HB bicyclist killed, hit/run driver arrested DUI

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by Aviatrix, Feb 20, 2014.

1. niner_rider

niner_rider New Member

What I don't get is when cyclists ride in the street when a perfectly good bike path is 20 feet away. For instance, I live off El Toro Rd in Lake Forest and I see cyclists riding in the street as cars race by at 55 mph. Just off the street is a dedicated paved bike path. Why the F*** would anyone ride in the street??

2. ocdingbat

ocdingbat Member

sparky
    Damn…this is awful, came on here to hopefully see a cool thread. Instead this. My condolences to the riders family. Rider RIP

3. trailninja

trailninja Going Slideways!!!!

Quality Engineer
    All lanes on the road are bike lanes. The road is not only reserved for automobiles. I know that bike path you are referring to. Last summer a girl driving a large pickup truck had a tire blowout and flipped off the road crashed into a tree and ended in the bike path. I wouldn't consider 55 mph as racing speed. I'd be more concerned with the drunks cruising back from Santiago Canyon.

4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors Climbing > desending

2015 Giant XTC
    No, not ALL lanes are bike lanes. The inside lanes on a multi-lane road are not. And if you "take the lane" on road with a 55 - 60 mph speed limit, you're asking to get squashed. You also have to give up the lane, same as in a motor vehicle, if you have five or more vehicles stacked up behind you. See CVC. No section cite; I leave this as an exercise for the student.

5. Dennis Stewart

Dennis Stewart New Member

Ride in the dirt, it's safer.

6. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

As one who used to commute and ride a lot of road miles.... sometimes it is just that the bike path is plain ol' dangerous.

This can be for a whole lotta reasons but some typical ones are almost always related to ether the maintenance or design of said section of path.

As for me, I no longer ride the road and stick to the dirt. It is way safer!
    Even the little section of Santiago Canyon that connects the backside of Whiting to Modjeska Canyon (Old Camp, the Luge...) makes me nervous now.

7. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Amen - and Live Oak down from the Luge to Cooks....

8. socalMX

socalMX Member

Hit & run last night. Man in his late 30s on his bike was hit and killed last night near downtown L.A. around 2am.

9. eteamer

eteamer Member

Fun Have'r
    The only reason I brought up riding on sidewalks is that I live near where the accident happened. We have really wide sidewalks with little traffic around here. We also have gobbs of people dressed in black with no lights riding against traffic at night. For most, I think it's their only transportation. And then everyone has a fast car and drives 60 in the 45 as there are few lights. Some lady in a SUV t-boned a boy's club buss at my corner last week. I have seen so many hi speed accidents around here that I have fear of driving, let alone biking on the road.