Group Review: 2011 Marzocchi 44 Forks!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dino Brown, May 18, 2011.

1. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Group Review: 2011 Marzocchi 44's...

One of the problems I have with product reviews is the fact I don’t trust them.
    I don’t know the people doing the testing. I don’t know if they were paid. I don’t know if those doing the reviews actually RIDE bikes- or if they simply talk about them.

Two months ago, I was asked to demo a fork.
    I was to 1) ride the fork for a few weeks 2) end my review with a simple “thumbs up or thumbs down.”

Before the review actually began, I came up with an idea... 8-[
    Next thing I knew (5) 2011 Marzocchi 44 forks were shipped- with STR’s name on them!

Rules:
    1) Reviewers were asked to keep their testing a secret
    2) They were asked to post HONEST reviews (good/bad/ugly)
    3) They were told not to ask the identities of the other reviewers
    4) They were told not to worry about offending the manufacturer

Test Crew:
    Anonymous: (44Rc3 Ti)
    Wanted his identity kept secret. This person is a respected member of our community. Master bike mechanic. Rides multiple times per week. Rides a different brand of fork. He is also a racer (DH, SD, XC)!

Dino Brown: (44Rc3 Ti)
    Coil fork fanboy! I KNOW my bike. I KNOW my fork. I have ridden the test trails (i.e. Chantry, Fullerton Loop, Turnbull) 1,000 times! I was curious to see if anything could dethrone my beloved Pike!

JeffJ: (44 Micro Ti Air 29er)
    One of STR’s most respected members. Master bike mechanic. Rides nearly every day. Knows more about Marzocchi forks than any other tester. Has recently begun experimenting with other brands!

KBL: (44 Micro Ti Air)
    ...been riding the same bike/fork for a couple of years. Kevin rides a lot. He gets paid to analyze/review things. He is a master bike mechanic. He was the only one to take his fork out of state (EPIC adventure). He also happens to be one of the most trustworthy people I know!

Mtnbikerfred: (44 Micro Ti Air)
    STR Maintenance Clinic Lead Mechanic. Technical “know-it-all” (i.e. expert). Very happy with his current fork. Opinionated. Most likely to break a fork (aggressive… crash test dummy)

Without further adieu…

2. Dino Brown

Thanks for letting me demo this fork.

I installed the 2011 Marzocchi 44 RC3 Ti QR 15 mm on my Turner 5 spot. This fork looks impressive right out of the box. It has a sturdy lower leg assembly with a 15 mm quick release axle and shiny nickel plated stanchions.
    [​IMG]

There are easy to reach external adjustment knob for compression and rebound. The crown has a notch to facilitate easy crown race removal and the lower leg assembly has similar notches for fork seal service. I like these features because I do my own maintenance.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The installation was pretty simple and only took about an hour. I weighed the fork and axle after trimming the steer tube and it was 4 lbs 5 oz. Not bad for a coil fork with 150 mm of travel, I think that Ti spring really helps the weight. The base set up used 3 adjustments ; compression, rebound and an air chamber pre load. Compression and rebound offered a wide range of adjustments. I found the wide range of adjustments tricky to tune because there was an overlap in responsiveness between individual positions. I think fewer positions with each position having a greater effect on the adjustment would make tuning easier. I used the pre load air chamber and set it at 10 PSI and that helped firm the forks dampening characteristics. I think the springs compression rate was soft for my bike set up and rider weight, but I was not able to tell from the owners manual or web site whether stiffer springs are available. After a few runs down a familiar trail, I decided the tuning was ready for the trails. I was in the middle of tuning range on rebound and compression and I had 10 psi in the pre load chamber. Not the easiest set up and tune, but not the worst I've done.

I like technical AM style of riding. I am comfortable climbing, but I prefer descending. As long as I remained seated this fork settled into a sagged position and stayed firm during the climbs, but any out of saddle effort and I began to notice the fork pumping up and down. Pedal bobbing seems to be a common scenario with long travel coil forks. This fork was most impressive on the curvy technical down hills. I liked the stiffness of the fork, the responsive cornering and the ability to hold a line through rough terrain. Handled great on tight and technical, but the handling at higher speeds was unstable and loose feeling. I think the coil spring needed to be firmer. The air chamber pre load is a feature I did not like because my reason for wanting a coil sprung fork is based on the predictability of a spring and air chamber pressures tend to vary depending on temperature, altitude, humidity, etc.. I do not want to have to check pressures every time I go riding. I want to set it up once and ride it.

Enjoyed riding the 44 RC3. The things I liked were; 15 mm axle, service friendly design, lateral stiffness and the appearance. The things I disliked were; pre load air chamber, no optional tuning springs, too many adjustment positions for rebound and compression and, stiction at beginning of the stroke. Some improvements that could be made are to eliminate the pre load air chamber and use shims to stack on top of the spring and have different springs available, soft, firm, stiff as an option. I think the fork set up could be made simpler by decreasing the amount of adjustment positions and providing some tuning tips based on rider weight and style. I noticed some stiction with clean stanchions and I am not sure whether more break in time was needed for the bushings or if this was a sign of a problem.

I currently use a 32 Fox TALAS on my trail bike and I am looking to upgrade to a fork with the 15 mm axle. I like the 44 RC3's lateral stiffness and responsive cornering, but I think the dampening needs some fine tuning issues to be solved.

Thanks for letting me demo this fork and I hope this review is helpful.

Note:
    *If you own a 2011 Marzocchi "44" feel free to post your opinions...
    (curious what other people think)

*If you have any questions, feel free to ask...
    (we are here to learn from each other)

3. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
    2011 Marzocchi 44 Micro Ti QR15 29”

I was recently invited to take part in reviewing a 2011 Marzocchi 44 Micro Ti QR15 29” fork. Needless to say, I’m a ‘giver’ and was eager to ‘help’ ;~) . I am fortunate to live just a few miles away from Marzocchi USA HQ, and I appreciate the support they have shown to riders in the local community. I know this is something they work hard to do and it’s noticed and appreciated by many of us.

The fork is able to be configured at 100mm, 120mm, or 140mm travel, and since my current 29er hardtail is designed for 100mm travel, I had it set up at 100mm before picking it up from Marzocchi, and they took some time to make sure I was aware of the features of this particular fork and tossed in some set up tips.

The 44 Micro Ti is quite attractive overall. The detailed knobs are as good looking as any I’ve seen and mostly worked well. I do have a couple of ‘nits’ to pick here.

The first is that the cap that covers the air valve on the top of the left leg has a very thin side profile and has a very sharp edge on it. I didn’t cut myself on it, but had to make sure I only used the ridges cut into the top of to twist it off.

The second ‘nit’ is that the knob that lies under that cap, the one that controls the ‘volume adjuster’, was pretty stiff to turn. Stiff enough to make you wonder if it was meant to be turned any further. I eventually resorted to using a rag over the top of it to turn it without damaging my fingers.

Those very minor issues aside, this is a good looking unit. I have had no paint peeling, no knobs falling off, and no loose wimpy feeling knobs. The nickel coated stanchions are among the most attractive of any finish I have seen on a fork and I haven’t seen any finish issues in the time I have had the fork.

A nice touch that Marzocchi had incorporated into their take on QR15 is to put the lever on the opposite side from the rotor. This keeps your hands away from a potentially smoking hot rotor, and should be status quo for QR15 for all forks IMHO.

I found the Marzocchi QR15 to be simple and easy to use reliably. The nut on the opposite side from the lever generally stays in place as you take the wheel on or off so it will get tight in, more or less, the same spot, so you can have that spot be where the lever folds into a place that works well for you. The bottom of the fork leg is tapered and the lever tucks in nicely just below that or just in front of the fork leg if you prefer it there. Flip the lever open, place your palm over it and rotate four turns and you will feel a slight ‘tunk’ as the axle is ready to be slipped out. Quick, simple and easy.

The fork is listed as being 4.48lbs (let’s round off and call it 4.5lbs), which is neither super light, nor especially heavy in my estimation. Personally, being a ‘super-clyde’ size rider, I have not ridden forks under 4lbs (other than a Headshock) that were stiff enough and torsionally rigid enough for me to ride with confidence. I have owned a few Marzocchi forks, and this has been a strong point for every one of them. I found the 44 Micro Ti to be no different in that regard.

I had it aired up to about 70psi with the volume adjuster all the way backed out. This put the sag at about 25% with my 260lb clydesdale type self geared up and in a riding position. I own a 2010 Marz 44 TST2 that I normally have mounted to this same frame, and usually have it at about 50-55psi, so the two forks are a little different in how much air it takes to get them at the same sag point. I decided to keep the volume adjuster as was for the time being and see how it went.

My preferred rebound setting was four clicks in from the fastest setting. The rebound knob was easily accessed, turned very smoothly, and has good feeling detents. Most importantly, the range is useful and the valving just flat out worked.

The left side of the crown houses the TST Micro controls. The small gold knob in the center adjusts the compression, and the outer knob dials in a significant increase in compression damping that can range from being more or less locked out to just slowing it down quite a bit like you would for chunky terrain with big drops, depending on where your initial adjustment lies.

OK, let’s ride!

The fork was not especially ‘sticky’, but did have a little of that new fork feel for the first few rides before feeling more ‘broken in’. My first impressions were that the 44 Micro Ti felt remarkably similar to the 44 TST2, which I have come to appreciate as a solid good riding fork. To compare it to another popular fork, the Fox F29, I found the spring rate to be not quite as progressive as the Fox, which is a plus in my book as it’s hard to get the Fox F29 forks I have ridden to use all of the travel without running too much sag.

I hear riders comment about ‘brake dive’ on various forks, but don’t really find it to be an issue. It’s just another thing you adjust your weight bias for on the fly, just like adjusting to an incline. I move down and lower as I apply braking pressure, and it keeps the bike in the travel’s sweet spot. I haven’t found a fork that can eliminate the need to adjust weight bias that can also maintain a smooth ride. This fork also works well with that approach.

The small bump characteristics were pretty good, no top out clunks, no harsh bottom out hits, tracking in corners was good, the fork chassis was solid, mid stroke was pretty good, and I felt I had it dialed in pretty well, but one thing was bothering me. It was on about on par with other popular 29er forks from Rock Shox and Fox that I have tried. They are all very good, and just flat out work, but none have ever had me screaming “O-M-G!!!”

When I picked up the fork and was discussing the features with ‘Bobby from Marz’, he commented on how much he appreciated the volume adjuster. I had once owned a Manitou 4-Way Air shock with this feature and had also found it useful on that, but with the sag set around 25%, I wasn’t quite getting full travel as it was, so making the spring rate more progressive didn’t seem like it would be an improvement and that kind of left me ‘SMH’ at how the range of the volume adjuster could be that way.

After riding the fork for a few weeks, I ran into BFM on the trail, which is not unusual as we see the Marzocchi folks out there regularly, and we were chatting about the fork. He asked me how I liked the volume adjuster and I felt a little weird admitting I hadn’t really found a reason to make the spring rate more progressive and we moved on to discussing other things. So, now it was gnawing at me a little more that maybe I was missing something by not at least seeing how the volume adjuster would affect the ride.

My idea was to turn the adjuster half way in, and then to set sag so that I would get pretty close to using full travel on an average ride rather than worry about where the initial sag ended up. This wound up putting the sag up around 30-32% (around 1-3/8” or a bit more than that). That’s a little more than I would think is optimal, but, what the heck, let’s see what happens.

To use one word to sum up the difference, I would have to choose. . . . . WOW! The first thing I noticed was that small bump compliance while ‘JRA’ (just riding along) and climbing was off the scale smooth for a 100mm travel fork. OK, so now I wondered if it was going to ‘pack up’ when I got a full head of steam going downhill. I was again pleasantly surprised to find a significant improvement in ride quality and didn’t experience any ‘packing’ to speak of and at the end of the ride, the ziptie I had on one of the stanchions was up within a half inch of the crown. The Marz 44 was always good, but now it was cranking out beautiful music like Thelonius Monk on 88 keys.

It took a little bit different approach to set up and the willingness to try something that was counter to what I thought would improve the ride, but I’m glad I had taken note of Bobby’s comment about the volume adjuster.

So, I have now put the Marzocchi 44 Micro Ti QR15 29” fork through it’s paces for several weeks and it has held up admirably with no leaks from the oil seals or air chamber, no parts coming loose, no paint issues and I am genuinely sad to see it go. I have been fortunate to have been able to try a fair number of forks, and in spite of a few niggles with the knobs, this one has found it’s way to the top of the heap in my book.

I have always thought that the 44 TST2 QR15 was a top fork in it’s price range and put my own money out for one a year and a half ago. Now, I have to say that I would likely try to save up for the upgrade.

So, in an effort to not get any more verbose than I already have, this rider gives two chunky thumbs up for the Marzocchi 44 Micro Ti QR15 29”

4. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

secret ha! it was pretty obvious when a bunch of people who would never touch a new marz fork showed up riding one

5. Dino Brown

If by a BUNCH you mean Freddy and myself.... Guilty! :wave:
    (pretty sure you didn't cross paths with the other three)

With regard to Marzocchi, many of us grew up riding them!
    If not for the "issues" they had in 2008, many of us would still be riding them!
    I purchased my first PIKE when Rock Shox was at its absolute low point. Took a chance- it paid off!

:beer:

6. Von-Diggity

Von-Diggity Moderator

unoccupied
    Home Page:
    I've heard some good things about the 55 RC3TI. Tough call between that and the Lyrik. Dino, when you rode it, was it new out of the box?

7. Dino Brown

When I rode the fork, it was indeed NEW (out of the box)!
    Will hold-off on commenting until I post MY review!

With regard to "hearing" good things about the 55Rc3 Ti...
    I had just finished my initial test ride of the 44rc3. A very respected mechanic/racer approached me. He asked what happened to my Pike. I informed him I was testing the 44rc3. I asked what he thought about the new Marzocchi's... His response: "The only one I would consider is the 888Rc3 EVO Ti."

Last time I checked, the 44rc3 and 55rc3 were "little-brother" forks to the 888Rc3 EVO Ti!
    (I was guilty of the same thing.. pre-judging the fork/manufacturer)

8. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    4/20/11

After a comedy of errors, miscommunication, and such, I finally got the fork on my bike.

I needed a 130mm fork with an A-C of about 500mm. The 150mm was just too long for my frame. Spacer Y804424 was ordered and installed by myself. Changing the travel of a fork is not difficult, but there is absolutely no consumer service documentation on this fork. I had an authorized dealer look at the schematics, and the spacer is not mentioned for this fork. I did find it on the TST Air 130. I also found a post on MTBR that showed the AER rod, spring and spacer and explained how to get it apart. This is the kind of instruction that should be made available to end users. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=589331

4/21/11

I spoke with tech support. Great guys. they answered the phone, answered a couple of INITIAL set-up questions and even added some insight about the TST micro settings. I’ll play with it, and see what I think.

The Fullerton loop is a suburban trail system consisting of about 12 miles of horse trails, old rail right of ways, parks, and some single track. There is some technical “extra credit” but mostly moderate climbs and descents with the biggest challenge being some rutted hills.

My first ride was un-eventful. the TST lockout is a very good force sensitive valve. Open, the fork is pretty plush. I still need to play with the volume air pressure to find the sweet spot of progressiveness. Rebound is noisy, and possibly inconsistent. I bottomed out once dropping down a 20ft’ 45° “fall away” (it’s like bunny hopping off a 3ft drop to transition). After that, the rebound seemed to have changed (I went nose high off a couple of small jumps). I reset and checked it later. (Note: I may have had the TST in positition 2 or 3) I spent quite a bit of time trying to get to where I could ride everywhere with it locked. I didn't like the compromise, and the 2nd-4th TST Micro positions were vague and seemed to do something weird to the rebound too.

4/27

Santiago Oaks Regional Park is a versatile test ground with a bit of everything including fireroad climbs, smooth single track (up and down), Rock gardens, medium jumps, switchbacks, drop offs, and flow single track with lots of swells and berms.

My goal on this ride was to evaluate the wide open High Speed performance of this fork.

The TST Micro works best either wide open or locked out, I dialed it in for best climbing performance. Essentially, it has a ton of low speed dampening, until the force threshold is reached. Then, the fork moves like silk (more on this in a second). When standing while climbing, I can really "bare down" on the fork and it resists. But if I plow it into a rock or water bar, it moves so easily, that the bars don't even come up. It took awhile to find the sweet spot between locked out and plush. At no time does it "feel" like a rigid fork (unless you really want it to). It remains compliant, but resistive to move. You dial it in for your preference and riding style, then (as discovered on the last ride), just turn it on or off.

I played with the volume/pressure until I felt almost no progression until the last 30mm of travel (larger volume, higher pressure). Even at higher pressures, this fork feels ready to move in either direction at the slightest inclination that there might be a bump to absorb in it's path. There is no stiction and I think this may be the smoothest traveling fork I’ve ever ridden.

I set the rebound again (for a little more control at high travel, high speed). I rode down a trail called Chutes from the top as hard and fast as I could. I let the bike find it's pace on the steep rock gardens, taking the most difficult lines I could see. The extra trail on the slightly longer fork and additional 30mm of travel really helped. (reminder: It's on a hardtail, so my HA is only affected by the fork). In the middle section of this trail there are several 2-3ft high kickers with gradual landing transitions, I boosted all of them. Pushing the front down the landings or landing “flat” past them. I couldn't feel it bottom out if it did. The lower part of this trail is fast and steep. It has big waterbars, g-outs, and berms. I wont say I was riding like an idiot, but I can see where this fork could help someone who was riding at or over their limits maintain control. This was where I wanted to find fault in the fork. I pushed it hard pumping and jumping through waterbars, and I coming into a lot of corners hot on the brakes, I just leaned it in and let the fork take it. There was absolutely no difference in stability or control under braking or letting it roll. that is to say, even under brake dive, deeper in the travel, it was linear in dampening.

An observation: The negative spring in this fork is a coil, and It's HUGE. it is a little more active at low speeds. It's not a bad thing, but since your below the speed on the rebound dampening, it "feels twitchy". I only noticed it on the up and down short climbs where I wouldn't bother to lock it out again. Lower volume settings tended to feel more solid at low speeds, but ramped up sooner in the travel, and felt harsh on bigger hits.

On the way out of the park we sessioned the college campus and hit a series of staircases. By the 2nd one in, I was jumping into them like a transitions. I kept up with two guys on Banshee Spitfires just fine. I know I've got the rebound dialed, because I had NO pack down on sets of 12-15 steps. I actually steered around a cone at the bottom of one set. It sounded really cool to hearing the "suck-hiss" noise at such a high frequency ;P

As we pedaled back to our cars on the street, I crossed and bunny hopped a 4ft wide island at speed. And it reminded me of something else about this fork: once dialed in it doesn't matter whether I drop rear wheel first and gently tap the fork, land level, and take it 50/50 on the fork, or push it over and land ON the fork 100%. It feels VERY consistent from light impacts to hitting obstacles that should put you OTB, but for some reason (maybe the fork?), it just doesn't I'll check my knob positions for reference before the next ride.

4/28

Precision & control

The next couple of rides are about evaluating some more “tactile” impressions of the fork.

1) This is a 150mm fork reduced to 130mm travel. More often than not, “longer” forks are precieved more “flexy” than their shorter counterparts.

2) This is an air fork. Air forks are generally not as linear through their travel as “spring” forks. Stiction and generally high pressures hinder small bump performance.

I have to admit, I’m not sold on the idea that the 15mm axles are any “better” than 9mm with a good skewer. I have an original Hugi-Hayes hub with a HUGE skewer that I know for a fact ties the bottom of a flexy fork together and improves tracking and off-camber stability. It was what we used for DH racing about 15 years ago. That said, I also run 20mm through axles, and I know how much better they are than the run of the mill QR. I’m on a good quality (DT swiss) wheel with Marzocchi’s QR15 axle. There is no Leg-walk or off camber “twitchiness” with this fork. Under heavy braking everything stays dead straight. There is *some* deflection but the fork remained very smooth while braking over rocks and chatter bumps. I would have to run it at full travel and test for an extended period of time to tell you how the bushing hold up. I suspect with the nickle plating and how (It’s almost ridiculous) buttery-smooth they are, that they’ll still be tight and square after a year or more of hard riding.

At the prescribed pressure for my weight/sag and AER volume adjustments appropriate for riding conditions, I found the 44 to be VERY linear in spring rate, ramping up progressively WHERE I WANTED IT depending on the volume/pressure setting. It may not feel as “bottomless” as some spring forks (I still have some ‘98 Jr’s that set the bar high), but, unless you have a knack for building compound spring-stacks and like opening up a fork before every ride, you’re not going to get this kind of versatility from any other fork. Mating that with what I’ll call a “long travel” negative spring, I would describe this fork as “very active” over small stuff. I could just barely “feel” a gravel road.

5/1

Good XC/Endurance fork?

I participated in an endurance event in a service capacity this weekend. It was a 50 mi ride covering 3 regional parks in Southern Orange County. I had to not only get from the furthest ends of these parks to the other, I had to carry a heavier pack then the average rider. It was fully supported, but I had my own provisions, first aid, radio, extra water, etc. I had to shuttle back and forth over hill or two. This fork is maybe a half-pound heavier than the fork I normally ride. Although I never “needed” the extra 30mm of travel and I kept the TST micro locked most of the time. I would have just ridden my fork open, both up and down everything.

Good AM fork?

The versatility of the 44 is where it shines. mating the AER with TST makes it a “swiss-army fork” I think I could dial it in for just about any one's riding conditions and style. Once set up, the rider CAN change things “on the fly” that dramatically affect the way the for performs in a variety of terrain.

5/3

Summary:

The good: Overall smoothness and linearity of dampening Adjust ability and versatility

The bad: Lack of setup documentation explaining what everything does. User un-friendly controls (sharp knobs, tool required to change volume under pressure)

The ugly: ZERO end user service information TST Micro has 2 out of 5 settings that “work normally” and tech support will advise not to use 2-4
    Published weight inaccurate

9. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

I have a 55 rc3 ti that I got from chainlove. Out of the box I did not like it but I didn't give up on it either. I'm no expert on suspension but I did some research and found that sometimes oil levels were off from the manufacturer, I opened the fork up and sure enough there wasn't enough oil in it, so I did an oil change and the fork came to life. It wasn't as plush as my 2011 rc2 fit van but it felt really good on hits and the bike tracked great on rockytrails and through ruts. As far as my overall opinion about this fork, the jury is still out on it. In one of my most recent outings on a good dh trail the fork felt weird(almost like it was cavitating), but I'm not sure if it was due to the fork itself or the fact that my rear shock was jacked up. Once I have my shock issues squared away i'm gonna try it again. I might throw the fork on a different bike and give it go. At the moment I can only say if the 55 rc3 ti is setup correctly for you it feels as awesome as any other fork including my 2011 van, but just like any other fork it can feel like crap as well.

10. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

Thanks for the comments. Just got a 44 MicroTi and will use these to help dial it.
    I don't see any mention of the "mod" to the internals - Has that issue been resolved by Zoke with the 2011 models?

11. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
    If you are talking about the 'mod' where they cut the lip off of a bushing, I have read that this is not an issue with the 2011 44 Micro Ti. It wasn't an issue for me with the 29" version of this fork.

12. reerun

reerun New Member

I have had the 2010 55 TST2 air for about 10 months now. I thought it was an ok fork for the price I paid, laterally stiff, and everything is still working. After about 7 months I was experiencing too much stichion, and really hated the very noticeable brake dive. If I would run higher PSI the brake dive went away but so did the small bump compliance. I was looking to upgrade to something different, so while I saved up my pennies I decided to service my fork and here is the outcome.

The stichion was caused by a foam ring that sits between the seal and the wiper, it was bone dry so I soaked it in oil for a about an hour. I also noticed the fork oil levels were incorrect, the left side was 5 ml less and the right side was 5 ml too much according to Marzocchi website. I set the oil levels to the correct specs and put it back together and wow! it feels completely different, brake dive considerably improved and the fork is just buttery smooth even with higher psi (increased due to oil level changes)

I have had about a dozen rides since the service and am really happy with this fork, I still plan to upgrade to the 55 RC3 ti, but it is no longer a priority

13. SeanC

SeanC Active Member

This is a huge complaint I have about modern forks. I want a 140mm fork with a 20mm thru axle, but no one is putting 20mm axles on 140mm forks anymore. If anything, most of the 140mm forks now have 9mm axles, and some have 15mm. If you want 20mm axle, you need at least a 150mm fork, and for some bikes, you are getting too high A2C. The Rock Shox Pike seemed to be a holy grail of sorts. . .

It also seems like there are way more forks with 15mm axles than there are 15mm hubs/wheelsets.

Are there any 140mm forks out there with a 20mm axle for 2011?

Thanks for your review(s) by the way, I have been looking into the marzocchi forks lately, since they seem to be the only affordable thing around nowadays.

14. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    *cough*xfusion vengeance*cough*

"• Internal travel adjust is offered within all of our forks using a push-pin ladder system on the air-spring rod. Travel spacers can be used in some cases for even more custom travel settings."

15. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Rock Shox Revelation can be run at 130, 140 or 150

16. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

Testing...testing...

MarzFork 255.jpg ...is this thing on?

17. Dino Brown

Awesome review Kevin! :bang:

Very informative!
    Care to expand on the statement made in the second sentence of your review? ;)

18. joytron

joytron New Member

And just where is your review Dino?!

19. Dino Brown

I have decided to postpone my review until Monday!

Changed my opinion of the fork AFTER I had completed my written review! 8-[
    It will make sense when you read it...

20. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Thank you guys for this! I was on the fence, spend/save for the big $$ needed for the fox (need a 120+ 29r) or settle for a marz. Just a note; the warranty repairs and service from these guys has ben outstanding on the two forks my boys have ridden.

Looking forward to Dino's review on monday - not so much my 'weigh in'....