Fourth-grader wins bicycle essay contest

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kid A, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    Winning essay that got kid honored on stage at amgen race..Smart kid!!!:bang:

My bike makes me happy! I love riding it every day! When I ride on it, the wind blows in my face and I feel great. I see nature and beautiful things all around me. I see little animals and birds flying and running around. I see trees. I see the crystal blue sky and the white fluffy clouds over my head. I feel peaceful. I feel at one with nature when I am on my bike.

My body feels strong when I’m on my bike and it clears my mind as well. I get stronger every time I go out. I know how good it is for my body and I think everyone should bike, to make their bodies stronger and healthier. It is also very good for your mind because biking helps you think about things and helps you get the right answers. The happiness and freedom I experience while on my bike clears my mind so I am able to think clearly and solve problems.
    I also enjoy riding with my friends. My friends and I love to ride around. We talk about things, enjoy looking at all the animals, and we race up and down hills. Biking makes our friendships stronger. We share laughter together, secrets, and talk about who we are going to be when we grow up. We even help each other solve things that are wrong in our lives. I even enjoy riding with my brother. When we ride together, I feel like he is my friend, not my brother! Biking is fun for the both of us so we don’t fight! We laugh and play together and use our imagination. When we ride on our bikes, we actually become closer. When I am an adult, I want my brother and I to continue riding our bikes together. I want to keep our relationship strong, because I love him.
    I remember when I got my first bike. I was coming home from school and I saw a bike in the driveway. I looked at my new bike. It was a shiny pink bike with pretty designs on it. I said, “I will keep this bike for the rest of my life and will give it to my children when I am all grown up.” I will bike for the rest of my life, and when I am an adult, I will ride with my children and show them the joys of bike riding.

That is how my bike affects my life! “Now people … hop on your bikes and GO!!” A bike is an amazing tool for you to use — for exercising, playing, thinking, and seeing nature. If everybody rode a bike, the world would be a better place!:bang:

2. boludo

boludo Member

Money Manager/Finance
    That is by far the smartest 4th grader ever. That was an out of the park at bat. I say Nobel Prize or at least a Pulitzer is in her future for that.

3. DownHillPhil

DownHillPhil Team Rider

Photography
    4th grader my ass - this stinks of chain letter propaganda.

good message though.

4. Kid A

working 4 da man
    you're a bitter man my friend ;) go ride your bike!!!

Tour of California - Tour Curriculum
    2009 Solvang Time Trial Essay Contest
    A essay writing contest sponsored by he City of Solvang & Amgen Tour Solvang Local Organizing Committee is being held for 4th through 6th grade students in all the Santa Ynez Valley Schools (and Home-schoolers)
    Essay Topic - How My Bicycle Affects My Life
    Prizes: One winner from 4th grade, 5th grade and from 6th grade will be chosen and receive official Amgen Tour of California t-shirt, hat and pin. Grand Prize winner will receive a Specialized Mountain Bike & Helmet from Dr. J’s Bicycle Shop in Solvang valued at $350.00. Grand Prize Winner will be honored on Stage during the Solvang Time Trial on February 20, 2009 and essay published in area media.
    Deadline: Submit all entries no later than Noon, Monday, February 9, 2009 by mail, email or delivered to:
    John Padfield, Education/Community Outreach Director,
    Solvang Local Organizing Committee, Amgen Tour of California
    C/O Solvang City Hall, 1644 Oak Street, Solvang, CA 93463
    Or email your entry to: [email protected]
    Rules:
    1. Winner will be selected based on composition, style, clarity and topic relevance. 2. Entries must be double-spaced typed, and limited to no more than 500 words. 3. All entries must be received by the deadline date/time to be considered. 4. Parents of all contestants must sign and submit accompanying standard release form. 5. All entries must be include essay, release and entry form.
    Download entry form at: www.tourofcalifornia-solvang.com or
    www.tourofcalifornia-solvang.com/media/2009SolvangTimeTrialStudentEssayContestEntryForm-FINAL.pdf
    Why?:
    In preparation for the Amgen Tour of California professional cycling road race, a specially developed classroom curriculum is being distributed to fourth- through sixth-grade instructors and students in the 16 California "host" cities selected for the 700-mile race scheduled for February 14-22, 2009. Solvang and the Santa Ynez Valley will host the Stage 6 Individual Time Trial on Friday, February 20, 2009. A free English & Spanish booklet given to students provides information about the state of California, including targeted lesson plans that use cycling as a means to teach core subjects such as math, science, geography and health. This essay contest is an opportunity for students to participate and learn more about the benefits of cycling and their community. For complete details on all aspects of the race, visit www.amgentourofcalifornia.com or www.tourofcalifornia-solvang.com

5. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Great article. Is the author mentioned or pictured anywhere? Since their 1st bike was pink, is it a girl that one? I think an adult help her write it!!! ;)

6. Kid A

working 4 da man
    or maybe it was foshizzle;)

did not see pic but this winner was Nine-year-old Kayla Plater, a fourth-grader at the Family School in Los Olivos. i think they had contest for a few age groups

7. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    ..and a child shall lead them....

This should be required reading by everybody on STR as afterall, aren't we just kids in grownup bodies...:bang:

8. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Is there a link?

9. Kid A

working 4 da man