Have you ever taken a bike clinic or are your skills self taught?

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by krishno22, Jan 19, 2011.

1. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
  2. jfromlv

jfromlv trail sanitizer

Student
    I have wanted to take one of Joe's clinics, way cheaper than many other clinics offered out there. I have taken a few from Lee McCormack and the stuff he teaches is invaluable. He not only teaches to make you faster, it is also safer.

3. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Wow!

And for those who don't know jfromlv, he's already an awesome rider! So good that he could/should be teaching clinics.

4. Manny43

Manny43 New Member

blue collar
    No amount of schooling could have helped me to perfect my crashing as well I have taught myself.

5. UEDan

UEDan Member

IT Tech
    All self taught =P
    Probably explains why I suck at climbing, descending, and just riding along(OTB riding home on flat road)

6. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I'm just the opposite. I learned how to ride, but I never learned how to fall. If there's one skill I need to learn, it's falling. While that may sound like that's supposed to be funny, it's not. I should have taken a karate or judo class to learn proper falling technique. As a result of not learning how to properly fall, when I do fall, it usually results in a trip to the hospital with something broken.

7. melster

melster Member

Software
    nating75 just told me he had a conversation with joe lawwill regarding the bike skills classes in Aliso. apparently, the reason why he hasn't been posting classes is because the rangers told him he can't conduct the classes anymore.

That sucks.

8. Dakit

Dakit Member

Sales Manager
    Got an email from Joe last week. He said that they were working out some permit issues with Aliso. Joe said that he should resume class starting in March for the Spring/Summer sessions. He said to look for his schedule on their website within a week or so.

9. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

I heard the same thing from Joe. Hopefully what Melster heard is wrong or outdated.

10. Dakit

Dakit Member

Sales Manager
    Hope they will work it out with Aliso soon. If not, I am sure they can always find other suitable trail for the clinic.

11. unclepudding

unclepudding Fueled by Frosted Flakes

Derivatives Trading
    Interesting that you mentioned that, I remember reading on Lee McCormack's website a while back about someone asking him to teach them how to fall properly. It's funny to think about, but in reality that's invaluable knowledge.

12. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
  13. Jutty

Jutty STR Lurker

Manufacturing/IT
    Mostly self taught (probably shows in my riding...), but I did take the free CORBA clinic that helped with a lot of technical things that I was completely unaware of.

14. M.C. Gong

M.C. Gong I am the motor

CENIC
    Joe said he will also be offering some Jump Classes too in the Spring/Summer time.

15. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Did he mention where?

16. denmother

I wished we were closer to Fresno!!

February 19, 2011
    Introduction to Bike Park Skills and Techniques with JP Sickler
    9:00 AM to 1:00 PM
    Join Trials pro JP Sickler in this half-day intro course on Bike Park Skills. Learn the basics of Dirt Jumping, Pump Track action, riding Raised Stunts and more. This clinic takes place at the Woodward Bike Park in Fresno. To learn more about the clinic, contact JP at [email protected]

17. denmother

I wonder where this one is located? Somewhere in WA perhaps?

February 19, 2011
    Winter Conditions: A Focus on Skills and Techniques
    9:00 AM to 1:00 PM
    Join Bikeskills NW's Aaron Shardelman and Eric Disch and learn how to tame some of mountain biking's most difficult challenges: slippery terrain, harsh weather, and elements that attack bikes and riders alike. Learn how to deal with slippery roots and rocks, slimmy mud, rain ruts as well as how to quickly get you and your gear ready for the next ride.

This half-day clinic format starts out with a brief introduction, followed by an extensive bike set-up process, then proceeds to on-track demonstations with one-on-one student instruction. A low student to instructor ratio ensures you'll get the most out of this clinic. And if you get hungry, BIKESKILLS and Clif Bar will have you covered!

The cost for the clinic is $89 per person. To sign up, contact Eric at [email protected] Or, call him at 206-947-1709

18. denmother

I've always wanted to do a Fluidride clinic.

2011 Calendar of Camps/Clinics

All Clinics at Duthie Hill Park in Issaquah, Washington - unless otherwise designated below

April 2011
    May 2011
    June 2011
    July 2011
    August 2011
    September 2011
    Fluidride offers instruction for all cycling disciplines. All classes are led by professional rider and instructor Simon Lawton. Simon has over 10 years of full time teaching experience, and is the producer of the Fluidride: Like a Pro, the world’s top selling instructional DVD. All instruction follows the proven Fluidride method, which is based on sound fundamentals and proper human movement over the bike.

Learn the proper way to handle your bike in order to have the most possible fun on the trail. Improve your riding by improving your:
    • Body Position: Being in the right place on your bike at the right time makes all the difference. Learn to let you bike do the work for you with correct body position.
    • Braking: Learn to get the most stopping power from your brakes.
    • Turns: We work on all types of turns. Learn proper footwork, and your turns will never be the same!
    • Descending: Learn to use the power of the hill to create control.
    • Dropping Skills: Tired of getting off your bike for drops on the trail? Learn how to take drops consistently with proper form.
    • Jumping Skills: Getting airborne can be scary or fun. Learn how to make it fun and helpful to your overall riding.
    • Climbing Skills: Learn to climb better, and get off your bike less. Learn to use your weight shifts, and concepts like “surging” to get you up the trail faster and keep you on your bike.
    • Racing Skills: Learn racing specific skills such as starting well, pacing, and passing. We have years of experience helping racers get the most from their efforts.
    Downhill/Super Downhill Racing/All Mountain Riding:

Learn from Simon’s 15 plus years experience in the pro ranks. Simon can help you with:
    • Body Position: Get the most from modern body positioning. Simon will teach you to mimic today’s most successful riders.
    • Braking: Going fast is all about being able to slow down quickly and with control.
    • Turns: Perhaps the single most important skill in racing. Simon teaches the ins and outs of all types of turns.
    • Dropping Skills: Learn to drop the right way with correct form, then learn advanced techniques such as “racer style” drops.
    • Jumping Skills: Learn to get airborne the right way – then work on more advanced racing techniques such as “scrubbing and squashing”. Learn to set your body up for that next section by working with your bike in the air.
    • Racing specific preparation: Learn tips and tricks to get yourself mentally and physically prepared for your next big event.
    Cross Country and Cyclocross:

Learn to handle your bike like never before. Simon focuses on teaching CX and XC riders to maximize their on-bike skills in order to find more racing success. Going to the starting line with extra confidence is the surest way to improve your results.
    • Body Position: Get the most from modern body positioning. Simon will teach you to mimic today’s most successful riders.
    • Braking: Going fast is all about being able to slow down quickly and with control.
    • Turns: Perhaps the single most important skill in racing. Simon teaches the ins and outs of all types of turns.
    • Descending: Learn to use the power of the hill to create control.
    • Climbing Skills: Learn to climb better, and get off your bike less. Learn to use your weight shifts, and concepts like “surging” to get you up the trail faster and keep you on your bike.
    • Racing Skills: Learn racing specific skills such as starting well, pacing, and passing. We have years of experience helping racers get the most from their efforts.

19. M.C. Gong

M.C. Gong I am the motor

CENIC

He said his old spot got plowed, but he is working on a couple new locations. He didn't mention where though.

20. Dakit

Dakit Member

Sales Manager