Help with jumping technique

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by von, Sep 3, 2013.

1. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Yeah but I'd like this one a little more if he was jumping on a full suspension bike.. jumping a hardtail doesn't give the same sensation at all compared to full suspension in my opinion

2. FROADER

FROADER New Member

Graphic Designer
    I was just there last Saturday and this was my approach, except I didn't need to pedal after the turn. That was my first time there and I did them blind. Probably not the smartest thing to do, but figured they were built correctly so I went for it. I have a background in bmx dirt jumping, so I am a little more comfortable with jumps to begin with. I've learned through the years that the big jumps are usually built to make it so you don't have to work too hard to clear them. The speed you have from the run-in is usually taken in account when the jumps are built.

3. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

The two jumps on MM are a little tricky because they are almost completely blind until you come around that left hand turn. You're view of the jumps are blocked by trees until you can see them almost straight on, and by then if you're going too slow, it's hard to get the speed you need to clear them easily. By the second or third run though you should have an idea their location and how much speed you need to clear the first step down. If you clear the first step down, don't touch the brakes, and you will have the perfect amount of speed to float over the big table. If you case or over shoot the step down then yea, you'll need to use a little more body language to hit the table. A well-built set of bike park tables will do most of the work for you.

4. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    Thanks Jonathan. Ill check that tutorial out. Gotcha Froader and Garrett. Ill remember that.

Speed was my key concern. I was afraid there was too little or too much, especially when coming out of the turn.

5. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

Shoot von, for some reason when I wrote that post I thought you were talking about the Miracle Mile jumps.

The jumps on Westridge are a little trickier to judge speed on because you come into that right hand turn with so much speed and it's hard to judge exactly how much you need when going in to that first jump. When it comes to jumping, repetition is your friend, because as you get more comfortable being in the air the more relaxed you will be. Just takes practice. Hopefully we will have a real jump line next year. In the mean time that Fabien video is really fantastic. That guy has mad style and skills to back it up.

6. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    Fast forward 2014! People are styling up at summit and it makes me jealous. I still cant quite get fly like some of my buddies let alone style. I have however, made steady progress with jumps. I have yet to clear the first jump after the step down on party wave. Still short a little. I think I need to pucker up and take the left/bigger step down.

That is all. See ya up there!

7. bing!

bing! Active Member

I am no expert but this is what Ive learned over the past years.

1) Taking lessons helps! Mind you, it took me a few months after the lessons before it all clicked. At this point, I can safely take a jump and control it's attitude and not land face first :)

I couldnt find it again, but I read a dh mechanic's suspension tune up tips and I swear it works.

2) Rear bucking isn't a problem with the rear rebound adjustment. Slowing rebound down messes with the bikes ability to soak bumps and the handling. Set your rebound for the trail.

If you have a problem with rear bucking, this is a technique issue. Pre-load the bike when jumping. Youre not supposed to roll into a jump, that is a formula for problems. Set it up by loading the suss as the front wheel hits the ramp and unload (lightly if you don't want to pop) as you leave the lip while pushing the bars forward with your arms. This takes practice. Preloading the bike also keeps your feet on the pedals. Yep, this works. The bike sticks to you as you take off as it unloads your preload. I know, I'm full of it :)

You can also add Low Speed Compression to reduce rear bucking. The additional LSC will reduce the amount of travel you consume as the bike loads on the ramp, hence less force for the rebound to counter act once it leaves the lip. Think of it this way, there is less a load on the suspension rolling into a ramp vs. landing the jump. If you don't get bucked off the landing with your rebound setting, why are you getting bucked leaving the lip?

I'm not a great jumper. But I can confidently say, I can safely jump my bike. Good luck!

8. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Federal Investigator
    It would be cool if a shop held a monthly skills clinic here sorta like the scheduled group rides. I enjoy jumps and drops, but I can't hold a wheelie or bunny hop over a sheet of paper if my life depended on it.

9. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Its not the jumping...its the landing.

10. von

von Member

Tax Auditor

Gotcha Ill keep that in mind thanks! I just dont want to start tinkering again. I dont feel like Im a very good tinkerer...lol.

11. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    You got that right. I don't think I've seen anyone get injured from launching from a jump.

The thread title should be help with landing technique.

12. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
  13. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    Oh man the one in Adelaide look brutal. How did that even happen ?

14. SeanC

SeanC Active Member

#2 at least he landed on the paramedic.

15. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    [video=youtube_share;dxo6FzBGnI8]http://youtu.be/dxo6FzBGnI8[/video]

Seeing Bings videos made me want to share a vid of my recent ride. In typical no edit fashion!

Of course I end up with a flat. I get a flat almost every time. Definitely my problem for not pumping up the psi.

I accept criticism. I want to catch up to my friend. I want to hit all the jumps. I don't have enough momentum for anything beyond one jump .

16. bing!

bing! Active Member

Hahaha, you jump better than myself. I need the tips.

17. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Looks pretty fast to me, Von. I have no tips since I can't/won't hit those jumps at the speed you are hitting them. I do know that coming up short sucks all of your speed for the second jump. One has to land on the backside/downslope to keep enough momentum to clear the next one, but you know that. Your buddy is just faster and smoother at this point including a pretty decent whip on one of those jumps. I am guessing if you keep following him, you will get faster in a hurry.

Nice riding!

:beer:

18. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    Haha I dont know about that. I come up short most of the time!

19. bing!

bing! Active Member

Well, you can jump. Carrying the speed is what we need to work on. Me more than you :)

20. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    Thanks Bud! The wind makes it sound fast. Yep I feel that my buddy is pretty fast. Im playing catch most of the time.

About the landing... that is where I have the most problem.