From MTBR: Mugged and Robbed @ Aliso/Woods Canyon (merged)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by joytron, Jul 7, 2011.

1. ebenke

ebenke Member

Project Director, architecture, technical side
    Best read I've had all week. True or False? Captivating all the same.

Mtn Biking, theft, thugs, rangers, cops, knives, guns, weiners, chivalry all in one thread, friggen awesome ! ! Although a little side story of how the perps were smoking crack with a couple of ho's up on Rock-it would have really made the story even more intriguing.

2. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

I'm sure if the DHer had been wearing a bell, all those pesky climbers would have moved out of the way and this whole incident could have been avoided.

3. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    They weren't smoking crack. They were doping with EPO and having fun with Podium girls (oh wait that's another thread; going on in France now).

4. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    So you think, but they don't call them "Dirty Girls" for nothing!

5. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    [youtube]vPHpiuY0XYE[/youtube]

6. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
    To finish it off, the victim's last post on MTBR:

I was going to stay out of this thread but I thought some clarification of my character is warranted. As before, believe me or not as you choose.

The helmet was forcibly removed from my head with the strap still on while i was in a ball on the ground. The bruises under my chin and on my neck will attest to that.

My keys, tools and pump were in my backpack which was also forcibly removed from me. They removed everything from my pack except a granola bar and my sunglasses which were in hidden/not easily noticed pocket. Strangely they left my backpack.

I earn all of my turns. I dont ride down anything I didnt first pedal up and I am well aware of proper trail etiquette. I am not a strict downhiller, I own everything from cyclocross and XC bikes to full on downhill bikes. The SC is my all purpose beater. I pedal its 41lb a$$ up everything I ride it down. Its a 1X9 w/ a 36t up front and I pedal it up everything from dreaded hill at whiting to Cholla to Luge without stoping.

Im 27, while not as old as the people who accosted me, you cant really call me a kid. Ive been riding for 9 years. Washington, SLO and now So-Cal. I grew up in Huntington beach and left at 18. This incident reminds me a lot of my two buddies being hospitalized by a bunch of older long boarders at Trestles when I was a teen. These "dads" beat two kids who could have been their own to within an inch of their life, one of them never worked up the nerve to surf again and dropped the sport (much as one threatening poster in this thread is suggesting I do, I wonder who that person is?). I consider myself lucky to have gotten out with only minor injuries.

There are "reasons" for peoples violence, but never excuses. As to the people talking about CCW and guns, your all nuts. Dont even pretend like you would (or COULD!) shoot somebody(s) in a situation like mine. Even mob minded *******s dont deserve to die because they have a short fuse and no restraint.

About trails staying open for bikers. My initial hesitation in pressing charges was I did not want to draw too much attention to this. One of the first things the deputy said while taking my statement was "if things like this are going to happen we will just have to close these trails to bikers." I have seen too many trails closed to bikers (although admittedly it was most often because equestrians complained that bikes scare their mounts on the trails). In SLO I was a member of CCCMB (central coast concerned mountain bikers, a mostly older organization comprised of guys and gals in their mid 30's to mid 50's) and FASTA (freeride and sustainable trails association). Look them both up, they are a model for how to keep trails open and maintained for futurs use. Ive gone to city hall meetings wearing a full-face helmet to advocate the sustainable building and maintenance of trails. I have participated in countless trail-days, sweating it out with a shovel. I LOVE mountain biking. I dream about biking, I think about it at work, I watch it on DVD when im relaxing at home. If you mountain bike you have friends wherever you go, you can meet a perfect stranger who rides and have a 4 hour conversation with them about bikes and walk away with a new riding buddy and friend.

Happy trails everyone.

...doesn't sound like the jerk type.

7. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    One of the most frightening posts here on STR ever. :-s

8. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

His talk about a CCW is hilarious....How could carrying a CCW not help? If a mob of guys are about to beat me down you bet your ass I would pull out my CCW....Ill bet at least half of the guys that were about to beat me down would change their minds really quick

9. eruizela

eruizela mountain bike addict

Realtor
    So its ok to rob another person because not following etiqute?

10. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

http://sarchasm.net/

11. INI

INI Clydesdale

selling your blood
    what a sad story for sure.
    hope this isn't true in any part.

BUT,

I have a question that that has to be asked....This "rider" who got mugged and robbed.
    He sure sounds like a avid mountain bike rider. He has been riding for 9+ years and is apart of 2 very helpful mountian biking groups.
    FASTA :)
    and
    CCCMB :)

2 very well known groups in the MTB community.

Question that's bothering me.

Why has someone who rides for 9+ years, part of 2 organizations, Been to city hall to save
    MTB riding in SLO........WHY DID HE JUST SIGN UP ON MTBR THIS MONTH???

Does that seem weird to anyone....

Again i hope this whole thing is a misunderstanding and "our" trails do not get shut down

12. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    Maybe he rides instead of typing about riding?

13. INI

INI Clydesdale

selling your blood
    good point. But someone with over 3500 posts :clap: over 7 years knows that the best way to get support or voice your opinion is in a public setting...I am sure you agree with me

IMO just seems that someone that involved within the community would "post" or ask for help or support on the worlds largest mountain bike forum form the general public.

I think STR is best for So Cal riders but i would bet most of us frequent MTBR also.

14. boboso

boboso Getting back on the bike.

Project Manager
    #1 - this sucks as this incident will shed bad light on MTB riders if it hits the press, #2 - The ass clowns that did this should be prosecuted, #3 - we should, can and will learn from this.

Some may, some may not remember a time when various trails were closed to bikers. So of us remember being at the RMP meetings and standing up for what we do to keep the trails open such as advocacy and trail work, we were a loud shared positive voice. Stair Steps and Car Wreck re-opened, as well as the MTB community getting a bit of positive light for what we do. However as my old boss once said "all it takes is one AH SHIT moment, to wipe out a truck load of atta boys".

I hope that if this is true the couple of idiots that did this are called to task, perhaps it may even be within their own. I was not there, I have not heard of anything (yet) from LCF or Rangers, but the poster at MTBR seems to be legit and stood up for himself on the boards. I hope it is all a hoax... living near the trails it is amazing how the non-rider residents can get wind of these things and it will spin out very quickly.

Think about it... the parking at Canyon (down the street from where I live) overflows into the neighborhoods. I think it's cool that we have such a thriving community and I live right there, some of my neighbors and acquaintances think it's a mess, needs to be stopped and have had confrontations (mainly started by themselves) but perception is reality and impact to us is closer than many think.

Or I am just getting worked up myself... ;/

5369744-trail-closed-no-bikes-allowed-sign-on-a-downhill-trail-in-telluride-colorado-with-out-of.jpg

15. robmcd

robmcd Member

Bartender, Eco-tour guide, Scallywag (trader joes)
    You mean STR isn't the worlds largest Mtn bike forum ?? MTBR means NOTHING to me...;)

16. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    +1 STR is the best forum on the internet!!!! MTB, Cycling, Sport Life or any other type of forum. STR is God's internet based gift to mankind!!!

17. W4S

W4S New Member

I think you're totally on to something. I'm guessing he's a sierra club operative sent here to infiltrate the mtb community and cause an internal rift between leg shavers and knuckle draggers. The way he planned the actual crash is the only thing that i can't put my finger on, but he was able to orchestrate the uphill rider to swerve into him and then beat the crap out of him so he could post about it on the internets, thus helping to create a division that will eventually lead to all our multi use trails to be off limits to bikes. These sierra clubbers are getting clever!!

ludicrous speed GO!

[​IMG]

:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2011
  18. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

So who were they?

The Laguna Rads, the Nads, the Wolf Pack, Sho Air? None of these?

Twenty is a big group for just a bunch of friends to get together and go for a ride...it must have been some sort of local group out there...

19. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    I've heard that they are a new all-gay MTB club called the "Sisters". The real story is that the 'victim' made a derogatory statement about the pink lycra they wear. [-X
    Naturally he isn't telling the whole story! ;)

20. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    [​IMG]

WHO! WHO DOESN'T WANT TO WEAR THE RRRRRIBON??