Road Ride Report Full Moon Commute

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Doughboy, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Doughboy

Doughboy Simple Man

(As opposed to what was once my half-assed commute I suppose :) yes, I know it's not the solstice... but the full moon reminded me I had written this a while back. Someone once asked me: "Why do you ride your bike to work?" Here's my answer)

I had planned on riding my bike only to the train station in order to get to work early, but the moment I started riding I knew this day was different. I can blame it on the full moon, middle age or some sort of character flaw... but today I needed to ride the whole way. Sometimes one needs to listen to that inner voice. I guess I could always blame it on my bike.

According to some the full moon around the solstice (the Solstice Moon) appears to hang near the horizon longer than normal. I researched it a bit to try and find the answer, but somewhere between wave/particle physics and the consequences of the sun being at its highest point in the sky and the moon at its lowest, it all seems to come down to perception. You might as well ask a poet... or perhaps a singlespeeder. Most of them are pretty enlightened.

Pedaling away from my garage, for whatever reason the moon did appear as huge and full as the predawn sky was clear and wide. I never find it difficult to find justification to do something bike related. I’ve been biking partway to work (among other places) for a few years. I take my bike on vacations. My wife says I have an unhealthy relationship with my bike - that I’d probably lie, cheat and steal in order to spend more time with it – a midlife crisis on wheels. True, sometimes I’m unsure if my biking supports the bagel addiction or vice versa, but one thing was certain: today was the day to ride the entire distance – work would wait. I was not taking the train today.

If it were not for Camp Pendleton I probably would have ridden to work long ago – it’s a natural barrier to cyclists. Closed to cycling traffic by the Marines except for strictly controlled hours and weekends, outside of those hours one must ride the shoulder of busy Interstate 5 for about 8 miles. Once past a certain point a bike path completes the remainder of the trip through the camp. I swore to my wife I’d never ride the shoulder. She always thought it too dangerous to ride a bike on such a busy road - and in retrospect, she's probably correct. But in my defense, every road is a dangerous road when you're on a bike.

Anyway, my usual route takes me west toward the ocean. Once in view of the Pacific I turn south and head to the train station. Today I turned north onto the interstate shoulder. Blame it on the impending solstice. Eighteen wheelers cruised past feet away at freeway speeds setting up a perpetual tailwind. Mindful of my oath to my wife I guiltily rode the diesel fumed wave and pedaled furiously to get the hell off the freeway as soon as possible. Soon I reached the exit – I’d like to say I breathed a sigh of relief but it was more a belching of diesel particulates...

Continuing north, the sun rose over the mountains while I chugged through the remainder of Pendleton. An abandoned stretch of Hwy 101 has been converted into bike path and runs arrow straight for a mile or so, paralleling the bluffs near the ocean. The first rays of the sun had barely begun to touch the far side of the pavement, yet the moon was still bright, clear and distinct. The interplay of moon and sun at dawn is fascinating - the moon always running - dependent on the light of the sun to be seen, yet unable to stay too close – pathetic majesty hinged on a far horizon.

Most people reach the point in their life where they question their life choices. Careers, relationships etc: The “what-if” of the years can pile up haphazardly and suffocate you if you allow them to. Biking to work allows the time to sort through and contemplate the big mysteries while dodging traffic. Some days it’s a silent conversation with an understanding friend – on others it’s a kick in the ass when needed. Biking to work expands your map of the world. If you’re really fortunate you can share the ride and the feeling with others, or maybe just look at bugs and birds and act for a while like a kid without a care in the world. It makes you understand that, yes, when you stop at the bagel shop near the end of your ride and stand dripping sweat onto the counter it’s regrettable, but what can you do? Food is fuel and we’re all sweaty apes – well some more than others. That being said, I usually ride alone.

Along that abandoned stretch of highway turned bike path, rabbits bounded in all directions. However, at the moment the sun hit the pavement four of them neatly arrayed along the edge at roughly equidistant intervals in the sun. Each sat on their haunches along a straight line, peering off toward the rising sun like candy Easter Island idols. The moon danced on the sea haze of the horizon to my left, the bunny line bisected my handlebars, and the warmth of the sun was on my right cheek. My bike and I suspended in the middle, a standing stone in motion. I was beyond alone, I was nothing.

An instant later it was all gone - I was just pedaling a bike again. Dawn was morning and the momentary balance, along with the bunnies, scurried into the undergrowth. The moon retreated into sullen reflection and the din of the traffic returned. I still had a few hours to go before I made it into work – and I suddenly craved a chocolate bunny to eat.

Fifty miles later, sitting in my cubicle researching the physics behind the solstice moon illusion referenced earlier, I stumbled upon a quote from an astrology website. I’m not much of a believer, but as a Sagittarian this still rattles around inside my head:

The Full Moon is in Sagittarius, and brings with it a longing (Moon) for the lightness and adventure of Sagittarius that finds it difficult to reconcile with the Plutonian need to continually re-enter the underworld of the soul to find what is true and deep. This could be a challenging time when we are forced to make a conscious choice: to give up something familiar in order to enter the unknown world of the future. This is a difficult process and requires great trust and awareness, forcing us to rise to the challenge of facing our darkness and transmuting it into light

I have no idea how the bunnies play into it, but even they can sense something significant on the horizon... Oh yeah, ride a bike – it makes you think. And don’t tell my wife.

2. ksterlingc7

ksterlingc7 New Member

I am a long time lurker and you my friend just earned my first post. Incredibly well written and quite inspiring as I sit at my office desk.

3. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    I hope you ride Amtrak home, 'cuz you sure earned some Stone for the ride back!

Great report.

Growing up a swimmer, I've long said that all my problems could be solved in the pool or ocean. Seeing the sun rise and set about 200 days a year from the pool was something I enjoyed.

I've since translated that refreshing mental state to cycling and other activities.

4. Doughboy

Doughboy Simple Man

cool, glad I shared it then!

5. Mythical Wagyu

Mythical Wagyu N00B

Nissan North America - Technical Training Coordina
    Dude, that was so epic! :clap:

My 5 mile commute to work feels like a quick warmup that ends with a cubicle - it's not nearly as exciting, kind of disappointing actually, but it is nice & quick (more sleep for me!)

6. Doughboy

Doughboy Simple Man

yeah, this was my old commute... I've since taken a different job that's about 10 miles away. Still, I miss the old ride. it was a blast even though it meant getting up early to do it!