Hikers in HJ

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jcampbell, Apr 1, 2013.

1. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

sorry you are wrong Rox, The constitution is still very relevant. I was written by people that actually cared for the country not like todays bull shit politicians that only care about control and wealth

2. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

Post of the day!

3. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
    I'd argue otherwise. Even though the distinction may seem arbitrary in everyday conversation, there are somewhat defined levels of egregiousness as you move from "negligent, grossly negligent, reckless, intentional" etc in the legal world. The language here suggests stuff that you'd otherwise be cited for, if you apply it to mountain biking. As an example, I'd think this would be kitting up in full DH gear and riding over the side of the cliff edge trail at oaks Redbull Rampage style, in doing so intentionally leaving marked trails, and getting hurt/rescued doing that.

A regular crash or a bad landing on a jump on the side of the trail - nah. Not in the zone.

This could pose of problem for those who ride trails that are "not yet open," though.

4. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I agree. As for the Constitution we should all be watching this...good TV is not easy to find and this is good TV. The first two have been excellent. http://www.pbs.org/tpt/constitution-usa-peter-sagal/home/

5. Ladd Jasper

Ladd Jasper Full speed, half blind

Got 'em on the DVR. Love Peter Sagal, should be a great watch.

6. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

Funny you bring that show up dean, i caught a couple episodes and the show is awesome.

7. Old School

Old School Member

Wouldn't going over the 10mph speed limit in most of our local parks also be a problem? Not that any of us have a regular crash or bad landing on a jump at more than 10mph. 8-[ Better not use anything with a GPS that would have a record of how fast you were going at the time of the crash.

8. dstepper

Home Page:
    Truth is they can do what they want and try to collect if they want. Cost of defending yourself would be near the same cost as the rescue. I wish we had back country rescue insurance like they offer in Colorado and don't post up that air ambulance stuff I want first responder insurance.

9. roach

roach Full Singletrack Tuck

Environmental Planner
    Great to see something enlightening come out of this thread. Watched for about an hour last night and was very impressed. Thanks for the link.

10. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
    No. That would fall into the "negligence" category and perhaps just make you more likely to be at fault if there were some kind of situation where you injured somebody else.

Think of it like a moving violation in your car. We're not talking behavior that would get you a ticket, like speeding, but behavior that would get your license revoked and you potentially locked up. 100+ MPH driving, etc. That's where you move from negligent to reckless.

Speeding down a 10MPH trail is perhaps negligent, or "negligent per se" (as in not truly negligent, but only negligent because there's a law trying to govern the speed), but not RECKLESS

Think of "reckless" as behavior that you absolutely know or should know is highly likely to result in serious injury or death to you or another. (each one of those words in bold is very deliberate in this explanation)

11. XgoodlifeX

XgoodlifeX Hello

12. Old School

Old School Member

I like the way you are interpreting it and I hope that's how it ends up, but my concern is the way it is written based on the news article quoted earlier:

"The proposed language approved by the supervisors on Tuesday provides that a person 16 years of age or older can be billed for the actual costs of a search and rescue if it requires “the use of extraordinary methods” and the person acts in violation of federal, state or local law or “shows wanton and reckless misconduct in disregard for his or her safety.”

It specifically says breaks a law or is reckless, not breaks a law and is reckless. So, if that 10 mph speed limit is considered a state or local law, that's all it would take. Even a simple moving violation is breaking a law even if its a minor infraction. By the way, I like the way you explain reckless and agree with it.

I hope the wording is changed before it is passed.

13. Danimal

Danimal Gary the Cat

Life in itself is an inherently reckless and fatal activity.

14. dstepper

Home Page:
    But having your life savings wiped out is just plan wrong, unless it is deserving.

15. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
  16. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    I agree with the ruling. We should not expect reimbursement for rescue operations. It is like a fee for calling 911. Ambulance rides cost $1000 per mile, nobody can afford to be rescued at these rates. Imagine if the use the sky crane $$$$$$. It was good training for the team since the Meth man was only 1/2 mile from trailhead.
    Don't call us dudes we'll call you from the Happy Trails

17. CarbonLegs

CarbonLegs Search for ultimate ride.

Moto Tech
    Can they go after Cendoya in a civil court ?