Hemet Double RR

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Pain Freak, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I know it's almost required to have pix for a rr, but when riding a double the last thing you think about is taking pix, it's more like survival mode.

The ride started off early, like almost all doubles do. 4:20 for us. There were 6 in our group, from this site it was just MTBMaven and myself with 4 other roadie friends of mine. I thought Ch4os was going to ride with us, but my bud said he was riding with somebody else. It was a good thing he did as this guy is faster then fast. On his first double he goes out with the "Hall of Famers" and these guys are super fast. He left 40 minutes after us and still was back before us, looking like he'd been out for a sunday jaunt.

Ride started off way to fast as it was cold and the rabbits needed to warm up. I knew we were in for a long day so I fell off the back and Maven joined me. I was in no hurry to burn up my legs. The lead group got out ahead of us by a couple minutes and we were fine with that. Maven took over the lead and pulled for a while, but he pulled a little to good and we missed our turn. Fortunately SAG came and got us. We managed to grab a few extra miles in here. Met back up with the group, who now realized the folly of their errors and scaled back the pace. Now it was Maven and myself mostly towrds the front. The pace was good from here on out in my opinion. The sun came out and things started to warm up and it felt really good. We set a good pace, a little fast but workable. The testosterone twins were keepin things pretty much in check so we didn't kill ourselfs. They are two brothers who have a competeive streak and love to pull, if one is off the front, then the other is usually right on his wheel, just waiting for his chance to take over and sometimes they go into full race mode and drop us mere mortals behind. Even Brian got to pull some. I think we finished the first double in around 7 hours. Not fast, but respectable considering we were saving some for the next 100. Brian was starting to have trouble with his Achilles tendon again, so he was out for the second 100 which was probably a good thing as he has only done 3 or 4 centuries so far and if you're not trained for a double, don't try it, as it will make you miserable. The second half was hard, but not near as hard as I'd anticipated. We got out and then had to climb Sage Hill, which will kick your butt, even if you're not tired. Cindy dropped us here like we were standing still. I had to get off the bike twice or I felt like I was going to pass out. Finally we got over this monster and now I felt like I could conquer the world. I knew the worst was over and my mindset changed dramatically. I was ready to ride! You can call it a second wind if you like, but I'm not sure what it was,I felt refreshed and my legs felt like they were strong again. Now I was setting the pace for the group and I kept getting yelled at to slow it down. I did and we all rode the remaing 50 or so together when one of the Testosterone twins offered up a little race to see who could do the last 20 or so back. Well, most people would never consider racing after putting a 180 miles on their legs but I felt so good I agreed. We held up and told the group what we were going to do and invited them to give it a go too, but we didn't get any takers. So off we went and I couldn't believe I was able to hang but found myself conserving energy by sucking his tire. He was really pushing it trying to drop me, but I just stayed right there and let him do most the work. Now this guy is a seasoned rider and knows most the tricks. He knew I was not working near as much and he slowed down the pace considerably. We had been fighting head winds all afternoon and the lead guy will work as much as 30% more, so he slowed to try to get my to go around and to pull for a while. Finally I knew it was my turn and I went around. We started a small climb and I tried to drop him there, but he wouldn't budge, now I was the one working, but we were going slow, so the drafting doesn't work at slow speeds and he was working just as hard as I was. He was really suprised that I knew this trick.Anyways we reached the summit at the same time and the pain was intense to say the least. I buried my head and just started turning the cranks and again he stayed with me. He worked off me for a long time and now it was his turn to go off front. And then he spurted by me, I wasn't able to hang and I watched him get some distance on me. SHIAT! I had worked so hard and now it was all for nothing. I just decided then to see how close I could get to finishing to him. We were now less then 5 miles from the finish. I didn't see him now for quite a while as we were now back in the city with traffic and lights. I hit most the lights and when I made the second to the last turn I seen him waiting at a light just ahead. I timed my approach just right and when the light went green I flew by him at full speed. I heard him yell at me and I could hear him moan as he got to cranking. I was now less then a mile to the finish and had a full head of steam. I looked back and I'd gained even more ground on him. I put my head down and gave it eveything I had left. I looked back again and he was gaining on me, but we were getting real close now. Some how I dug a little deeper and I was able to finish 3 feet ahead of him getting to the finish. Wow, what a ride!

Doubles are special kind of endurance event. Something like running a marathon for 12 plus hours. You go thru a wide range of emotions while you are on the bike. It's very hard, but also very rewarding. Most people can do a double, it just takes training and the ability to ride thru pain, because you will experience pain in almost every part of your body. While you are doing the double you question your sanity, but after you have finished and you reflect back on your accomplishment, it all seems very worthwhile.

Total miles.....214

Total time......15.5 hours

we did have a 40 minute lunch break included in the total time. So we did finish in under 15 hours of ride time.

2. sheclimbs

sheclimbs Active Member

congrats Mikey. I want to be like you and have your engry when I grow up!

3. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Wow that's just insane...way to roll CONGRATS you guys!!:)
    Great inspiration...when I grow up I hope to ...oh wait...I am your age!!!:eek:

4. cH4os

cH4os LIVE IT! RIDE IT! LOVE IT

PMO
    Mike, Thanks Bro! It was nice to meet you and your team! I That was such an amazing adventure!

Nice Jersey! Mike was rolling in the 1,000mi club jersey! What year did you do the 5 Doubles?

Im doing Davis Double 5-20, what other one would you recommend?

5. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    I had a great day out there. The course was perfect for a first century or double. I really wish I could have done the double but there was no way my body would have done it. My muscles felt great. No cramping at all and plenty of legs left. However my achilles was starting to hurt pretty bad again at about mile 70 and my left knee really started to kill me at about mile 90. I had to baby the knee and work over time on my right leg. Plus I knew I would get in deep doo doo at home if I came home at 8:00PM - 9:00PM. Good thing I stopped too, I can hardly walk today. My achilles is all taped up and the knee is still sore. I should be good in a few days. I really need to get my bike fit issues taken care of, I feel like I am destroying my body. I've had one professional fit I need at least one more from Randy Ice and maybe a second. If I can't get this stuff taken care of I will not be able to continue with these long rides. Who know road biking would be so hard on my joints.

The following at the stats from my Garmin Edge.
    Total Time: 6:31 hours
    Total Distance: 106.8
    Total Calories: 6,833
    Average Speed: 16.4mph
    Average Heart Rate: 130bpm
    Average Cadence: 65rpm
    Max Speed: 44.1mph
    Max Heart Rate: 181bpm

6. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Solvang double was my second favorite, but I have issues with Planet Ultra (the lady who runs it), but it's still a great double. My next favorite would be the Grand Tour. This one is around Malibu and also offers the 300 and the 400. Very few have attempted the 400. My riding buds have done the 300 and I'm toying with this idea. All depends what kind of shape I can get to. Even at a pretty good pace, it'll probably take around 24 hours of steady hard riding to complete. No time for extended breaks. But it's in July and stays fairly close to the coast so tempetures are on the mild side.

I got the 5 doubles jersey in 05 ( 1,000 mile club ). That was a goal I set after making my first two. I had no idea how tough it would be, and I'm still amazed I made it.

I don't think you'd have a problem earning it.

7. gurp13

gurp13 SolarFederationMember

High School Teacher
    You're hardcore, Mike. I can't imagine riding 200 miles in one day. But, then, I didn't think I would ever be able to ride 100 miles, either. And, I've done that. So, maybe... But, for now, I'll stick with putting in a few centuries, one day. Sorry I missed it, I would have enjoyed riding with y'all.

8. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Missed having you out there too.

Like I said before, I think anyone can do this. It's kind of like running a marathon, but a lot longer. You get into a frame of mind where all you keep thinking is "I can do this", and then you do. We have been riding mostly a century every weekend to get ready for this. After we did the first 100, I was beat and really had some doubts, but once that big climb was out of the way, it wasn't so bad. In fact the second half proved to be mentally easier then the first. I'm not kidding I was more tired after the first 100, then the second. Weird,huh?

9. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    [​IMG]

Well done. That is an awesome accomplishment!

10. gurp13

High School Teacher
    Yeah, but Mike, you're a mutant and your muscles get stronger the longer you ride. For somebody normal (well, muscle-wise), that's not going to necessarily be the case. Maybe I can wheel suck the whole time or something.

11. cH4os

PMO
    OK, just signed for Solvang Double.. I might be outta town for the Grand Tour, Ill ping you when I find out..

12. gurp13

High School Teacher
    Isn't anyone doing any more uno centuries? :( I don't have my old man strength yet!

13. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:

Now that is funny!

14. gurp13

High School Teacher
    C'mon, guys! Wait up! I can only ride 100 miles!!! Guys? Guys?

15. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

If you want to do a local, unsupported 100 mile ride, let me know, I could really use the miles, and if you want to go at a slow pace, it would be great for me. 100 miles isn't as far as u think, you could do it no problem

16. gurp13

High School Teacher
    In theory (depending on such variables as schedule and spousal approval), I'm game for such a thing. I *have* ridden 100 miles before (Green River to Seal Beach and back) so I know I can do it. But, 200 miles? That's for unearthly mutants!!!

17. new2mtb

new2mtb I'm a newbie!

Slacking
    congrats on the double mikee!

18. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

Lets do 120, you can work your way up.

19. cH4os

PMO
    Roll to SD or Del Mar then take the Bar Car back... that is a popular hunny roll.. its downhill most of the way with the wind at your back... just take an ID to get past Camp Pendalton.

20. gurp13

High School Teacher