Steph

5. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

EC and Dale,

Thank you for putting on such a great event, we definitely feel the LOVE!!! Sorry about the problems with the results, no worries my friends. ;) We all had a great time and look forward to getting our cool trophies in the mail. EC, tell your mom they are awesome.

So, when is the next race??? Or, better yet, when can we come ride out there???

Congratulations Jake!!!!

6. jonathan_sykes81

jonathan_sykes81 GET FORMULA

Military
    The event was awesome. Me, my family, and my buddies all had an outstanding time. Both courses were great, all the staff and volunteers were cool and helpful. EC, no worries on the timing issue, it happens. You guys were straight up about it, and that's what's important. Like denmother said, when is the next race? Me and my buds will definitely be coming back. Thanks for all the hard work from everyone for putting this on.

7. luna

luna I Wanna Ride I Wanna Ride

Realtor
    +1 I can look past the results as the two days were great.

Looking forward to the next one.:bang:

8. zark

zark New Member

Cartographer
    Sh*t happens! I had a great time. I'll make the 3 hour drive from SB again!

9. EC1

EC1 New Member

thanks everyone so much for your understanding, i was so disappointed when everyone was just standing around waiting and we couldn't deliver the times and results..... i didn't leave the venue until 10:00 last night working on this mess.

i take full responsibility for the screw up, as the race promoter i should have ran a system check of the timing system the day before....we didn't.... we were assured by the company that rented us the system that the person running the system was capable, and that wasn't the case...i don't put blame on anyone but myself for not testing it first.

Martha Leslie was a lady nice enough to offer her time to do scoreing for Super D for us and now she is going to go through our back up system and hand calculate everything for the DH...she scores car races, BMX and all kinds of other events, and has assured me that everything she needs is in the paper work she took home last night.......at 10:00 pm!.

it was all there for the gentleman to figure out last night but i don't think he knew how to do it or didn't want to take the time to do it? it will take her about 2 days but it will be right.

Martha also has offered to do our events in the future to remedy this whole mess as well.

Martha,

thank you so much for your time

10. TKCastle

TKCastle New Member

Designer
    Had a great time EC, My only compliant was the cold hot dogs from the vendor. Me and my friends will gladly drive the 1+hr to race again.
    Thanks again EC, lets make this huge!

11. Framekiller

Framekiller Professional Lurker.

professional slacker
    Eric, thanks again. The times aren't important, only having fun. Needless to say, the hillbilly event had fun in bounds, with extra fun to spare. I can't wait for the next event!

12. Took

Took New Member

S/M Detailer
    I was wondering what type of timing system does the World Cup use ? I wonder why we don't run transponders on our bikes ? I race R/C cars also at ARC and every racer has to purchase their own transponder , SX and MX bikes run them in the AMA also. If there isn't this type of system out there for DH timing then maybe I should start it ? Not saying this could have fixed the issue at this race . But transponders are very accurate .

13. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I actually asked a friend about that since he races motorcycles. His transponder cost $400 or he could rent one for $40-80 a race depending on the track. I though that was a great idea but its a question of $. Would you still race if it cost 2-3 more for a transponder type system or would you pay $400 up front for a transponder? Maybe there are cheaper ones, I tried looking this morning but found nothing as far as prices. One did seem promising and that uses stickers (could be attached to number plate and replaced each race with new plate) that are like 40 cents but nothing about how much the rest of the system cost.

http://zoomius.com/ti/zoomius/index.html

14. TKCastle

TKCastle New Member

Designer
    Wow, great idea. I race nitro RC, the AMB PT cost around $100. On the their site the MX PT cost $240. The only thing I do know is that the complete system cost big coin.

http://www.amb-it.com/index.php

15. jonathan_sykes81

jonathan_sykes81 GET FORMULA

Military
    I just checked out the zoomius stuff and it seems awesome. It's only 40 cents per RFID sticker(think transponder). They don't list full system costs but they lead you to think it is way cheaper than the system which uses $400 transponders. Depending on system cost, you could tack on an extra $1 for registration costs and pay for the system after a few races or so.

16. Marshall Willanholly

Marshall Willanholly Active Member

Home Page:
    Here's a whole thread on some of the different types of timing systems used for DH.

I know EC and crew did their research in advance of this race, and I really appreciate their efforts, even if it didn't work out as planned this time. The problems this time around certainly won't keep me from coming out to race the next one, that's for sure.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191148

17. Took

Took New Member

S/M Detailer
    looks like the AMB chipx is the way to go for cycling and each person can purchase their own chip what's another 100 when you have a 4000+ DH bike .

18. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

what about those of us that only have $1500 DH bikes, an don't want to pay an extra $20 to rent a transponder.

honestly, that zoomius thing looks like the ticket. cheap RFID tags can just get thrown on a number plate and assigned to that number plate.

anyway, like Marshall, I'll still show up for races in the future despite the problems with this one. I have all the faith in the world that EC, Dale and company will get all the kinks worked out.

with that, when IS the next race? :)

19. Took

Took New Member

S/M Detailer
    True If all organizationed used AMB then buying your own transponder would be worth it , That is what most R/C car tracks use so it is a no brainer if you want to race you have to spend the money , just part of the equipment like pads, helmet , pants/shorts, jersey . The zoomis does look like a cheaper system , especially if one organization decides to use transponders .

EC are you going to paste the results on this thread ?

Or a link to where they can be found ?

Will they also be on XTRM in the results tab ?

20. dhjill

dhjill New Member

MTB Brand Manager, Haro Bikes
    Thanks EC! Great event...I had so much fun that the results don't matter much to me.

I'm sure mailing everyone their awards is going to be a huge expense for you. You can recycle my trophy, save the shipping costs, and put the money you save on shipping towards future events.

My plate number was 76K.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2008