Hikers in HJ

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jcampbell, Apr 1, 2013.

1. 4xdave

4xdave #228

PLC Programmer
    People Dont Just Get That Crazy Out Of Nowhere.

Its Always Drugs, Illicit Or Not. If You Dont Think Drugs Out Of The Gate Your Naive.

2. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

this thread is still alive?

3. Bigbow

Bigbow New Member

well, it was updated with the news that the guy was charged for possession of meth. I don't know if it was top shelf crank, but it cost the county $160,000.00 (estimated).

Also, Rossage was about to note that he was merely charged and not convicted. This is Amerika and we hold the presumption of innocence as a fundamental right.

Then Flyn was gonna jump on that comment as being a waste of taxpayer money and we should just make them work it off doing hard labor.

4. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

LOL.. Holy carp! At the end of that interview Cendoya said that he talked with the fire fighters that rescued him and he decided to make that his career. Please God no!!

5. Rossage

Rossage Active Member

I never said that I believed they were just lost and dehydrated. I just said there was no physical proof that they were on drugs...until yesterday.

If OG means old guy then I'm on the way...

You can have my "MTB card" when you pry it from my cold dead hands.... :bang:

Time to go trolling...I mean riding.:beer:

6. jcampbell

jcampbell going Gods speed since 75

Believer, Husband and Father.
    Home Page:
    What is STR OG?

Just a personal observation... Anyone who doesn't think these two were flying is probably flying them self.

7. b3rnard

b3rnard Member

Not including the medical bills of the rescuer who was critically injured. The above is just for the cost of the rescue.

8. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

What did I win!?!?

9. MountainCycler

MountainCycler OTB

Enterprise Architect at Warner Bros. in Burbank, C
    Home Page:
    The plot thickens . .

SANTA ANA, Calif. (KTLA) — There are new developments in the case of two teenage hikers who found themselves lost near Trabuco Canyon last month.
    [​IMG]

One of the hikers, 19-year-old Nicholas Cendoya, has been charged with possession of methamphetamine.

Orange County Sheriff’s officials confirmed to KTLA that the drug was found in Cendoya’s car, which was parked at the trail-head in Cleveland National Forest.
    Officials have also revealed that Cendoya and his hiking partner, Kyndall Jack, admitted to using what they thought was cocaine before their hike.

The massive, five-day search for the two hikers began on Easter Sunday.

It cost nearly $160,000, an amount that some people now think the pair should have to repay.
    “They set a whole series of events in motion that have now cost tons of money the taxpayers, injuries to a deputy sheriff,” said O.C. Supervisor Todd Spitzer.
    He said there is “probably some significant restitution that they’re going to end up owing or their families,” adding, “This has just turned into a big mess.”
    A criminal charge of drug possession was filed against Cendoya on Tuesday, according to Farrah Emami, a spokeswoman for the O.C. District Attorney’s office.
    He is set to appear at the Central Justice Center in Santa Ana on May 22.

Read more: http://ktla.com/2013/05/02/rescued-...a-charged-with-meth-possession/#ixzz2S9Vxca4f

10. marshal

marshal New Member

I raise gophers :)
    Heard a report on the radio, this morning, that the girl was quoted to say that they both used (what they thought was) cocaine, just before their hike.

11. jcampbell

jcampbell going Gods speed since 75

Believer, Husband and Father.
    Home Page:
    All it took was one look at the girls Instagram page that was given out on CBS news and anyone would have known these two like the wacky tobacky, magic mushrooms, glass and whatever else they could get their hands on. Pretty sad really.

12. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    It is still being reported on a national level by Fox TV News. The courthouse will be a zoo on arrangement.

13. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

So if Jack is 18 and Cendoya is 19 both are legally adults, why would their families be on the hook for anything?

14. CarbonLegs

CarbonLegs Search for ultimate ride.

Moto Tech
    Things would be different if she was 17, she would coast into the sunset while he takes a longer ride through the Justice system !!!

Im sure by now he wishes he was still up in the Hills communing with the Buffalo =)

15. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Cendoya not being charged as drugs found in Jacks car. Amount found meth found is trace amount hence the time it took to have it analyzed by a lab for prosecution. A field test may not have left a sample to send off to the lab. Family's will not be held liable.

16. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

It's actually the other way around. Cendoya is being charged with felony possession of a controlled substance. They found 497 milligrams of meth in his car.

The Orange County District Attorney's Office said methamphetamine was found on or around March 31 in Cendoya's parked car in the Cleveland National Forest.

"The Orange County Sheriff's Department was searching his car looking for any information that might help them locate the two missing hikers and while they were looking in the car they found 497 milligrams, or a small useable amount, of methamphetamine," said Farrah Emami a spokeswoman for the district attorney's office.

Cendoya was charged with one felony count of unlawful possession of methamphetamine. If convicted, he could face up to three years behind bars

But my question was more aimed at Cendoya's statement of his family being on the hook for paying back for the services. Not the drug charge.

17. CarbonLegs

CarbonLegs Search for ultimate ride.

Moto Tech
    ^^^ Maybe Cendoya knows something we don't know...

18. BigTex

BigTex Member

writer/photographer
    So maybe I'm missing something, but I often hear people talk about "expensive helicopter rides" after an MTB injury (haven't experienced it myself, knock wood). So bike riders who need to be airlifted out are on the hook for the bill, but if you get lost a mile from your car for three days while (possibly, likely, allegedly – choose your modifier) on drugs, it'll cost you nothing? Yeah, I'm definitely missing something.

Does the paying party (injured vs. county) change depending on the location - Santa Anas vs. county wilderness parks?

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Forestry Dept. vs. County Fire

20. Bikesurfski

Bikesurfski Member

Orange County Register today reported:
    SANTA ANA – One of two teenage hikers rescued during a four-day search of the rugged terrain around Holy Jim Canyon has been charged with drug possession after investigators found methamphetamine in his vehicle, authorities said.

Nicolas Cendoya, 19, is facing a felony count of possession of a controlled substance, a criminal complaint filed in Orange County Superior Court said.