Has anyone ever been killed

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by chubacabra, Jan 22, 2015.

1. chubacabra

chubacabra Threapy Dog

...by something that they have purchased at HARBOR FREIGHT? Just wondering......

There's an angled 4.5" grinder for $9.99. I can just see myself using it and all of a sudden the wheel shears off the shaft and flies into something or someone. Plus they have a complete pneumatic 10" tire/wheel for $3.99, I'd hate to think of any small trailer disasters.

2. bing!

bing! Active Member

I have one of those angle grinders. I'm still alive :)

3. Heyitsdave

Heyitsdave Member

Almost, myself. Their 20.00 cast iron bearing splitter, failed while pressing gears off a shaft from a manual transmission I was working on at home. I bought the 200.00 forged bearing splitter from Snap-On the next day at work.

4. FD Pezman

FD Pezman Member

Smooth Operator
    I used to work as a fabricator on a military installation in ocean side working on very very expensive things, mind you these things cost 250 million plus. Almost everyone used those 9.99 right angle grinder from harbor freight, they last about a year with proper oiling then you just toss them and get a new one. only issue with them was the locking nut would come loose and spin off that holds the head on, just lock tight it and your good.

5. doublewide

doublewide Ride Life....Ride GIANT

King
    But your neighbors dog is not.......

6. bing!

bing! Active Member

? ? ?

Seriously, I had to cut a small section of rebar that jutted out of a cement block in my yard. This was the most practical thing to do. Buy it and chuck it. Surprisingly, I've had it for 3 years and it works for when I need it (cutting locks, smoothing steerer cuts). If you use an angle grinder for work, or will be unsafe with a power tool without a kill switch, Harbor Freight isn't the place to go :)

7. leondelmonte

leondelmonte Member

ive purchased many things from harbor, my advise is use common sense and caution, what ever it is that you buy, inspect it before using it, just to make sure everything seems well in place, and dont expect it to last a lifetime, I got a drill there for $15 3 yaears ago, and that thing is still going great,
    I once got a set of screw drivers from there too, there were like 10 in the kit, but some didnt last very long, but once again only paid like $5

8. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    Dont get the spring compressor. That will kill you. Most other things are just fine.

9. OCMoto

OCMoto Member

Nerd
    That's the truth! Rodgerdodger and I were swapping springs on my Tacoma a couple of years ago using one of those. Suddenly we heard a loud pop and a small retainer piece flew across the garage, the pin was barely staying in. Talk about several minutes of sweating it out backing the tension off slowly and then lots of "holy sh!t" laughter.

10. hill^billy

hill^billy KICK YOUR OWN A$$!.......

rug sucker
    I was almost killed while walking in by the stench of China! Next time you walk in, notice how TOXIC is smells in that place!

11. chubacabra

chubacabra Threapy Dog

MAXXIS HOLY ROLLERS, you are right!!!! It does smell awful. BTW--there's a 99c Store near me that almost smells just as bad. Thanks for the tips, I'll stick to cheap flashlights and stuff like that at Harbor. Its a sad state of the world though that people feed into the cheap tool machine and in turn, they continue to churn out crap. Reminds me of the rotation on KIIS FM

12. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    Do you want to buy and use daily (heavy use) or just from time to time (light use) if it's that latter then you would be good w/ cheap version....if not then buy one that will last for a long time under heavy use....

I bought a jig saw that was very inexpensive b/c I use it 1-3 x's a yr....if I was using it weekly or multiple times a week then I would buy a better more durable version....