Frame skin

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by RydeMTB28, May 7, 2014.

1. RydeMTB28

RydeMTB28 Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2014
  2. RydeMTB28

RydeMTB28 Member

3. chrturne

chrturne New Member

I have it (I think), but not really by choice. I picked up nearly new/used frame that the owner had it installed on. I have to say after seeing the install video that the stuff goes on great or mine was professionally done.You can’t even tell it’s there unless you really look hard. It does change the finish a bit. My flat carbon looks even more flat, but I like that. Oh, and you need to be cautious if you like to hang your bike on a rack as it pulls at the film.
    As for functionality? I’m sure it will save those pesky nicks and scratches. I don’t yet have any major nicks or dings but it’s hard to say if it’sjust not happened yet or the skin saved me? FYI, I have about 200 miles on it in what I would consider fairly rough use.
    If you're weight conscious I would dig deeper into the impact as my build weighs in a little more than I thought it would comparatively.Bottom line = Given relatively cheap price for the kit and whatseems to be a very clean install if you take your time, I would say go for it. I bet you get the value back on resell and you have that extra piece of mindwhen hit the crap.

4. kaboomims

kaboomims New Member

I just received it for my bike and fork and it looks fantastic. You almost can't tell its there, and it fits really well. We'll see how it holds up.

I had my buddy who does clear bra's install it for me and he said it took and hour and was super easy.

5. strobe

strobe resident noob

You had a buddy who is experienced with installing this type of material, take an hour to put it on? So, inexperienced users will take 3 hours and end up with at least 10 fingerprints, 3 large air bubbles, and a crooked downtube. lol.

I use the helicopter tape rolls you can find on Amazon. It has taken me a while to get used to using it cleanly. I like that these kits are lazer cut for a good fit, but, i would advise taking your time and sometimes even a buddy would help out if any of the pieces are large to line them up, keep them from rolling, squeegie them on. Start with small pieces to get the hang of it first.

6. kaboomims

kaboomims New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was hard to get good pictures of it, hard to see on the camera phone, but you can see the lines where it stops and starts again.

7. strobe

strobe resident noob

Is that the matte version? Looks really good with the matte paint.

8. kaboomims

kaboomims New Member

Yes. If your bike is matte the gloss looks terrible. Ask me how I know lol ding dong