Fox rp23 why won't you lock out?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by station, Mar 13, 2008.

1. station

station Is this thing on?

Hi, so I've had this shock for about a year now and it's cool but I can't seem to ever really "lock it out". No matter how much air, or how hard I turn that blue arm it's still squishy. I mean, yeah it's not as squishy but it's no hardtail* The LBS tells me people used to blow out shocks that locked out all the way and the squishy feel is normal.

*You know the triad right? That thing locks out solid.

Also, what's with this pro-pedal? I mean, no one (including Fox online-or the operator's manual) can really tell me what is stiffer 1,2,or 3. I mean they can tell you what is the "higher setting" but what is that? They all three feel about the same.

Help before I trade this for a triad or some specialized rear shock.

2. Solo

Solo Wanna ride?

Sort of a misconception, no rear shock will fully lock out and feel like a hardtail (trust me, I've tried). Even in lockout mode, both the RP23 and Triad have a little bit of travel.
    They both also have a blow off feature meaning that the shock will compress through its travel (intentionally) if you land a big hit in the lockout mode. This protects both the shock and your frame gussets from bending or breaking.

A better idea idea to lock it out is to jam a big stick between the frame and rear triangle! :bang:

3. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    Isn't the specialized rear shock simply a re-badged and possibly re-valved Fox? Also, *cough*DW-LINK*cough* works even with the pro-pedal turns off for climbing! :bang:

4. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    Do you have an RP3 or a newer RP23? The differences between settings on the older RP3 are not nearly as noticeable compared to the new RP23. If you put a newer RP23 in pro pedal on #3 it is pretty much locked out. If you've got the older style RP3 then send it to PUSH or get a newer RP23.

5. jschwart73

jschwart73 New Member

The Triad is junk, don't "upgrade" from a RP23 to a Triad.

I swapped out the Septune on my Stumpy to a RP23 and it has been a great shock. To be honest, I started off using ProPedal3 when climbing and have slowly ratcheted it down to PP1. When climbing technical obstacles, it simply works like butter for me.

Also, you mention adding air to control bobbing - Try to avoid that, it's not the purpose of the air in your shock. Use the air to set sag and then control dampening with the rebound knob and ProPedal setting. If you check the manuals on Fox's site, you'll find recommended sag settings depending on the length and stroke of your shock.

Don't let the bob bother you, your bike actually might be working quite well for ya. :)

6. Jman

Jman Live Free, Ride Hard

Home Page:
    I have a Triad on my FSR XC and when I locked it out on the steep pavement climb at Fontana it is LOCKED period. I know that it'll blow-of if I forget to reset it but there is a noticeable difference between the two three settings. Trying to pedal with the Pro-Pedal off is like being on a pogo stick...it's great for the DH section though. Good luck with it.

7. station

it's the rp23. What does push do exactly? Is it worth the cash?

yeah dw-link. ha

8. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    Push modifies the internals of the shock and custom tunes it to your weight, bike and riding style. They can add more platform and at the same time make it much more plush when not in pro pedal. If you have the RP23 in pro pedal mode on #3 and aren't satisfied with the amount of "lock out" then there could be something wrong with your shock. Give Push a call, www.pushindustries.com

9. station

maybe I should trade for a brain fade and have some posts welded on to handle the brain part? ;)

10. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

okay, here's what I've dealt with regarding the RP23:

On my trek, it works amazingly. the setting is stiffer the higher the number. 1 being the lightest, 3 being the stiffest. In my experience, there is a noticeable difference between the three, as well as a very noticeable difference between open and propedal modes (open with lever away from air valve, propedal with lever to the same side as the air valve).

If you aren't noticing a difference between the two, try setting it up for the proper sag in open mode. Then go ride around and play with the settings. In Pro-pedal 3, i can be out of the saddle mashing and the suspension will only move in response to bumps and not pedaling. If that doesn't work, you might have a defective shock and might conside having fox take a look at it.

11. Pato

Pato Stop stealing my thunder!

Computer/Networking nerd
    The RP23 does NOT have a lockout. The blue lever is to turn the ProPedal (platform) on and off. The knob with the numbers is to set the amount of ProPedal. I think you need a new lbs if they couldn't tell you that much. :-k ;)