"Ghetto Tubeless" . . . . really?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mikie Watson, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    OK, I do like their use of the phrase "sealant tubeless tires." Assuming they also have a UST label on them, then that seems to make it pretty clear how those tires are meant to be installed.

But for their rims & wheelsets, why couldn't they just get them UST certified, or whatever they have to do to use the UST label, instead of adding the phrase "UST-compliant" to the mix? Having read their web site I think I understand what they are, but if I walked into a shop without studying this topic first and I saw a bunch of products labelled "UST," "UST Compliant" "tubeless" "tubeless-ready," "2Bliss," etc., I would either be totally baffled or would assume they are all equal.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing tire sealant.

[video=youtube;GeI5ke0BENw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeI5ke0BENw[/video]

2. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Tens of thousands of people are using UST, tubless, tubless compliant, tubless ready, 2bliss ect.. wheel/tire setups. If any of these when done as instructed were truely dangerous you would have heard a lot more. It seems to me the biggest problem with any of these is the user/mechanic. People not using the right tire, to little pressure, not seating bead ect...

But feel free to continue to over think this.

3. El Immigrante

El Immigrante STR's resident Coyote.

Coyote...need to get your relative across the bord
    Tijuana- Land of pimps, drug dealers, hot women, m
    Compliant vs. Certified, two different things.

Based on the link posted by mfoga, I walked away with the understanding that although they have not received UST-certification yet, their wheels are compliant or built to UST specifications. I would like to believe it's a technicality and that their existing wheel will receive UST-certification without any changes.

At the end of the day, there will be arguments in favor of ghetto setups by the ghetto setup users, ust-compliant by the ust-compliant users and ust-certified by the ust-certified peeps so ultimately, it will be up the individual person to decided how they want to roll.

People simply need to make an educated decision BASED ON THE FACTS (not opinions) of ghetto, ust-compliant or ust-certified setups.

I, for one, will be going with a UST-certified wheel and tire setup.

4. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

5. El Immigrante

El Immigrante STR's resident Coyote.

Coyote...need to get your relative across the bord
    Tijuana- Land of pimps, drug dealers, hot women, m
    So their tires are UST-certified but their wheels are pending UST-certification.

6. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Not necessarily true, companies have been know to throw to money at problems to keep things quite. It takes a lot before the Consumer Product Safety Commission http://www.cpsc.gov/ issues a e-mail alert. Personally I would rather have people over think a safety issues than under think one. I would not want to be the one in a wheel chair the rest of my life.

Dean

7. irv_usc

irv_usc Active Member

To go from UST compliant to UST CERTIFIED = MONEY. I'm sure not every brand out there has the money to pay royalties to Mavic.

UST compliant means "YES, this rim is built to UST spec, but we would rather not pay for the licensing"

8. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

Absolutely right and imo part of the problem that Mavic holds the license to a safety related standard that should not be compromised because of not willing to pay the price to certify.
    This from the WTB tire webpage:
    TCS and Tubeless Compatible System are trademarks of WTB. UST is a registered trademark of Salomon/Mavic Division.
    TCS Tires are manufactured under license from SALOMON / MAVIC DIVISION

9. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I would agree from a government point of view but in this day in age people take to the internet to air all dirty laundry, especially when they feel they have been wronged. I mean look at this thread, everyone had their pitch forks ready and as the discussion continued it was found it was a combo of possible incorrect tire and two low of pressure. Like I said if it was truly dangerous when setup correct we would have heard a lot more but it seems in most cases there is an improper setup partially or completely to blame.

10. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    That was sort of my point - that the confusion caused by all the different terminology makes it much harder than it should be to match the right wheel & tire, which could also lead to confusion over acceptable pressure and problems properly seating the bead!

Agreed 100% And without even going conspiracy-theory and implying anyone would intentionally keep a problem quiet, the simple reality is that something like burping or flatting a tire when mountain biking involves dozens of variables, and those many different conditions could make it hard to pick up on a tire/rim design or compatibility problem.

That was my earlier thought as well, but didn't somebody say a couple pages back that Mavic essentially created an open standard that anyone could produce? Or did I misunderstand that?

11. Maddog

Maddog New Member

P.E. Teacher

. Heck, I might even throw in a dropper post for some new controversy with the guys I ride with. Good stuff!:wave:[/QUOTE]

Mikie, if you do this you can no longer give me grief for lowering/raising my seat post!

12. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    As I stated in a earlier thread my bike shop has seen numerous failures and have warned me off. I have rolled wheels off rims bumped back tires and not gone on;line to complain about it.

13. giantschwinn

giantschwinn Member

Stan's conversion kit gets 4 out 5 stars on MTBR with 235 reviews. It must be working for some people.

14. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Mountain Bike Forum Owner
    Home Page:
    My LBS pulled Stans Conversion Kits off the shelf until further notice as well . . . . Hmmmmmm.

But seriously, there is no doubt there are going to be sucesses. Stans aint making it on his good looks. But even HE came out with a Complete System. That should tell everybody something.

15. grimix

grimix New Member

^^^^^
    winnah!

16. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Maybe im old school? But seems to me sticking with tubes and earning my climbs is a lot less trouble. I tried tubeless and was not sold on it.

17. Tedroy

Tedroy Active Member

Designer Web/Graphic
    Home Page:
    Ghetto is as ghetto does. If you want a tubeless wheel set-up get UST rims and UST tires. Toss in some juice and your golden. Pretty much bulletproof in my book.

18. jimbowho

jimbowho Member

Water bringer.
    Here's a spoke in the discussion! I'm a super tanker of a guy and ride alone at a no race pace. My 2010 bike came with Whineman rims and Neo-Moto's. I converted after a lot of thought and reading up. Flats and tubes are not my friend. Since I went Ghetto, I could not be happier. I used 20-mil plumbers tape, basically a very thick and very sticky electrical tape. Made my own sano shrader valves from Moto tubes (I have them lieing around). When I was at the air up stage there was the solid pop's of a seating that took place. Some can't won't just go out and get all new wheels and tires when a current set up works very good. I went stan's sealer.

If I was a (bicycle) racer then I would surely get all serious. But for me my set up is fine and I am confident while riding at 30 PSI.

Mikey, I hated the vid because I knew what was coming. (Moto racer for too long) Looked like you were a tad crossed up upon landing, Ouch. I did learn from you though! Keep landings straight (Not too many landings here) And bump up to 35-F 38-R PSI

PS. Have you been able to laugh, cough, sneeze, spring out of bed or you know that thing yet???????????

19. Pickettt

Pickettt New Member

Thought I was the only one. Now here's something that will boggle some; I ride road tubeless (tubeless tires and rims) and would never go back.

20. bing!

bing! Active Member

Low pressure tires for climbing is bomb. Low pressure UST tires can't compare to TL ready tires with the same pressure.

If you bomb downhills, UST. If you grind up impossibly steep and loose angles, ghetto rules. I don't know is there is a middle :)