Full crackdown on illegal trails - Laguna & Aliso

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tracysurf, Jan 28, 2014.

1. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Maybe edit your post so it's not showing up over and over.

2. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    Nothing at all wrong with the community self-policing, which is exactly what calling out that guy is. Riding the trail isn't the problem, spraying about it is. Put it this way: if you saw a ranger in the park, would you tell him/her that you just rode said trail? If not, why the hell would you post it on a public site?

I still don't understand why this is a difficult concept. Is the ego stroke really that necessary?

3. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Whooops... thanks, done.

Ironically, the last few posts have been arguing the same side of the coin - don't post about rides on off-menu trails, and don't re-post about people riding on said trails. I goofed and kept the link on in the quote while asking for it to be removed.

4. Wrecker

Wrecker Member

Consultant; I teach bad vs. good.
    You guys are so cute, offering to do whatever is needed to establish a relationship with rangers and work on getting trails open, yet neglecting the mountain bike groups who try to work on getting this to happen. IMBA is a great resource, SHARE has now joined with them, as a local branch of sorts. There is stuff you can do, if you navigate somewhere other than a simple message board to bitch about it.

5. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    7 pages on this? Screw it, Im back. I like this STR.

6. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Just a taste of what's it's like for us mods and why we constantly have to remind members of these simple guidelines. ANYONE, including the rangers, can view any thread/posts, pics/videos without an account or even logging in.

What's has been the biggest problem about off-menu trails is that mountain bikers are their own worst enemy and often get singled out as the problem even though hikers/trail runners cut and go off trail as well. As for our group, many will continue to ride them until the powers to be close the entire area to bikes like what happened at Del Cerro(PV) a few years back -->
    PV: The axe is falling.....

7. mtbbiker

mtbbiker Member

Car business
    Again what's the point of signaling out one guy out of almost 300 riders & bring undue attention to this trail? I bet quite a few people posting on this subject has been on this trail!!! I don't live in this area & I've never been on this trail before, but it looks like a well traveled trail & if Strava shows almost 300 riders, then I bet in reality several thousand different people have been on this trail, including hikers, families & dog walkers.

I've read through most of these thread & I guess what bothers me the most is the adoption of no signs must mean its illegal??? To mean & I'm going to assume most other people who don't frequent this area often would assume just the opposite. If I were in the area & saw a sweet single track that looked well used & no signs, I'd hit it without question, but if I saw signage indicating: closed, no trespass, private property, etc... Well that would stop me in my tracks & I'd find a legal route down the trail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX

The problem with the signage is that they got torn out and thrown into the bushes or off the side of the trail by those who choose to poach. Wooden fencing gets broken in half, even barbed wire gets cut.

9. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    Wow! I've been off this site for a long time. The more things change the more they stay the same.

10. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    The point is that this guys is obviously an experienced rider, and should know better.

Look, I agree with you about the ridiculous "if it's not signed it's illegal" policy. And I agree than it's a whole lot more than mountain bikers that are using these trails. The thing is, any experienced rider out there knows about the status quo of these trails, and that riders get singled out for usage more than any other group.

Posting tracks like that guy (and many, many others) have online is willfully giving the rangers usage data that is vastly skewed toward mountain bikers being the overall trail users; in effect it's cheaper and more effective then having them patrol. It is handing them usage data on a silver platter that mountain bikers are riding closed trails, and makes it that much easier for them to justify restricting access even more.

11. HardtailBlazer

HardtailBlazer Member

:-k ](*,)

12. Pilas

Pilas Member

And that is the bottom line ... We can bitch all we want about closed trails, the reasons why they are closed, why isn't fair, how we should ride whatever we want, etc. My biggest worry is that if the mountain biking community are perceived as a group of people which not only doesn't respect trail closures, but also brag about it on the internet, we run the risk of pissing off the powers to be and end up with an entire area closed to bikes, and/or more restrictions implemented. As Gene mentions, it has happened before... Off course it would be great to ride the local trails that are currently illegal, but as ambassadors of our sport we should do the responsible thing. Unfortunately, there are people out there who have a negative perception of mountain biking. The last thing we should do is add fuel to the fire...

13. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

Just how to convince fellow riders not to broadcast? A quick google of the trail name (MC) with "mountainbike" at the end gives links to Youtube videos, Geoladders tracks, Strava tracks, Vimeo, and some OC trails site. And that's just the first page. There's allot of people who either don't know it's illegal or don't care that they publish something they've done that's illegal, maybe because "everyone else does it"? idk

14. no worries

no worries Member

I've deleted my post, but I'm afraid a number of people quoted me.

Anyhow, sorry, I probably could have made my point without the link.

15. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    there is one hiking only trail in that area so i still have no idea what your talking about.

16. no worries

no worries Member

Damn, sorry m&mb, I thought his route took him down Laurel Canyon on the same ride. I'm not going to go dig up the Strava but I'll just assume I was mistaken.

As someone pointed out, 100's of people have logged rides on that trail and someone had to be KOM, I shouldn't have linked him specifically.

17. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

Why are you guys worried about nerdy rangers at the bottom of trails? Punch them in the throat and haul ass out of there.

18. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Because they are not nerdy rangers they are sworn police officers with guns and power to arrest

19. giantschwinn

giantschwinn Member

Off menu trails!? I love it when people equating riding illegal trails to ordering animal style fries from In n' Out. Off menu trails!! Extra cheese with that please! LOL

20. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

Ride faster and they wont catch you old man