High Sierra Fall Century

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by MTBMaven, Jan 22, 2007.

1. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    This ride looks really nice. High Sierra Fall Century - Fall Century Ride Store

I found it on a discussion on Bike Forum. Link has nice photos and good reports from previous years.

I am possibly going through some changes with regards to my outdoor hobbies, of which I have many (mountain and road biking, mountaineering, backpacking, hiking, camping, and snowboarding). There is a growing potential my wife and I are going to get into motorcycling. If we do I will need to give something up. The most likely candidate right now is mountain biking. I hope to still be doing rides like the Fall Century regardless. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

2. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Brian, I was up there when they were riding this, and to tell you the truth as I passed by them I was jealous to see them riding this beautiful country. I was thinking that I'll probably hit Mammoth again next year, but I'll be bringing both bikes.

And why in the world would you have to give anything up? You can still do everything, just not as often. Plus most guys/gals on scooters are fat or getting fat.

3. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    The main thing is I'm trying to find something fun, active, and outdoors my wife and I can do. All my activities, except for the occational ski trip or backpacking trip, take me away from her. I want to find something we can do together.

It's expensive to keep up with all this stuff. Plus if you don't stay on it, i.e. riding all the time, when you do get out it's not as fun b/c you're not in shape. It's all up in the air right now.

In addition we plan to buy a home in the fall. The though of all these expensive sport and pay over half a million for a home on our salaries is scary.

4. gurp13

gurp13 SolarFederationMember

High School Teacher
    Being out of shape isn't that bad... unless you ride with some of the mutants around here. In which case, you get used to sucking their dust.

And, this sport is only as expensive as you let it be. True, it's not as cheap as, say, walking around the block. But, I'm going to resist buying the really fancy bikes for a while. I need to upgrade the engine on my bikes first. Then I'll worry about bitchin frames and stuff.

5. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    just take some other sport that many people play such as golf. Couple thousand for the clubs, then you gotta buy the goofy clothes. The balls and tees and all that. Then the membership for the golf club and you gotta pay for each game. Plus if you are lazy you gotta either rent the golf cart or buy one.

6. gurp13

High School Teacher
    I have a friend that took up the sport of Rally Car racing. After he did that for a few years, wrecked his car a couple times, changed the transmission several times, over, bought a couple engines... well, let's just say that when he gave that up and bought a full squish mtn bike, his wife thought that was cheap!

So, you need to get a reallllly really expensive hobby then give it up and your wife will be stoked that you're mtn biking!

I have lots of ideas to help. Just ask!

7. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    So let me get this straight. You're debating on giving up something like mtb'ing for possibily buying a Harley (CHA-CHING) because it's something you can do together and it's not to expensive.

Harley owners have the worse case of "upgradeatitus" that I've ever seen. Good luck with that amigo.

8. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    No let me get the priorities in order:
    1) Spend more time with my wife doing something outdoor
    2) Buying a home in '07
    3) Focus activities on a few things rather than a bunch

At this point if I had to give up something I do frequently I would likely give up mountain biking if this motorcycling thing takes off. If it does we will be getting street legal dirt bikes, not those sissy Harley types.

Back to the OP, I am putting this one on my calendar and hope to be able to participate.

9. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    In the Spring, if I was a roadie, I would ride from Mono Lake up Tioga Pass, before they opened the Highway and Yosemite Gate. Throw my bike over the gate and ride to Tuolume Meadows. One of the most scenic rides in the World.

You guys plan that ride and I will rent a road bike.

Attached Files:

10. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Damn Dean, your computer is a gold mine of awesome photos!

11. dstepper

Home Page:
    I spent alot of time on the road the past 18 months....took 7,0000+ pictures. I have visited places I always wanted to go to and finially said if I just got go do it I may never go. It is very easy to talk me into a road trip.

Brian, first you get a road bike, now you are thinking about a motorcycle. I have warned people that once you get a road bike, it is a slippery slope to loosing ones mind.

Of the activities you listed in your first post, you could do all of them on a good weekend and not give up anything. Besides who says you have to be in great shape to MTB, I am a perfect example of that. Just join the slacker rides I put together now and then.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2007
  12. Burner

Burner WAWE

I will too, that looks amazing

oh and BTW.... say it ain't so Brian, we need more people like you in the sport.

I couldn't imagine giving up riding unless I was physically unable, and even then I think I'd try everything first.

wait... what am I doing over here in the roadie forum anyway? I knew something didn't feel quite right.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2007
  13. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    Dean I already have the ride planned just keeping it under wraps until we get closer to the date to make sure I can actually pull it off.

The Plan:
    Drive up to Lee Vining on a Friday after work, stay in hotel. Wake up before dawn and be on the road by sun rise. Ride up Highway 120 to Tioga Pass and Tuolume Meadows. This section is 12 miles averaging 7%, with a 5 mile section with 11% grade. Elevation at Lee Vining is 6,775 feet, elevation at Tioga Pass is 9,940 feet. From there ride to Yosemite Village and sleep in a nice hotel room. Total ride from Lee Vining to Yosemite Village is 75 miles.

If anyone still has legs the next day we could ride to Glacier Point and back to the Village. Total distance 60 miles, 30 up and 30 back. Total elevation gain is 5,500 feet.

We can take a YART bus from the Village to Lee Vining to get the cars and drive home on Sunday.

I have the routes as a TOPO 4.x file if anyone wants it. I might be able to export it to an older version is necessary.

14. sheclimbs

sheclimbs Active Member

Dean, I agree what an incredible trip that would be. Never ridden it but have certainly driven it!

15. gurp13

High School Teacher
    That sounds awesome, Brian! When approximately would the ride be?

16. dstepper

Home Page:
    My thinking was to go before they opened the park and the Highway. Not sure I want to share the road with somebody and their first day driving a Winnebago. I also would like that Tioga Pass downhill.

How far as a out and back? Lee Vining to Tuolume and back.

17. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    Tioga Pass opening is different each year. I think there is a web page that you can monitor the progress of the road plowing. If I find it I will post.

An out and back from Lee Vining to Tuolume is 24 mile, 12 up and 12 back. Another option is to ride up Tioga Pass, continue as far as you want down the 120 towards the Valley, then catch a YARTS bus back to Lee Vining or Tuolume. This way to you get to see more country.

18. dstepper

Home Page:
    In 2005, Tioga Pass opened the last week in July. Even though the Highway is closed, I bet they keep it plowed anyway to allow the Forest Service year round access.

19. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    I'm pretty sure they do not keep the road plowed all year. I remember seeing photos of the plows cutting their way through the snow. To my knowledge the backcountry pretty much shuts down in the winter. If you can time things right you might be able to pass all the way through right before they open the road. That would be killer.

I see two times of year to go.
    Early (June-August)
    Pros: see snow, if timed right with the road opening there might not be that many people yet, waterfalls, flowers.
    Cons: if timed well after the road opening there may be tons of people and cars, bugs, summer storms

Late (September-October)
    Pro: Fewer crowds, no bugs,
    Cons: Potential for no waterfalls

I prefer to hit the Sierra in September in general personally but snow in the backcountry is amazing.

20. gurp13

High School Teacher
    I'd vote early as it would be better for me with my school schedule.

Wait, do I even get a vote? That was awfully presumptuous and narcissistic of me!